PDA

View Full Version : input shaft bearing?

CRXDEL501
06-10-2008, 03:49 PM
hey all..
i posted up a while ago now i was hearing a clicking noise in my gearbox, and was told it was the isb so brendan changed the isb and the trust bearing, and its still making the noise.. and is getting a bit louder..

any other ideas?

what will it lead to?

thanks

driftincivic
06-10-2008, 11:07 PM
CV's?

Slaz
07-10-2008, 01:33 PM
If another bearing in your box is noisy then its likely to fail eventually but how long as abit like how long is a peice of string.

If you've eliminated your cv's and driveshafts as not being the problem, then might pay to pull the box and run your finger over them all checking for noisy ones and replacing them before 1 may fail and if in the right spot and at the right speed, trash your gearbox.

CRXDEL501
07-10-2008, 03:48 PM
hmmm yeah im not exactly too sure if it is the cvs and driveshafts...

im stumped.

might have to get it checked out..

so its likely it could a matter of time before it sh*ts itself?

JasonGilholme
07-10-2008, 04:00 PM
input shaft bearing will make noise when the clutch is engaged and not when the clutch is disengaged. You might be able to test it at idle.

if you're getting the sound while moving it could be something else.

How loud is the noise man?

CRXDEL501
07-10-2008, 04:06 PM
its only noticeable when in like the garage at home or something..its not too loud but it has goten louder since i last posted the topic and got my isb changed.
can only hear while clutch isnt engaged..clutch goes in, noise goes away

mmm so changing the isb was a waste??

elim
19-10-2008, 11:29 PM
on the same topic, my box makes a noise in idle, stationary. When I press the clutch, the noise goes away. I have changed the thrust/clutch bearing and it's still the same. Could it be the ISB ?

roar
20-10-2008, 12:55 AM
when clutch is engaged (i.e. pedal is out), the motor is connected and spins up the gearbox. While it is allowable for some rotational noise from the gearbox, a shitty gearbox bearing (most likely the ISB in a honda) will cause a noise that is very noticable, especially parked in a garage. If the noise ramps up with rpm (ie clutch pedal out, neutral, rev engine from idle till 3000rpm) then the bearing is ****ed. Once the clutch is disconnected from the engine (clutch pedal in), the gearbox revs will drop to zero (not instantly), so if the bearing is the problem, the whirring noise will also die out.

Thrust bearing (or release bearing) noise will be the opposite. Noise when clutch pedal is pressed in. No noise when clutch is engaged

CRXDEL501
20-10-2008, 09:03 AM
on the same topic, my box makes a noise in idle, stationary. When I press the clutch, the noise goes away. I have changed the thrust/clutch bearing and it's still the same. Could it be the ISB ?

well i changed my isb, and its still doing it too. :confused:

same problem as you.

elim
20-10-2008, 09:21 AM
yeah i'm pretty pissed as it was misdiagnosed so now I have to do it all over again (dropping box).

Can someone advise if there's any other bearings apart from clutch, spigot and ISB ?

CRXDEL501
20-10-2008, 09:50 AM
yeah i'm pretty pissed as it was misdiagnosed so now I have to do it all over again (dropping box).

Can someone advise if there's any other bearings apart from clutch, spigot and ISB ?

mmm yeah..

i dont know what else there is too do.

when mine got taken off the synchros were all good so i dont know what else it could be..

i thought it would have been either the isb or thrust bearing.. but yeah hasnt solved it.

what you gona do?

elim
20-10-2008, 10:12 AM
I'll change the ISB end of this year, not anytime soon as my hands are sore from cuts/bruises hahahahah.

thepope1986
20-10-2008, 10:29 PM
ok i just delved into my TAFE text books. Clutch noisey at engine idle when engaged-Transmission input bearing (ISB), Clutch disc springs or throw out bearing (thrust bearing as some of you guys called it)

i doubt CV's as the noise emanates when the car turns on a hard lock itll be a clicking noise.

now ive gone to the gearbox section in the book
Noisey in gear- mainshaft bearings worn, gear teeth worn, Synchros worn (not likely harsh shifts would be present), then it goes on about stuff in the diff which also isnt likely as you said it in the garage which will be stationary.

