PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Bearing problems.. I think !

pilotb777_300
06-10-2008, 07:43 AM
Hey guys,

I've been having a problem with my clutch in my 2003 CL9 euro. When I came to take off in first gear up a hill I get this funny whooopp noise coming outta the clutch. I've had the car for close to 4 years now and it always did it, just a lot more now. back when I got the car it used to be maybe once or twice a year I'd hear it, where as now its more like opn a daily basis ! I've leanred that when u take off with slightly higher RPM and slip the clutch a bit, it tend not to do it, but that cant be all that good for it. I did a search and found a few threads indicating it may be the spigot bearing ??? now I'm not a rev head so I dont really know what that is or if its true or not. I've taken it to honda and with my luck the car performed flawlessly and for the life of me I couldnt replicate the noise. so I guess these r the questions I have which I havent been able to find answers for on previous threads

1- Can anyone shed light on what really is causing the problem ?
2- Is it the start of clutch failure or just noise that can be left alone?
3- How much approx would it cost to fix?
4- IS it worth changing the whole clutch at the same time if it needs to be fixed ?
5- Should I do it at a honda dealer or find a local mechanic to do it to try and save on labour costs ?

The car has 75K on it and is very well looked after. no clutch dumps or tracked etc... hardely ever redline.

Any help would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks

simonnowis
06-10-2008, 09:09 AM
when i had a bearing problem it made a squeek noise everytime i stepped on the clutch.
so the only problem your having is just some noise and no actual changes in the performance of the clutch?

pilotb777_300
06-10-2008, 09:33 AM
when i had a bearing problem it made a squeek noise everytime i stepped on the clutch.
so the only problem your having is just some noise and no actual changes in the performance of the clutch?

Thats correct. Clutch seems to be working normally. Its just like a loud noise when I come to let go of the clutch the take off on a hill in first. When I press the clutch in theres no noise. When I'm holding the clutch in theres no noise. When I'm coming to raise my foot off the clutch... that initial clutch slip b4 the car takes off seems to be causing that particular noise. Its quite loud too. So much so that ppl sometimes turn around and look. Its a weird one cause clutch seems to be working normally.

beje
06-10-2008, 10:33 PM
iv been having the exact same problem. it has always been there as you have explained but only in the last 2 months has occurred on a more frequent basis.
I have no idea what it is, i assumed that it is the clutch. It would be greatly appreciated if any one could provide some more info, and/or how much it cost to repair

aaronng
06-10-2008, 10:43 PM
It's the clutch release bearing. Cheap part, expensive labour. I changed mine when I changed my clutch. It will last the life of the clutch if you don't hold the clutch pedal down at the lights or rev your engine with the clutch pressed down (like what ppl do before they drag). :)

BeLowZeRo
07-10-2008, 02:13 AM
Heyy... finally i found people with the same problem as mine. I had exactly the same problem and its been going for almost a year now. Sometimes its so annoying and there's a point where I couldn't take it anymore (point where i started to hate the car because of the stupid noise) and i want to fix it but don't know how. The first time i asked the John Blair service they said "since i can't replicate the sound, they can not diagnose what the problem was" so i tried to find a way to replicate the noise for my next visit to John Blair.

The second time there.. i said now i can replicate the noise. It usually happen when u about to take off around 1,200rpm and maintain that rev and slowly release the clutch, eventually that whoop (sort of grinding noise) will be audible (so loud that people would turn their heads and laugh at ur car) BUT this time John Blair service said i don't have to replicate the noise cause they already know whats wrong. They said the same thing happen with some integra, and apparently there's a hot spot on the flywheel. THAT'S THE BEST EXPLANATION THEY CAN GIVE ME!!! i said i want to claim a warranty and they said its not cover by warranty...

I'm not really 100% sure with honda since they didn't hear the noise, some mechanic who heard the noise said maybe some of the spring housing on the clutch is broken, as it already happen with a lot of hondas, and again that spring housing should be covered under warranty.

