PDA

View Full Version : [CL9] Performance issues with different petrols

unity
05-10-2008, 10:15 PM
Hi, many people have posted that they found noticeable improvements by using RON 98 petrol. Just wondering if any one ever found RON 95 or even E10 petrol to perform better than RON 98 petrol?

Darkii_
05-10-2008, 10:25 PM
I use Shell V-Power and it feels better than the others, but then you have to realise, it's probably all in my head. LOL

unity
05-10-2008, 10:30 PM
Is Shell V Power 95 or 98?

MangChi
05-10-2008, 10:32 PM
v-power is 95 if im not mistaken. I think v-power racing was 100 but mixed with ethanol??

traumatized
05-10-2008, 10:39 PM
v power is 98ron

MangChi
05-10-2008, 10:40 PM
okay correction taken thanks for that.

unity
05-10-2008, 10:47 PM
I am trying 95 for the first time. Have only used 98 so far. So hence my thread to see whether any one actually found 95 to run better than 98.

Suntzu
05-10-2008, 11:24 PM
After my Jtune for 98 ron yes a bit improvement. good on fuel too.

huhjared
05-10-2008, 11:24 PM
i previously had a mazda 6 before swapping to a euro... the mazda 6 didnt like 95 and would ping... euro wise have tried bp ultimate, vpower and caltex vortex98... personally i think bp ultimate is good... but because of the 4 cents off i would choose between caltex or shell and between them i choose caltex... car runs smoother and apparently from a mate that works as a chemical eng. he said shell has this thing in petrol that coats in petrol tanks and would cause a major fuel economy down turn when u switch to a non shell petrol. but the effect of poor economy would only last about 3 to 4 tanks before clearing all the stuff out. so if u are thinking of switching from shell v power to something else, you would suffer poor economy for the first few tanks of non shell petrol. not sure if caltex has that funny thing in petrol but i definitely know that BP and mobil doesnt..

unity
05-10-2008, 11:25 PM
how many L/100kM?

unity
05-10-2008, 11:33 PM
All these petrols seem to have a tonne of additives but how good are they really for the car? How good would petrol be with no additives?
I wonder if it's the same as the food situation. Nearly all processed foods have additives to improve taste, colour, shelf life, etc, etc, however, over time they are finding that some of these are actually not good for your body. I would not be surprised if there were additives in petrol that may actually be harmful. Because what we don't know doesn't seem to hurt us.

huhjared
05-10-2008, 11:40 PM
true true... but for me i am still wondering if the previous owner of the euro even bother to pump premium... i have seen SO MANY euro or mazda 6 owners pumping shell e10 and unleaded in their car... i am pretty sure when you buy the car the previous owner or dealer would tell u that the car needs premium... just dont understand those owners...

unity
05-10-2008, 11:53 PM
I wouldn't see a problem using E10 if it wasn't going to affect the performance of the car. But have read so many negative comments about the E10 fuel that I'm not game to try it.
Is it possible that people using unleaded (RON 91) just don't know it's the wrong petrol. I could understand someone knowing nothing at all about cars just thinking well its petrol and a car needs petrol to run. After all I work in a field where every day people are throwing all sorts of chemcals into their bodies expecting a particular outcome, but taking the wrong chemical may have an adverse outcome.

Suntzu
06-10-2008, 12:09 AM
NEWS FLASH: 5 cents cheaper for E10 but 6 cents more consumption with 5% less power isnt a good deal!

unity
06-10-2008, 12:27 AM
I would be one of very few people on here that actually would say that power is not the major issue when it comes to choosing a petrol. But I would not use a product that could potentially damage my car. Nor is price a factor.

huhjared
06-10-2008, 10:07 AM
erm... E10 and ron rating is 2 totally different thing
E10 states the type of petrol not ron rating
the E10 you get in shell is not ron 95 thats why its not the correct petrol... if you pump E10 from UNITED YES it would be a ron 95 fueland you would be right... E10 is just the short form of 10% ethanol there is E10 which are ron 91 (shell) and e10 that are ron 95 (united) and e10 that are ron 98 (united) so if see on the side of your pump cap that your car is E10 safe you are correct to say that your car can take E10 but to say that your car can take E10 shell u are wrong...

unity
06-10-2008, 12:13 PM
Hi thanks for clarifying that for me. I would just avoid ethanol full stop.

