PDA

View Full Version : Air Intake/pod

rokkuchan
05-10-2004, 02:13 PM
Seems like some owners on this forum got their air intake customed? So do I just go into any Car Mod shops and they do it?? I haven't actually asked around yet so how much would it cost? I live in Adelaide btw, if anyone here with a jazz and got their stock air intake changed let me know.

I intend to get the VAFC2 but ppl say need atleast the coldair intake change first before getting the vafc2 for any little noticeable effects.

thx.

Jus-10
05-10-2004, 03:08 PM
There are a few options you can take here.

1. Modify the stock box with a cold air feed (cheapest option)

2. Buy somthing like the A'pexi Power Intake and work with that - this includes a cast alloy intake pipe and filter. (this is what I have done)

3. Get a custom made intake pipe with a pod filter and work with that. (This is what Petrovski has done)

If money was no object and I could start again, I would go for option 3.

To give you a quick run-down on mine, here are the details and cost:
* A'pexi - $250
* Custom shield - $150 (I think)
* Fog light garnish (OEM Honda part) - $80
* Cold air feed - $100 (this included fitment of the fog light garnish)

Pretty damn expensive now I look at it.....

Option 3 will cost about the same, but it should be more effective.

FEL12X
05-10-2004, 04:30 PM
i know my frined got a "ARC" style like aluminium air intake box fit straight into his jazz engine bay and that cost him less than 600 , if you want you can ask me for a photo of his car. you dont need to custom make..so trouble

petrovski
05-10-2004, 05:56 PM
Modifying the stock box is the easiest option you just take the bottom half of the pipe underneath off and then $30 for an autotechnica pipe from autoone.
Run the pipe from the foglight to the bottm of the middle box of the stock airbox and you're done! Very simple and it doesnt take long.

As for the custom job . . . .
mine will prob be in the same ball park as Jus-10's.
Only difference is where he has Apexi - $250, mine will be almost exaclty the same price except we'll have different pipes.

Pete :)

Jus-10
05-10-2004, 08:00 PM
ARC do make a box sure, but you will need to figure out a way to shield the filter from the hot air and still run a cold air feed.

They do look pretty damn hot though...

rokkuchan
05-10-2004, 08:40 PM
Hey Just10, did you fit everything yourself??
Well I think I prefer option 2 from your list. I don't know any technical installation stuff so doing things myself isn't gonna work. So if i go to those Mod Shops, they can custom make those intake pipes/ shilelds etc?

Can everyone with a CAI installed post their pictures here so i can have a look??? and also YES to that ARC one.

Thanks.

Jus-10
05-10-2004, 09:36 PM
I'm having trouble with my computer, but if you go here (http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=217&sort=1&cat=518&page=1) you can see a pic of how mine is currently set up. You can see the shield over the fileter and you can see the fog light garnish that has been installed. The cold air feed sits directly behind that and goes pretty much straight to the filter.

I sent some decent links to Petrovski the other day with some good shots of different intakes. I don't have them any more, but he may have kept them and might post them up here.

The pic below shows it it looks with just your standard bolt-on A'pexi kit:

petrovski
05-10-2004, 10:21 PM
Heres the link to the cars jus-10 is talking about:

LINK (http://vrrroommm.tripod.com/)

click honda fit in the top left and then engine covers under each car.

the pics wont load sorry

and another one:

http://autoshow.permaisuri.com/Content/viewimage.asp?AutoID=20040831215244&Filename=50784.jpg

jazz12
06-10-2004, 12:24 PM
hey guys, does a lot of spray from e.g. the wheels of the car in front in really wet weather cause any problems with an intake from the foglight area? i'm pretty ignorant about these things and also want to put in a cold air intake. Thanks!

Jus-10
06-10-2004, 02:33 PM
Nah man no real problem with the rain/water. If you have a 100% sealed box, then sure it will act a bit like a vaccuum cleaner, but it's not going to cause any issues.

It's not going to scoop up water and any water that gets in has to travel a fair way and will require a lot of force to make it travel vertically and in to the filter.

Hyperlock is when the engine just sucks in water...droplets won't even get past the filter.