So aaronng.. can u give us some more info about the fix? and where we can get the parts? are they OEM or aftermarket? I can't trust the OEM if its going to happen again after 40,000 Km

aaronng
07-10-2008, 03:45 AM
Is it a loud screech when taking off using more rpm and uphill? Do you keep pressing the clutch down when at the traffic lights?

EuroDude
07-10-2008, 08:20 AM
Its the clutch release bearing as aaron said.

Early in the morning, take it to your honda dealer and replicate the sound with a technician on a hill start.

pilotb777_300
07-10-2008, 09:23 AM
Its the clutch release bearing as aaron said.

Early in the morning, take it to your honda dealer and replicate the sound with a technician on a hill start.

ok From the research I have done this is the most common answer I have found to the problem. so next question is, can you just keep driving it the way it is if its only noise ? or do I have to go get it fixed ? just about every friends euro I have been in has had this noise at some stage when taking off up a hill. So I think its a very common problem. can anyone give me a cost estimate to fix ? I'm guessing $1000 bucks plus for labour and like 100 bucks for the part as is always the case. ??

aaronng
07-10-2008, 10:28 AM
ok From the research I have done this is the most common answer I have found to the problem. so next question is, can you just keep driving it the way it is if its only noise ? or do I have to go get it fixed ? just about every friends euro I have been in has had this noise at some stage when taking off up a hill. So I think its a very common problem. can anyone give me a cost estimate to fix ? I'm guessing $1000 bucks plus for labour and like 100 bucks for the part as is always the case. ??

It will work fine until the day the bearing siezes, then all hell breaks loose.
It will involve taking the subframe off so that you can get the gearbox out. Therefore, change your clutch at the same time. Call up workshops for quotes. Try Hannys if you are in Sydney.

pilotb777_300
07-10-2008, 11:04 AM
It will work fine until the day the bearing siezes, then all hell breaks loose.
It will involve taking the subframe off so that you can get the gearbox out. Therefore, change your clutch at the same time. Call up workshops for quotes. Try Hannys if you are in Sydney.

ahhh crap.... :( I'll call up some shops. But the problem is its very hard to replicate the noise on the spot. So no one really belives u ! or knows what ur talking about. Honda quotes me 1K for clutch replacement including labour. Which I gues aint too bad for honda. but I'll call around a few more places.

Thanks for the help guys. I better get right on this b4 my clutch and/or gear box self destructs !

aaronng
07-10-2008, 11:18 AM
ahhh crap.... :( I'll call up some shops. But the problem is its very hard to replicate the noise on the spot. So no one really belives u ! or knows what ur talking about. Honda quotes me 1K for clutch replacement including labour. Which I gues aint too bad for honda. but I'll call around a few more places.

Thanks for the help guys. I better get right on this b4 my clutch and/or gear box self destructs !

The gearbox won't self destruct when the bearing siezes, but in the worst case, there will be friction on the input shaft since the bearing is not rotating.

pilotb777_300
07-10-2008, 12:27 PM
The gearbox won't self destruct when the bearing siezes, but in the worst case, there will be friction on the input shaft since the bearing is not rotating.

Thanks aaronng.... thing is, I've learnt now how to release the clutch to avoid it making this noise and it only happens up hills. So in ur best opinion, if this was u, would u bother getting it fixed now at 75K with the clutch most likely still having a bit of life left in it or would u wait till smething breaks and just go in there and replace the bearing and the clutch all at once at a later stage ? I know its a hard question, I've just had a mechanic tell me " if it aint broke dont bother wasting money to fixing it " and at the momement it isnt actually broken and for all I know could last another 2 or 3 years the way it is ?? arghhhh what to doooo

Crapdaz
07-10-2008, 01:11 PM
replace everything at once cause rather than forking out extra $700+ to get it redone again.

aaronng
07-10-2008, 01:18 PM
Thanks aaronng.... thing is, I've learnt now how to release the clutch to avoid it making this noise and it only happens up hills. So in ur best opinion, if this was u, would u bother getting it fixed now at 75K with the clutch most likely still having a bit of life left in it or would u wait till smething breaks and just go in there and replace the bearing and the clutch all at once at a later stage ? I know its a hard question, I've just had a mechanic tell me " if it aint broke dont bother wasting money to fixing it " and at the momement it isnt actually broken and for all I know could last another 2 or 3 years the way it is ?? arghhhh what to doooo