MSKYO
06-10-2008, 01:43 PM
I've tried a lot of different fuels in my car ('05 Lux Auto) and have actually seen my economy improve after switching to Shell 95.

The type of driving I do is more or less the same week in week out - driving approx 25-30kms one way to work just before the peak hour rush into Melbourne's CBD (I leave home at around 7.00-7.15am. Traffic moves ok at that time but is still very much stop-start.

On BP Ultimate 98 I averaged about 11.8L/100kms from two tanks, on Caltex Vortex 95 I got 11.4 from four tanks and since moving to Shell 95 for the past 5 tanks I have averaged 10.3. I did take the car for an 80km freeway run and noticed that the economy didn't significantly improve over previous weeks though (got 10.1 for the tank).

The best I have got over a single tank was 9.9 on Shell 95 without any freeway driving. I have just switched to Shell V-Power 98 this past week so I am interested to see if I get any improvement. So far there does seem to be a marginal improvement in relation to the rate at which the petrol needle has been moving.

Have heard a lot of interesting/negative stuff about Shell petrol but economy wise I have always found it to be pretty good. I always used to put 95 or Optimax/V-Power in my old Maxima too

khoakhoa
06-10-2008, 02:31 PM
I drive a '06 luxury, I think Mobil 98 feels the best acceleration wise. But I use Vortex 98 now because i get 4c/L off :P Vortex I feel is much smoother. And have you noticed how the car feels so much better on a full tank than say 1/3 full. my 2 cents

unity
06-10-2008, 02:51 PM
Great points guys. My driving is mainly to and from work in fairly free flowing traffic. I am beginning to see no point to using 98 fuels if I am not doing any spirited driving. I have myself found that the Vortex fuels have been the smoothest for my car.
I too feel the car runs better with a fuller tank. May have something to do with there being a greater concentration of rubbish/impurities settling as the volume of petrol in the tank diminishes. Or does this indicate some other type of problem like a fuel pump?

TONTON
06-10-2008, 03:01 PM
vortex 98 works well with my euro... its really smooth..

i find mobil works well too

MSKYO
06-10-2008, 05:34 PM
After I give V-Power a run for another few weeks I think I will switch over to either Vortex 98 or Mobil Synergy 8000 (or whatever they call their 98).

I forgot to add earlier for what it's worth there is a definite acceleration improvement from Shell 95 to 98 but as unity mentioned I don't really get a chance to do much spirited driving either or longer runs for that matter, so I'm not sure if it is worth going with higher octane fuel. If there is a reasonable improvement in economy with 98 I would of course reconsider for the long term!

Crapdaz
06-10-2008, 07:41 PM
I've tried a lot of different fuels in my car ('05 Lux Auto) and have actually seen my economy improve after switching to Shell 95.

The type of driving I do is more or less the same week in week out - driving approx 25-30kms one way to work just before the peak hour rush into Melbourne's CBD (I leave home at around 7.00-7.15am. Traffic moves ok at that time but is still very much stop-start.

On BP Ultimate 98 I averaged about 11.8L/100kms from two tanks, on Caltex Vortex 95 I got 11.4 from four tanks and since moving to Shell 95 for the past 5 tanks I have averaged 10.3. I did take the car for an 80km freeway run and noticed that the economy didn't significantly improve over previous weeks though (got 10.1 for the tank).

The best I have got over a single tank was 9.9 on Shell 95 without any freeway driving. I have just switched to Shell V-Power 98 this past week so I am interested to see if I get any improvement. So far there does seem to be a marginal improvement in relation to the rate at which the petrol needle has been moving.

Have heard a lot of interesting/negative stuff about Shell petrol but economy wise I have always found it to be pretty good. I always used to put 95 or Optimax/V-Power in my old Maxima too

I have a 03' Euro MT.

nice thats how much fuel consumption i get approx with my mods running either bp or mobil.

leaving house around 6am and leaving work at 4pm, with a 25-40min drive.

found BP had better response overall and performance, Mobil 2nd but with better mileage consumption, then came caltex vortex 98 followed by Shell which in my exp was the crappest of all low milege, laggy response.