VintAGe_618
06-10-2004, 08:53 PM
Got this from HongKong. Comes with simolta high flow filter. Direct bolt on. Best thing about this is filter size same as stock. :D
http://img5.exs.cx/img5/9131/airbox.jpg

rokkuchan
06-10-2004, 09:08 PM
Hey jus10,
you have VAFC2 right? well reading from your signature or whatever.
Is there much difference and work well with your CAI?? I don't know if i should get it installed as much as I wanna because I probably don't know how to set anything and get it 'detuned' instead of getting improvements.
Do ya have to get it dynotuned?? Cuz the place Im getting from is kinda cheap and its where I got my RSM installed. They don't have dyno testing utilities. Is there like a default setting or go back to factory settings?

thnx

rokkuchan
06-10-2004, 09:11 PM
oops sorry just10, your signature said "Mods to come"... didn't read properly..

well for anyone who has a VAFC2, could u read my previous post? thnx.

FEL12X
06-10-2004, 10:14 PM
vintage618 how come you have this photo, thats my mates car!!!!

TypeG
06-10-2004, 10:43 PM
that's the box i want to buy.........
i heard they are good since they look clean and performance well

rokkuchan
06-10-2004, 10:54 PM
So anyone got the Apexi VAFC2 on their Jazzes? Read my previous post on page 1.

TypeG
06-10-2004, 11:41 PM
dun worry about it unless u got header, intake and exhuast done or it is just waste of money to tune it

VintAGe_618
07-10-2004, 01:04 AM
vintage618 how come you have this photo, thats my mates car!!!!
I took the photo of his car in HK when I was there. I bought a unit of it and install in mine. Looks the same of coz! :D

petrovski
07-10-2004, 02:06 AM
rokkuchan - id say yes to getting it dynotuned bc if you do it urself (unless you're very good at this sorta stuff) it wil be very rough tuning and you wont get the most out of it.

Jus-10
07-10-2004, 08:29 AM
The pic no work for me!

I have spoken to a couple of people about tuning of the VAFC2. At the end of the day I will be getting my dyno tuned (if it ever makes its way from my living room to my car). However one guy has said don't bother with dyno tune and just tune it on the road because that is where you will do most of your driving. Of course you will still need someone experienced to do it this way, but for me, if you are going to spend the $$, you may as well do it properly and do it on the dyno so that it can be tuned correctly with the aid of instruments rather than just by feel.....

I have seen a few Jazzes around Sydney running the VAFC2 without any obvious mods (read, no exhaust or anything). Whether it does anything is another question...

I won't be fitting mine until I get my exhaust side of things sorted, whic should hopefully be before the end of the year.

muli
07-10-2004, 02:38 PM
I took the photo of his car in HK when I was there. I bought a unit of it and install in mine. Looks the same of coz! :D

how much does it cost?

Jus-10
07-10-2004, 03:53 PM
The pic is working for me now....

I seriously don't understand how this could be of benefit, unless it works on some strange priniple similar to that of the HKS turbo kit which mounts the intercooler in the same place???

I still believe that for the same money, a custom setup will give better results.

TypeG
07-10-2004, 05:19 PM
nah....
this box proved to have improvement and it look better than a custom job and cheaper.
this box is for more amount of air inside the airbox which seal all the hot air out
from what the magazine said, it give great improvement just like those ARC airbox.

Jus-10
07-10-2004, 08:56 PM
Yeah but where is it getting it's air from??? Looks to me as though it is getting air from only the engine bay? (as I said a weird design like the HKS turbo kit - which no one seems to able to explain/justify except a "magazine said it was good")

How is a bit less than $600 cheaper than a custom job? If you look at something like what Petrovski is doing, you are looking at about $350-$400 all up and it will be getting a constant stream of cold air.

I would suggest the surface area of the filters are pretty much the same so it won't be drawing in any more air. My guess is that this box would perhaps give better low end response (compared to a custom pod setup) as it is similar in design to the factory box. That said, you may as well run the factory box with a Spoon or Trust replacement filter and a cold air feed to it. It will cost you about $200 all up at most and will give better results because you are getting cold air, and a fair bit of it too!

Remember, the key to a well designed intake is cold air.....not necessarily just the flow.

TypeG
08-10-2004, 12:19 AM
lol
i have no method as even i get my mag scan, u cant able to read
but is fine if u think pod is better than box
but for me, i always think box is better for a NA car....
and that box cost around $200 which work like a heat shied and get the cold air at the buttom or CAI which is quite well design and look clean

civiceg9
08-10-2004, 12:37 AM
Open air box can more better airflow in. The box interior is larger hence better air flow. Also shielding it from hot air from the engine bay.
It work just the same as the ARC air box without the price. If u going for good power range band, a box is better. If u want out right power just get an open element.
Spoon factory manager also say for street use is better to just get a box or just a replacement filter.