Problem is, no one can tell you how long the bearing will last. I have a friend with the same problem, but his car has been fine for over half a year now. I reckon, when you are ready to change the clutch, do the bearing at the same time.

tron07
08-10-2008, 08:25 AM
I think the clutch will go soon 5k-15k ~ about 1 year time.... start saving up money.

pilotb777_300
08-10-2008, 01:53 PM
I think the clutch will go soon 5k-15k ~ about 1 year time.... start saving up money.

hmmm I dunno about that... the clutch feels very solid. I've never experienced any of the classic symptoms of a slipping clutch. but anyways I cant seem to prove it to any mechanic anyway cause the cars works fine when I test drive it with them. So they can't do anything about it if they dont hear the noise. I guess I just leave it for now untill it gets worse or the bearing just fails.

tron07
08-10-2008, 02:28 PM
hmmm I dunno about that... the clutch feels very solid. I've never experienced any of the classic symptoms of a slipping clutch. but anyways I cant seem to prove it to any mechanic anyway cause the cars works fine when I test drive it with them. So they can't do anything about it if they dont hear the noise. I guess I just leave it for now untill it gets worse or the bearing just fails.

My experience with my previous car is, once the clutch slips, it just goes pretty fast... I have to change the clutch 2 weeks after the first slip and its really hard to drive the car. Difficult to change gear and the car revs but doesnt move much. Had the car from brand new, replaced the clutch at around 80k km

Accord Basic
11-10-2008, 03:28 AM
I have the same problem. just would like to ask, any chance to get a heavy duty clutch release bearing instead of just replace the stock one?

I did track day too. May be heavy duty bearing is more suitable for me.

any commends?

Thanks

aaronng
11-10-2008, 08:31 AM
I have the same problem. just would like to ask, any chance to get a heavy duty clutch release bearing instead of just replace the stock one?

I did track day too. May be heavy duty bearing is more suitable for me.

any commends?

Thanks

No matter what bearing you use, if you sit at the traffic lights and hold the clutch in all the time, or rev the engine while pressing the clutch down, you will wear the bearing out prematurely.

BeLowZeRo
14-10-2008, 07:18 PM
I'm a bit curious.. what is actually happen when the clutch release bearing failed? And that noise... what is actually happen that makes the noise? If we don't fix the clutch release bearing? what will happen? I've been driving with the failed bearing for more than 30K. Is that good? or should I replace the clutch ASAP??

aaronng
14-10-2008, 07:41 PM
I'm a bit curious.. what is actually happen when the clutch release bearing failed? And that noise... what is actually happen that makes the noise? If we don't fix the clutch release bearing? what will happen? I've been driving with the failed bearing for more than 30K. Is that good? or should I replace the clutch ASAP??

If your car can still drive, then the bearing is wearing out, but has not failed yet. If it fails, the bearing siezes and damages the input shaft.

Accord Basic
15-10-2008, 10:28 AM

On Engineering design of the Bearings, it is required to design for long life with estimate max. load. but because of the materials grade, heat, vibration, etc. to shorten the bearing life and normal bearings calculated life is around 10 - 12 yrs life (design workload) sometime we push the car to limits so the life will be shorter. the noise should be from the rollers inside the bearings and hitting the bearing housing. the gap between them getting bigger when the rollers worn out. Am I correct? let me know if not. i think change the bearing when clutch is died.

lf1234
22-10-2008, 12:55 PM
Hey, the whoooop sound, i think it's the TX expansion thing.. i have this problem too, i think it's the air cond, every time i get this whooop sound the air cond is on.

there's another thread in this forum said it, it's the prob with the TX expansion...

i havent got a time to go to the dealer to fix it..