SPQR
07-10-2008, 10:02 PM
true true... but for me i am still wondering if the previous owner of the euro even bother to pump premium... i have seen SO MANY euro or mazda 6 owners pumping shell e10 and unleaded in their car... i am pretty sure when you buy the car the previous owner or dealer would tell u that the car needs premium... just dont understand those owners...

Such people are called "motorists": They don't deserve the honourable title of "drivers". Motorists are just there for the ride from A to B and have probably never seen the engine of their motorcars.

Crapdaz
07-10-2008, 10:21 PM
with BP ultimate

canberra and back > baulkham hills to hurstville > 1trip from hurstville to city and back
Total trip 690.7km/51.45litres topped up initally full tank.

Average about 7.45l/100km.

power_of_dreams
07-10-2008, 10:41 PM
ffs, why doesnt BP have 4c voucher :D

Crapdaz
07-10-2008, 10:52 PM
they have equivalent 5% discount, if you have a citibank CC (credit card)

power_of_dreams
07-10-2008, 11:36 PM
Not worth it for me.

unity
08-10-2008, 02:43 AM

My local BP is affiliated with both Ritchies and IGA. They both offer the 4 cent discount voucher and you only need to spend $25 to qualify. But the voucher is specific for a particular BP petrol station (ie the one closest to the IGA or Ritchies)

ShAwNeX
08-10-2008, 07:57 AM
Has anyone found that running BP or Mobil's high end petrol feels better than Shell's? Or is it just in my head? LOL...

Crapdaz
08-10-2008, 08:10 AM
You're just whacked.

Has anyone found that running BP or Mobil's high end petrol feels better than Shell's? Or is it just in my head? LOL...

nah IMO you are right.

BP better performance, Mobil has more mileage

ShAwNeX
08-10-2008, 08:13 AM
Well that's good. Cause I thought I might going mental. LOL...:p

Psy
08-10-2008, 12:35 PM
With all these fuels, one has to wonder at why they haven't decreased the prices yet.

I mean the current prices of fuel are for when oil was at $120 a barrel, now oil is only $85 a barrel and the prices are still the same.

Oh and to stay on topic, i use BP Ultimate. I used Vortex 98 and 95 and they seem good at the initial stage but over time i felt like it was sluggish. The BP was more constant, but got sluggish as soon as the red light came on. V-Power i haven't used in a while but remember not liking it. Mobil is very good too.

Bp and Mobil get my vote.

Crapdaz
08-10-2008, 12:48 PM
With all these fuels, one has to wonder at why they haven't decreased the prices yet.

I mean the current prices of fuel are for when oil was at $120 a barrel, now oil is only $85 a barrel and the prices are still the same.

Oh and to stay on topic, i use BP Ultimate. I used Vortex 98 and 95 and they seem good at the initial stage but over time i felt like it was sluggish. The BP was more constant, but got sluggish as soon as the red light came on. V-Power i haven't used in a while but remember not liking it. Mobil is very good too.

Bp and Mobil get my vote.
winnah!!!

i agree when light is on BP is slow.

MiSloVic
08-10-2008, 01:00 PM
[quote=Psy;1928338]With all these fuels, one has to wonder at why they haven't decreased the prices yet.

[quote]

OZ$ dropped a massive 30% against the US$. the drop in oil prices is sort-of negated against the drop in AU$

johnnyofhk
08-10-2008, 04:27 PM
[quote=Psy;1928338]With all these fuels, one has to wonder at why they haven't decreased the prices yet.

[quote]

OZ$ dropped a massive 30% against the US$. the drop in oil prices is sort-of negated against the drop in AU$

i think they would even increase the petrol price for the AUD drop...

mars_panas
08-10-2008, 04:33 PM
i pump my car with BP Ulti which is 98... just got use to using it so i never change

i don't feel much different at all with 95 and 98... but 98 gives me more mileage

by-life
07-01-2009, 01:46 PM
I've used v-Power quite long, thinking to change to vortex 98 after reading all of reply.