Jus-10
08-10-2004, 08:42 AM
If that box is $200 then fine, that's pretty cheap! Did you mean $600HK?

You can't draw air from underneath on that box because the air would go straight in to the engine without passing through the filter? That is why I believe it would be better to modify the stock box with a replacement filter. Similar dimensions all round, but you will have a cold air feed and a 100% sealed box....It won't look as pretty sure, but it will work better.

Anyone got any more info on that box?

supatt
08-10-2004, 09:22 AM
i agree with jus-10, i think that the box looks good....but also looks like it draws air from inside of the engine bay...is there meant to be another cover on the filter?....

TypeG
08-10-2004, 10:38 AM
no
this box can get a CAI done like a stock box which pretty much like a stock box but allow more air throw into the box
also it is no such thing drawing air from the engine coz this box is heat sheild and when yr car is runing, all yr air will suck from yr CAI plus heat air is usually go to the top to the bonnet so the cold air will feed the box up. i tried pod in my ITR but i will just go back to the replacement. ARC also a box and it sell way more than a pod with CAI coz it is good. Just my point as I try on my civic b4, it LOOKs like faster but actually not......
more info of the box......
i will get one on Jan and I will let u guys an review
it is my bad to miscalulate the price
it is around $1300/5.5

Jus-10
08-10-2004, 11:26 AM
Unless there is another filter inside that box (something we can't see in the pic), there is no way you can attach a cold air feed to the underside of the box unless you want dirty air going straight down your engine...

I'm not trying to argue that one is necessarily better than the other becaue I don't know the full specs on that particular box, but based on that one pic I have seen, it's not going to be better at all.

Has anyone got more pics of the box? I really want to see how it works now....

VintAGe_618
08-10-2004, 03:36 PM
To complement the box, my bonnet is not stock. It comes with air vents for hot air within the engine compartment to escape thus has a lot of cooling effect. I touch the strut bar within my engine compartment and the same bar in my friend's with stock bonnet after travelling, the difference is great. His is real hot while mine is warm. Maybe that will help in the cold air intake?? ;)

TypeG
09-10-2004, 03:10 AM
yrs is GD1, u need more low end i assume
=)

VintAGe_618
09-10-2004, 01:27 PM
GD1 low end is already impressive. Max torque is delivered at a low 2800rpm where as GD3 takes a much higher 4000 + rpm for that to happen. GD1 actually leads GD3 for a short distance before the GD3 overtakes in the higher revs. Try it yourself.... :D

TypeG
09-10-2004, 02:39 PM
i try both already.....
lol
dun realized this....

bagaichiban
09-10-2004, 02:42 PM
What do you guys think about Blitz Sonic power metal pod filter on a Jazz? i like the concept of it...and also thinking getting one seriously. i am getting some quote now, and if the price is reasonable, i will go for it for real.

but i guess the real effectiveness is not as good as what this concept might show...look at the link for the detail~

http://www.blitz.co.jp/products/aircleaner/sonicpower.htm

http://www.blitz.co.jp/products/aircleaner/sonic-1.gif

btw, hehe...TypeG, i know u gonna disagree with me here~lol~~ :D But i just love the design of this pod filter...

Cheers

Ian

MRFIT
10-10-2004, 11:20 AM
looks good, keep us updated.......how much did u get quoted? from Aus or HK?

Jus-10
10-10-2004, 11:21 AM
If you go for something like this then get a custom pipe made up so the filter points in to the corner (like Petrovski's), then you can attach the cold air feed to the end of it and run it to the front of the car....

That should do the trick nicely.

muli
10-10-2004, 12:42 PM
would this be any good, it goes for somewhere around 40,000YEN

http://laststation.com/photo/new_item/fit/power_box_l.jpg

TypeG
10-10-2004, 01:30 PM
it look good
coz the thick pipe will collect lots more cold air from CAI (if u have one) to feed yr car
so think thicker the pipe is (assume u have enough cold air) it is better

Jus-10
11-10-2004, 08:33 AM
That's the Last Station intake right?

The thicker the pipe is it is better? Man some of the things you say crack me up TypeG.

Just because it can collect more air doesn't mean it is necessarily going to be more effective. I think the thing we need to remember here is that if you are just changing your filter and that's it, try and get something similar in design/volume to the the OEM box (so something like the ARC style one or this Last Station thing. If you start mucking around with the length of the intake like Petrovski and to a certain extent something like the A'pexi intake (like what I have), you really need to be looking at something like the V-AFC2 to make the most of things. This should rectify the problems of hesitation and fix up the changes so the engine can respond to the increased air flow. Of course it depends on the quality of the tuner.