aaronng
22-10-2008, 01:21 PM
On Engineering design of the Bearings, it is required to design for long life with estimate max. load. but because of the materials grade, heat, vibration, etc. to shorten the bearing life and normal bearings calculated life is around 10 - 12 yrs life (design workload) sometime we push the car to limits so the life will be shorter. the noise should be from the rollers inside the bearings and hitting the bearing housing. the gap between them getting bigger when the rollers worn out. Am I correct? let me know if not. i think change the bearing when clutch is died.
A clutch release bearing takes load on the side when you press the clutch pedal in. The bearing will last a very long time if you don't keep holding the clutch down at the traffic lights, nor rev your engine when you are holding the clutch down.

lf1234
22-10-2008, 01:36 PM
by, here is the link:

http://ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89325&highlight=expansion

cheers, if anyone know more about the whoooop sound, pls let me know..

euromandeluxe
07-04-2009, 06:51 PM
A clutch release bearing takes load on the side when you press the clutch pedal in. The bearing will last a very long time if you don't keep holding the clutch down at the traffic lights, nor rev your engine when you are holding the clutch down.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I've noticed this same whining clutch engaging noise in my car when taking off in 1st uphill. It's happened 4-5 times in total, but always under the same uphill conditions. Not the greatest thing to notice on the car. :( Especially because she's barely ticked over 41,000km!

I wanted to ask, how exactly does the work out clutch release bearing cause the rumbling noise during gradual, clutch engagement, and why would it be intermittent?

I'm booking the 40,000km service next week - to anyone who's had this problem, have you found a way to reliably replicate it yet?

Edit: The sound is VERY similar to the sound heard in this Youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah80_hjjoxI
The only difference is that in my car, it's NOWHERE near as frequent as in his car.

tknova
07-04-2009, 09:09 PM
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I've noticed this same whining clutch engaging noise in my car when taking off in 1st uphill. It's happened 4-5 times in total, but always under the same uphill conditions. Not the greatest thing to notice on the car. :( Especially because she's barely ticked over 41,000km!

I wanted to ask, how exactly does the work out clutch release bearing cause the rumbling noise during gradual, clutch engagement, and why would it be intermittent?

I'm booking the 40,000km service next week - to anyone who's had this problem, have you found a way to reliably replicate it yet?

Edit: The sound is VERY similar to the sound heard in this Youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah80_hjjoxI
The only difference is that in my car, it's NOWHERE near as frequent as in his car.

I have the same problem with my 06 euro @ 49,000 km

Feel it's gotta be the thrust bearing making the noise, can't stand it! I also have noticed it gets worse in the cold weather. I will hear the noise about 3-4 times a day.

I have also got the creaking clutch pedal as well. I've read it's the slave cylinder's rubbers, correct me if i'm wrong.

I will be taking her in for a service at honda next week! Should all be covered under warranty

Let me know how you go, as will i. :)

Good luck

euromandeluxe
07-04-2009, 09:44 PM
I have the same problem with my 06 euro @ 49,000 km

Feel it's gotta be the thrust bearing making the noise, can't stand it! I also have noticed it gets worse in the cold weather. I will hear the noise about 3-4 times a day.

I have also got the creaking clutch pedal as well. I've read it's the slave cylinder's rubbers, correct me if i'm wrong.

I will be taking her in for a service at honda next week! Should all be covered under warranty

Let me know how you go, as will i. :)

Good luck

I've got the creaking clutch too! I realised it's possible to reproduce the noise when taking off uphill, with load and a bit of clutch slipping. Takes a few tries and will probably wear out the clutch itself, but at least I know I'm not hearing things lol.

It's worse in cold weather for me too - is also getting more frequent. I can't figure out why the thing would have failed after only 41,000km (or 48,000km in your case). My clutch still has quite a bit of life in it. Faulty bearing? Or can this due to bad driving style? I'm pretty careful with the car...

I'm in the same scenario as you, but I'm out of warranty! 2005 model FTL.

aaronng
07-04-2009, 09:56 PM
The bearing keeps the clutch plate and inputshaft spinning while applying an axial force (along the input shaft) to keep the clutch plate from touching the flywheel. If the bearing is worn, then you get noises due to the unsmooth movement. When taking off, you are having the bearing having that axial load and then gradually applying the spinning motion as the clutch comes into contact with the flywheel. The combination of load and spinning motion causes the noise. One you fully take your foot off the clutch pedal, the bearing is not subjected to the axial force, and the spinning itself doesn't cause the noise.