Crapdaz
07-01-2009, 03:18 PM
go for it, it'll be a step up from vpower.

Then once you go from vortex to bp ultimate or mobil synergy 8000 thats another step up.

Min988
07-01-2009, 04:49 PM
I'd love to see a test of the same car used on power and distance runs on a dyno with the exact same throttle position used over the 550kms in exactly the same ambient temperatures, tyre pressures, road surfaces,age of batch,exposure to air and windage before I believe a noticeable difference between the different 98RON fuels.
I'll bet if I filled a car (euro) with any of the fuels without telling you which one I filled it with, no-one would be able to distinguish the difference.
Too many variables.

Try this, have your brother and sister participate in this study, have them fill your car each week without telling you which one they filled it with and see how many times you can accurately guess the correct type of fuel.

At the end of the day driving and extra 10kms each week to find a specific type of fuel because you like it isn't economical, over a year that's 520kms extra.

I use V-power because it’s cheap at the moment with the Ferrari model cars, though I like BP ultimate because the service centres tend to look a little more modern and new age cutting edge and tend to have more brochures about BP ultimate. Marketing is marketing. Butt dynos are butt dynos. Fuel (98RON) generally is fuel (98RON).

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3516/3175579393_e00d3a88a3_m.jpg

power_of_dreams
07-01-2009, 05:11 PM
go for it, it'll be a step up from vpower.

Then once you go from vortex to bp ultimate or mobil synergy 8000 thats another step up.

imo, vpower and vortex are on par regarding performance/economy

Crapdaz
07-01-2009, 05:54 PM
I'd love to see a test of the same car used on power and distance runs on a dyno with the exact same throttle position used over the 550kms in exactly the same ambient temperatures, tyre pressures, road surfaces,age of batch,exposure to air and windage before I believe a noticeable difference between the different 98RON fuels.
I'll bet if I filled a car (euro) with any of the fuels without telling you which one I filled it with, no-one would be able to distinguish the difference.
Too many variables.

Try this, have your brother and sister participate in this study, have them fill your car each week without telling you which one they filled it with and see how many times you can accurately guess the correct type of fuel.

At the end of the day driving and extra 10kms each week to find a specific type of fuel because you like it isn't economical, over a year that's 520kms extra.

I use V-power because it’s cheap at the moment with the Ferrari model cars, though I like BP ultimate because the service centres tend to look a little more modern and new age cutting edge and tend to have more brochures about BP ultimate. Marketing is marketing. Butt dynos are butt dynos. Fuel (98RON) generally is fuel (98RON).

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3516/3175579393_e00d3a88a3_m.jpg

Rofl that would be good but imo you'd know because shell/vortex feels more sluggish.....

Also it's hard because your tank will never be fully empty....

imo, vpower and vortex are on par regarding performance/economy
i find shell having less mileage than vortex about 50km difference.
Been couple of years since i used shell....

revivor
07-01-2009, 07:30 PM
i've been able to go about 700km on each tank (till the low fuel light lits)...about 7.5-8.5l/100k evrytime I pump Vpower. More kms than the lower grade fuels..
thats my opinion...

Min988
07-01-2009, 07:36 PM
i've been able to go about 700km on each tank (till the low fuel light lits)...about 7.5-8.5l/100k evrytime I pump Vpower. More kms than the lower grade fuels..
thats my opinion...

That's with mostly highway travel right?

Crapdaz
07-01-2009, 07:47 PM
thats my opinion...

yeh i think it's mainly highway

as when i went to port macquarie trip i did almost 100% highway almost 1 tank for the whole to/from trip plus extra trips within port mac and did 6.5L/100km when the car was around 30xxxkm

SPQR
07-01-2009, 11:21 PM

The price of fuel in OZ is based on the price in Singapore using Singapore dollars (AU$1 = SG$1.05)

WA Government Fuelwatch website: http://www.fuelwatch.wa.gov.au/info/dsp_petrol_prices.cfm

revivor
08-01-2009, 01:07 PM

well, yeah...i only drive to Brisbane on weekends.