TypeG
11-10-2004, 10:58 PM
but the more the cold air can go in, the better the car run
also it can keep more cold air like if the car stop or running slow, hot air generate and start go into the pipe but if the pipe are full of cold air, heat air will just mix will the hot air and will not take over by hot air.
that's what i think coz i always see special designed pod are all THICK
lol

rokkuchan
14-11-2004, 01:03 AM
http://autoshow.permaisuri.com/Content/viewimage.asp?AutoID=20040831215244&Filename=50784.jpg

http://autoshow.permaisuri.com/Content/viewimage.asp?AutoID=20040508175258&Filename=40580.jpg

Hey, I really want a intake pipe like the ones above. Where can I GET ONE?? Or where do I even go to get a pipe customed inAdelaide??? Petrovski??

Jus-10
14-11-2004, 05:25 PM
Ask an exhaust shop to do it for you.

petrovski
14-11-2004, 05:44 PM
you have to get your pod first before you take it to an exhuast shop.

i got an apexi universal 65mm black pod from www.autospeed.com.au (http://www.autospeed.com.au)

then i went to menai mufflers and they got in 2 90 degree 2 1/2 or 2 1/4 bends.

they made up the plate to attach to the pipe. A template comes with the apexi pod and it all got welded together after a bit of cutting and fitting the pipes together.

they cut out a hole for the air sensor and welded in a little pipe for the vaccuum tube.

you have to get a 2 1/2 inch joiner, clamps and a vaccum hose to finish it all off.

rokkuchan
14-11-2004, 10:40 PM
HEY, thanks heaps petrovski... had no idea that exhaust shops did them...

and one more thing petrovski or anyone, what are the 2 1/2 inch joiner, clamps and vaccum hose you mentioned? Do they put those things in for you as well?? Sorry, I have no idea how or what is needed to do the air intake stuff.

and another thing is, is it reversible to the stock filter? I probably know how to take things apart after but do they use something from the old filter/ box that u can't take out from the modded one? Say the sensor??
It's just incase of insurance... I had a minor crash before and when I claimed, they did a full engine/ body inspection of modifications since I'm a teenager and all...lucky i didn't have no mods then...

Thanks.

petrovski
15-11-2004, 10:41 AM
go to www.auotspeed.com.au (http://www.autospeed.com/shop/category_1675/browse.html)

thats what you need. about 3 or 4inches of that

its to make the conection from the throttle body to the pipe and the clamps are there to hold it in place.

the vaccuum hose is needed to reach the little vaccuum pipe that comes off the intake pipe. Its a small thing about 5/16' or 3/8'

you use the senosr and grommet thats in the stock airbox for the custom pipe. Just pull it out and put it in!

YES! its completlley reversible. Its a bolt in job. Just need some pliers, screwdrivers and a ratchet and sockets set and you can change them back over again.

muli
16-11-2004, 05:58 PM
i got a trust replacement air filter, havent done a custom intake piping yet but i can notice a slight more eager feel in acceleration when merging onto highway traffic :) but i got over it as soon as i got in mates DC5R the same day later on

rokkuchan
16-11-2004, 08:50 PM
How about this? Can I get this here? And how much?

Got this from HongKong. Comes with simolta high flow filter. Direct bolt on. Best thing about this is filter size same as stock. :D
http://img5.exs.cx/img5/9131/airbox.jpg

TypeG
16-11-2004, 09:32 PM
it cost around $1800 HKD

Apple
18-11-2004, 10:09 AM
Modifying the stock box is the easiest option you just take the bottom half of the pipe underneath off and then $30 for an autotechnica pipe from autoone.
Run the pipe from the foglight to the bottm of the middle box of the stock airbox and you're done! Very simple and it doesnt take long.

As for the custom job . . . .
mine will prob be in the same ball park as Jus-10's.
Only difference is where he has Apexi - $250, mine will be almost exaclty the same price except we'll have different pipes.

It sounds like a good idea. I went to the autoone website, and can see that they have silcon air intake pipes for $25, I'm wondering if this is the one. Also, to run this pipe, behind the fog lights, do you have to take the front bumper off? Or will you be able to fit it through. Honda Accord 95.

thanks
Alan