Do you keep the clutch pedal pressed down at the traffic lights or anytime you are stopped? Do you rev the engine while you hold the clutch pedal down?

euromandeluxe
07-04-2009, 10:00 PM
The bearing keeps the clutch plate and inputshaft spinning while applying an axial force (along the input shaft) to keep the clutch plate from touching the flywheel. If the bearing is worn, then you get noises due to the unsmooth movement. When taking off, you are having the bearing having that axial load and then gradually applying the spinning motion as the clutch comes into contact with the flywheel. The combination of load and spinning motion causes the noise. One you fully take your foot off the clutch pedal, the bearing is not subjected to the axial force, and the spinning itself doesn't cause the noise.

Do you keep the clutch pedal pressed down at the traffic lights or anytime you are stopped? Do you rev the engine while you hold the clutch pedal down?

Thanks for the info :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Nope - My leg would get too tired! I also knew that it wouldn't be too good for the clutch (probably after reading all your posts on how it's so bad!)

Are there any other possible explanations? I'm guessing previous owner is a possibility, but I doubt that's the cause as he took great care of the car.

hooyn
08-04-2009, 10:56 AM
my sound sounds like shit.

taking off in first you can hear something grinding

then at 2000 - 2500 theres a rattle coming from the gearbox.

gonna get it checked out this week

hooyn
08-04-2009, 10:57 AM
i think it is my bearings wearing out.
just did an assignment about gearboxes at uni and what aaronng is saying makes sense to me.

ill probably change the bearing and clutch at the same time.

tknova
08-04-2009, 07:07 PM
I know all about the holding the clutch in at the set of lights and also about revving while the clutch is in. How bad that is for the thrust bearing.

The only time i would ever rev with the clutch in is when i rev match or heal/toe on downshift ect.

The SAME problem happend on my 05 accord, never got it fixed and sold it. So never got an outcome from honda on the 05 euro i had.

But, i have heard that honda attempts to blame the driver for the issue. The last thing i want to do is bring it to honda, rip out the clutch and gearbox an they don't fix it under warranty and i have to pay there over inflated prices.

euromandeluxe
08-04-2009, 07:38 PM
It's really annoying. I'd really like a diagnosis before I decide on a course of action. Does anyone have any idea from the noise in the youtube video I posted? The noise comes on 5 or so seconds in.

If I do need to change the bearing and the clutch assembly needs to be opened up, it makes more sense to do other work to save on labour. I'd like to install a lighter fly (from the JDM type R k20a). However, my OEM clutch has a lot of life left in it, so if possible I'd like to save a bit of money by keeping it in. Is this possible, or does a flywheel and release bearing change have to occur with a clutch change?

aaronng
08-04-2009, 07:47 PM
It's really annoying. I'd really like a diagnosis before I decide on a course of action. Does anyone have any idea from the noise in the youtube video I posted? The noise comes on 5 or so seconds in.

If I do need to change the bearing and the clutch assembly needs to be opened up, it makes more sense to do other work to save on labour. I'd like to install a lighter fly (from the JDM type R k20a). However, my OEM clutch has a lot of life left in it, so if possible I'd like to save a bit of money by keeping it in. Is this possible, or does a flywheel and release bearing change have to occur with a clutch change?

The clutch release bearing should give out a screeching sound. Is yours like that vid but higher pitch?

You cannot use a k20a flywheel with the stock clutch and pressure plate because the k20a flywheel is smaller. If you get the k20a flywheel, then change the clutch, pressure plate and release bearing (get a honda OEM one) at the same time.

dupac->
08-04-2009, 11:30 PM
ffs i think i have the same problem with both my euros.
and i think aaron is right.

at certain point slipping it abit on a hill with higher rpms.. make abit of a low bellow squeek.
like running a squegy on glass kinda thing..

but yeah.. hard to replicate the sound when needed

dupac->
08-04-2009, 11:33 PM
mines a different sound from that youtube clip.

euromandeluxe
08-04-2009, 11:35 PM
mines a different sound from that youtube clip.

