PDA

View Full Version : What make/year is my car

Eclipsor
05-10-2004, 07:06 PM
Hi all. First post here, hopefully not the last. I am about to buy my first car and my first civic. I'm just a little confused about what model and year it is. Not actually having it yet kinda makes this harder cuz I can't actually look at the engine model etc...

However, this is what I do know. It was advertised as a 94 civic with duel carb. The carb would mean its a gl woulnd't it? But then redbook says all the 94 models are gli's with efi. I got an racq check last friday and on that it has the manufacture date as oct 93 which is right when redbook has the transition between the gl's and the gli's.

I think basically my questions are: Were there any gli's made without efi engines? Did the civic hatch's body shape change between 93 and 94?

I will update the thread when I have the car. Hopefully in the next day or two. thanks

bird
05-10-2004, 07:13 PM
i think there was an option to get efi or carb in 94? ive seen a few 94 twin carb civics for sale in the tradingpost.

Rufes1
05-10-2004, 07:54 PM
eg's came in a dual carb.. d15b4....... As far as power options and Gli, Im not sure, why dont you just give the guy that advertised a ring :)

ECU-MAN
05-10-2004, 09:08 PM
the i in GLi means injected, so no you cant get a GLi carby only GL carby unless its been retrofitted with an Engine.

Eclipsor
05-10-2004, 09:52 PM
ok thanks for the replies. should have the car on thursday so I'll post more info then.

Eclipsor
09-10-2004, 06:04 PM
Well, I got the car yesterday. So happy with it. Not fast, but I love the way it drives. Back to the identification thing. All the badges have been removed by one of the previous owners so that dosn't help. It is an eg series. Does that determine the body shape? It is registered as a civic gli but I'm sure its not. I am pretty sure that it is a breeze, because the owners manual has it as that, and it dosn't have all the power windows features and stuff. The engine says d15z2. Does this make sense? thanks

Here is a picture:
http://members.optusnet.com.au/cameronsemple6/pics/DSC00620.JPG

MoonSha
09-10-2004, 09:10 PM
you know, a pic of the engine bay would help us alot :)

Easy question, does the block say VTEC-E
becuase I guess that would make it a carb version of the d15z1 vtec-e (e for economy) engine.

SiR JDM
10-10-2004, 01:40 PM
Yup, looks like you've got yourself the second series Breeze introduced in 94 =)..

The black doorhandles and black mirrors are trademarks of the breeze, as well as the lack of options -_-
After 94 the breeze's came out with the twin carbi rather than the 1.3 single carbi...

id say 99.9% thats wat u have

SINISTR
10-10-2004, 02:38 PM
Yup, looks like you've got yourself the second series Breeze introduced in 94 =)..

The black doorhandles and black mirrors are trademarks of the breeze, as well as the lack of options -_-
After 94 the breeze's came out with the twin carbi rather than the 1.3 single carbi...

id say 99.9% thats wat u have

thats what I was about to say. Coz GLIs came with injected motors... and the breeze was the Carby model.

Still nice buy there mate :) how many KMs has the car done? looks like its in good nick too!

Mike

Eclipsor
10-10-2004, 11:27 PM
Ok thanks guys. Sounds like you've solved the mystery. Its done about 142 k's. Paid $7500 for it, which after reading bubblecivics ad seems a little steep. Seemed reasonable compared to other offerings at the time though.

Got rid of the stock speakers (which were completely deteriorated) and stereo. I'll get a tune soon aswell, making a few noises. Dosn't sound serious, but yeah not sure when it was serviced last. I'll get some touch up paint aswell and fix a few minor scratches and also touch up most of the black trim which is faded.

I must say that I'm in love. After 3 days of ownership I am a honda fan. Even though it is like the bottom of the line civic from 10 years ago, I enjoy driving it more than any of my parents or friends cars. Large or small, new and old. :D

Oh, one more thing. Its definitely not high on my list of priorites at the moment or probably for quite a while, but is there anything that would be worth doing to the car to improve power and/or handling?

Mitch M
11-10-2004, 06:56 AM
breeze

the door handles aren't the body colour of the car + its a carb

Check the rear sway bar ... breezes don't have one

SiR JDM
11-10-2004, 04:16 PM
Oh, one more thing. Its definitely not high on my list of priorites at the moment or probably for quite a while, but is there anything that would be worth doing to the car to improve power and/or handling?
Handling, it depends what your purpose of this car would be, you could grab a nice set of coilovers or something but for street use they may be a little uncomfortable and you wouldn't use them to their full potential.
If you do want better handling, i say get a spring/shock combo nothing too fancy just so there is a noticeable difference.

As Mitch M said there is no rear sway, so maybe you could invest an an aftermarket front and rear sway combo as well (or maybe just rear to begin with :P)

1.5 twin carbi performance wise, im not really expert but perhaps changing the carbirators to performance ones and depending how long you plan on keeping the car for take off the airfilter all together :P but thats only if your planning a engine swap in the future, if ur not, keep the filter on!!

Javed
11-10-2004, 06:41 PM
No offense, but thats a tad steep for that car.

Eclipsor
11-10-2004, 10:28 PM
Yeah, like I said. Bubblecivics offering on the forums seems a good deal compared to mine. However, on the trading post still atm there isn't much better for the price. In queensland at least. Mine is slightly newer than the average for about that price.

SiR JDM
12-10-2004, 01:20 AM
I picked up my breeze for well under 7k, ill say that :P

Javed
12-10-2004, 06:17 PM
In QLD? I have seen them go alot cheaper that that, for Si's also. I picked up my DC2 gsi for 9k.

mytoycivic
12-10-2004, 08:01 PM
yeh may have been a tad steep but i think its in really good condition if u ask me though...like it looks pretty straight from what i can see :D

Eclipsor
13-10-2004, 11:47 AM
:) thanks mytoycivic. Well, I think we've all had enough of a chance to make eclip feel bad. Guess it would have helped if I'd found these forums a month or two back to get advice. Oh well. Whats done is done and the car is awesome, so lets leave it at that :D