How many K's has the g/b done. do you have trouble selecting any gears, do you have any problems with the general operation of the clutch or g/b.

anyway hopefully i helped somewhat

CRXDEL501
22-10-2008, 11:20 PM
mmmm

sometimes i have some issues getting into gears. but rarely hey.

the gearbox has done 155k

the diff ay.

when the gearbox was off, synchros were good :S

its def not the isb or throwout bearing, since they were changed.. id like to know what it really is, but labour at gearbox places is like 400 bucks just to get it looked at.

pain in the ass

thanks for the help... im guessing you will soon know how to fix it? :P lol

CRXDEL501
23-10-2008, 11:24 PM
anyone know what else i can do?? before it shits itself and i needa buy a new one??

CRXDEL501
24-10-2008, 06:00 PM
if its not the thrust bearing or the isb..

what else could it be? could it just be that my clutched my be gone even tho there was a little bit left when i had my box off...

i needa fix..

elim
27-11-2008, 08:33 PM
I'll change the ISB end of this year, not anytime soon as my hands are sore from cuts/bruises hahahahah.

Although I'm kind of lazy since I just got back from holidays, I decided to look into the problem now since it's noisier. turns out to be the Input shaft bearing.

http://users.tpg.com.au/civicem1//IMG_0877.JPG
http://users.tpg.com.au/civicem1//IMG_0878.JPG
http://users.tpg.com.au/civicem1//IMG_0879.JPG

pictures are large so I don't want to embed them here.

TODA AU
27-11-2008, 09:22 PM
CRXDEL501
Jack the car up & put wood under 1 wheel.
Lower the car so that 1 wheel is on the wood & the other front wheel is off the ground.
Start the car & put it in 1st gear,
Gently release the clutch & see if the wood remain.
(don't punch it incase I'm wrong & the wood will shoot out & root the car)
If it doesn't move, your LSD is shafted, rooted, stuffed etc...
Diff's click...

elim,
Input shaft bearing is a wering or whining sound that increases with rpm.
Diff bearings when shot, the noise relates to road speed...
Similar sound to having straight cut gears... But you don't...
FWIW, the #1 ball bearing on the input shaft is the most common to go in D&B series gearboxes as it's the furthest out of the oil.
Should the level drop for whatever reason., this is the 1st thing to be punnished.

Hope that helps,
Cheers

Adrian

CRXDEL501
27-11-2008, 09:27 PM
CRXDEL501
Jack the car up & put wood under 1 wheel.
Lower the car so that 1 wheel is on the wood & the other front wheel is off the ground.
Start the car & put it in 1st gear,
Gently release the clutch & see if the wood remain.
(don't punch it incase I'm wrong & the wood will shoot out & root the car)
If it doesn't move, your LSD is shafted, rooted, stuffed etc...
Diff's click...

elim,
Input shaft bearing is a wering or whining sound that increases with rpm.
Diff bearings when shot, the noise relates to road speed...
Similar sound to having straight cut gears... But you don't...
FWIW, the #1 ball bearing on the input shaft is the most common to go in D&B series gearboxes as it's the furthest out of the oil.
Should the level drop for whatever reason., this is the 1st thing to be punnished.

Hope that helps,
Cheers

Adrian

adrian...
this has sorta got me worried now.
ill have to give it a try when i can.
say if it is the lsd? what do i do?

CRXDEL501
27-11-2008, 09:35 PM
its hard to describe the noise.

elim
27-11-2008, 10:56 PM
thanks adrian.