I'll try take a video of mine sometime tomorrow - it doesn't sound the same as that youtube clip, I reckon it's higher pitched. However, I wouldn't call it squeaky. Hopefully I can upload the video sometime soon.

dupac->
08-04-2009, 11:44 PM
alright.. thanks..

hopefully nothing major

dupac->
09-04-2009, 11:49 AM
i know how to describe the noise..

IT HUMMMSS!

sasha euro's thread.

lol

but thats all i got

hooyn
09-04-2009, 10:29 PM
i know how to describe the noise..

IT HUMMMSS!

sasha euro's thread.

lol

but thats all i got

i got that aswell.

euromandeluxe
10-04-2009, 09:20 PM
Finally got a video of the sound from my car:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdnRUCLWqhc

Also, I don't get any noticeable noise changes when i press and release the clutch slowly while the car is stationary in neutral.

What do you think? The video is from inside the car when taking off up a driveway (up an incline).

aaronng
10-04-2009, 10:50 PM
So when the car is stationary and in neutral, do you get the sound when pressing and releasing the clutch?

euromandeluxe
10-04-2009, 10:53 PM
So when the car is stationary and in neutral, do you get the sound when pressing and releasing the clutch?

Nope, no noise at all. Everything sounds normal when stationary and in neutral.

aaronng
10-04-2009, 11:27 PM
Nope, no noise at all. Everything sounds normal when stationary and in neutral.

Then it is most probably the clutch release bearing.

euromandeluxe
10-04-2009, 11:59 PM
Then it is most probably the clutch release bearing.

Thanks! Looks like clutch+flywheel change it is. Ouch says the wallet!

tknova
11-04-2009, 08:25 AM
Finally got a video of the sound from my car:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdnRUCLWqhc

Also, I don't get any noticeable noise changes when i press and release the clutch slowly while the car is stationary in neutral.

What do you think? The video is from inside the car when taking off up a driveway (up an incline).

That's exactly how my clutch sounds! But, yours does it a lot more than my euro.

Sounds like it's gotta be the throw out bearing then.

aaronng
11-04-2009, 09:47 AM
Thanks! Looks like clutch+flywheel change it is. Ouch says the wallet!
Just remember that if you go for a k20a lightweight or oem flywheel, you need a k20a clutch and pressure plate to match. If you want to keep the stock size, look at Comptech or Fidanza who do parts for k24a.

euromandeluxe
11-04-2009, 11:47 AM
Just remember that if you go for a k20a lightweight or oem flywheel, you need a k20a clutch and pressure plate to match. If you want to keep the stock size, look at Comptech or Fidanza who do parts for k24a.

Fair enough.

I notice you've got the Exedy lightweight fly (9 lbs)? Aside from the obvious changes, have you noticed anything annoying like excessive transmission noise or clicking? What clutch have you got to go with it?

Everyone in the DC2 Vti-R light flywheel thread is like "lighter damnit lighter lighter!" so maybe I should skip the JDM k20a and go for something a little lighter (while being reasonable money wise).

NSPYRE
14-04-2009, 05:18 PM
sorry if this is hijacking or going off-topic, but i just wanna kno.

aarong, u mentioned that revving while having the clutch in is bad. so i assume this also means that rev-matching while down shifting is bad also? which of the two would u recommend to trade-off?? unless u suggest to blip the throttle in neutral with foot off the clutch...

pvn
14-07-2009, 08:38 AM
Sorry fellows I just had to bring this topic up because I have the same problem. I am searching the cause of this problem for about three months and I am almost very mad. The noise is very annoying and embarrassing. I am so sick of "what the hell was that" questions when I drive non-alone in my car.

Please tell me what part exactly should I change to stop this madness? Is it the release bearing for certainty? Is there someone there who changed only the release bearing and got rid of this noise?

Please people, help me to solve this out. I am kind of desperate yet.

tknova
15-07-2009, 05:21 AM
Hey guys,

I've recently been to Honda and had a chat.

They've told me the suspect noise is most likely due to a hot spot or spots that's been created on the flywheel by the clutch.
When slipping the clutch (normal operation) the input shaft vibrates from the hot spot on the flywheel creating the noise we hear.

They have not yet found a euro with the throw out bearing problem. It always goes back to the hot spot on the flywheel. And then, Honda Australia won't cover this under warranty unless they find something that is wrong with the clutch/flywheel to create this hot spot / noise. If not. They simply put it down to driver error.

They said they will pull the clutch down, but 99.9% guarantee me that is what the problem is & Honda Aust will not cover it.

Had anybody else gone through warranty @ Honda re this issue yet?

pvn
15-07-2009, 08:53 AM
tknova, can you please explain how this "hot spots" on the flywheels are actually causing this input shaft vibration? I just can not understand it and can not find the correlation between "hot spots" and vibrating the input shaft. Moreover I can successfully reproduce the problem when the car is cold (the car has stayed for 2 days in the garage) and I use the clutch for the very first time.

My theory about the noise is that the inner diameter of the diaphragm spring rubs to the release bearing (thrust bearing) which is normal, but in some very specific conditions (engine rpms, clutch pedal position, going up hill... etc) the noise is created.

Any other theories, please?

Sorry for my bad English... I am working on it. :o

The X Man
17-07-2009, 11:35 PM
That sounds like the clutch release bearing for sure. I have never heard of this "hot spots" on the flywheel. SOunds like a crock of shit to me.

aaronng
18-07-2009, 01:27 AM
Clutch release bearing is worn from either holding the clutch down at traffic lights or revving the engine when the clutch is pressed down.

aaronng
18-07-2009, 01:29 AM
They have not yet found a euro with the throw out bearing problem. It always goes back to the hot spot on the flywheel. And then, Honda Australia won't cover this under warranty unless they find something that is wrong with the clutch/flywheel to create this hot spot / noise. If not. They simply put it down to driver error.

Any manual car will eventually have a worn clutch release bearing. It is meant to last the life of the clutch and is replaced at the same time when you replace your clutch. It should not be taken as an Euro-specific problem.

BTW, I drive my car hard and went to 6 track days. Never had this noise because I don't hold my clutch down at the lights, nor rev my engine when I hold the clutch down like how they do in F&F.

lf1234
22-07-2009, 11:03 AM
um.. aaronng..
I sometimes i rev the engine when clutch is pressed, because i want to match the rev.

like sometimes, say im on 45k on neutral, then when i want to put on 3rd gear, i need to rev the engine a bit the match the rev, so i need to do so when clutch is pressed...

is that ok...?

thanks!

aaronng
22-07-2009, 11:31 AM
um.. aaronng..
I sometimes i rev the engine when clutch is pressed, because i want to match the rev.

like sometimes, say im on 45k on neutral, then when i want to put on 3rd gear, i need to rev the engine a bit the match the rev, so i need to do so when clutch is pressed...

is that ok...?

thanks!

If it is just blipping the throttle, that's fine. The one that causes damage is holding the clutch pedal down at the traffic lights (that's a few minutes at 700rpm at every light that you stop at) and the racer who holds the clutch pedal down, revs to the 4500rpm limiter for many seconds to show off and then dump the clutch at 4500rpm to launch off the line.

lf1234
22-07-2009, 11:41 AM
got ya! great... thx 4 clearing it up!! :)

blk05gli
23-07-2009, 11:44 PM
i am the racer!

tron07
29-06-2011, 09:38 AM
I am starting to get this problems now when I drive out of the carpark ramp at 1st gear. If its not under warranty, I think I will ignore it for meantime and hopefully it will last until I change the clutch. Car's going to be 5 year old soon and still under 60k.

Question is... what should I change, stock parts or ??? options, options, options...

Fredoops
29-06-2011, 03:45 PM
Stock? Lol why why o why

Look at all the aftermarket options available.

twing
25-10-2012, 11:05 AM
bump this up. Wonder where can I get this fix in Melbourne. Somewhere in the west side will be nice too.