My bearing was noisy during idle, clutch in, it was gone. It was very noisy as soon as you let go of the clutch when you down gear. Since I have the box open I might aswell inspect the other bearings.

vinnY
27-11-2008, 11:03 PM
i'm assuming if the lsd is working the wheel will just gently push the piece of wood back right?
i think i might have to try this test :(

mocchi
28-11-2008, 12:53 AM
IMG_0877.jpg
wheres the other ball bearings? arent they suppose to be all around

elim
28-11-2008, 09:05 AM
I'm guessing some of the balls have been crushed to powder.

vinnY
28-11-2008, 09:16 AM
they're sorta solid aren't they? pretty tough to crush if you ask me.. my guess is it might still be in your box
take no chances man, clean out that box good and make sure theres no balls rolling around in there hehe

elim
28-11-2008, 10:00 AM
yeah they're quite solid, some balls have dings on them. I have already removed most of the parts and they cannot be located.

CRXDEL501
28-11-2008, 10:18 AM
how many bearings in the gearbox are there that could possibly be noisy?
is it just the input shaft bearing.. is there only one of them or two?

elim
28-11-2008, 11:26 AM
There are a few large bearings but as Adrian has said above, the ISB is usually the first one to go as it sits furthest from the oil and it's an open bearing (not sealed).

There are two bearings that sits on the shaft, one is referred to the input shaft bearing, the other i'm not sure on the name but it's a sealed bearing. These two bearings are not the same.

To answer your question, there's only one input shaft bearing.

CRXDEL501
28-11-2008, 11:40 AM
got me thinking if the right bearing was changed in my old car...
which will solve this issue very quickly.
been quoted 1100 to replace every bearing in the gearbox. :S

i kno i could prob get a new one, but hey, you dont know what ur buying with second hand stuff!

getting the noise checked on monday

paps02
28-11-2008, 12:44 PM
1100.. loud speakers cost 100 bucks. then u wont hear the noise :-) hehe

CRXDEL501
28-11-2008, 01:48 PM
if you want something done dodge, listen to george lol.

dont worry me, looks like i might have til may anyway to do it :(

innozent
28-11-2008, 01:57 PM
are you 100% sure it is noise from your gearbox?
did u try adrian's advice?

CRXDEL501
28-11-2008, 02:28 PM
gona try what adrian said to do tomorrow.
so im goign to find out soon enough.

if it was the lsd.. im not sure if id be able to hear it in neutral and clutch out at a stand still? would i? :S
i thought id only hear it in this case while moving etc and in gear.

correct me please if im wrong.

thanks

innozent
28-11-2008, 02:39 PM
oem type r LSD should be gear type, does it really wear and make noise??>>
btw, read again what adrian advise you, i think u misunderstood

CRXDEL501
28-11-2008, 03:14 PM
oem type r LSD should be gear type, does it really wear and make noise??>>
btw, read again what adrian advise you, i think u misunderstood

yeah sorta did misunderstand i was thinking something else.

but say it is the lsd.. whats my next step?

am i looking at $$$$.

are u asking if i know if the lsd makes noise and wear?:confused:

innozent
28-11-2008, 03:19 PM
in my understanding, gear type lsd don't need to rebuild and will not wear normally?
and dun think your oem lsd will be the noise source

CRXDEL501
28-11-2008, 04:13 PM
yeah true.
ill do the test, and once the noise gets diagnosed ill post.

thanks for the input :)

vinnY
30-11-2008, 08:11 AM
out of curiosity if the lsd from say a dc2r box breaks, will the car still be drivable?

CRXDEL501
30-11-2008, 08:44 AM
out of curiosity if the lsd from say a dc2r box breaks, will the car still be drivable?

im not sure vinny.

maybe someone else can verify this? :confused:

TODA AU
30-11-2008, 01:23 PM

A lot of times it will drive just fine...
Exibitting a clicking sound similar to blown drive shafts, but only when a positive or negative torque load is applied.
Turning is not related.

vinnY
30-11-2008, 01:38 PM
any other signs of a stuffed lsd? i.e. wobbles on acceleration

CRXDEL501
30-11-2008, 09:43 PM
hmmm
well soon to know what it is.
im a little confused.
if it was the lsd, would the clicking noise only happen when the accelerator is pushed and the clutch released?

i hear the noise stationary, when the clutch is out, in neutral, no accelerator, and moving, when clutch is out in gear, with accelerator pressed.

let ya know how it goes tomorrow.