PDA

View Full Version : Ozhonda Member Signup - Email Address issue ?

Sexc86
08-10-2008, 04:05 PM
Greetings Wynode & Moderators.

I Have spoken to many people over the months australia wide in the honda community. These people know about ozhonda, want to join as a member and have tried, only to fall short because their email address is with a public server (hotmail etc). Back a few years ago when i joined i remember i joined with a hotmail account, when did this change and why?

I believe it would benefit the ozhonda community to grow if people were allowed to sign up with public email accounts as thats what the majority of people have these days.

Regards Lyle

Q_ball
08-10-2008, 04:12 PM
Permission to sign up with a public address were stripped after the forum was hacked a couple yrs ago.

A "paid for"/ISP email address is a way for us to track members if need be if any legalities were to arise.
A free email address doesnt provide much security for both members/forum alike.

Regarding your statement about the forum growing etc, though i havent personally monitored this, the growth rate of our member base has been steady if not grown since the hacking so thats not really an issue for us.

Also, allowing free addresses to be used as sign up also induces more "shiet kients" to sign up, as well as spambots and the likes.

Sexc86
08-10-2008, 05:58 PM
I understand what your saying. But the point i am makeing, i personally know plenty of genunine honda enthuaists who would love to join up but they simply cannot.

I know ozhonda has grown since the hack still... but surely we can find a happy medium that will alow more genunine users to join with less hassell.

bennjamin
08-10-2008, 05:59 PM
Unless they use an official email address from a ISP etc , there is no way they can sign up to this forum. That is the be all end all sorry.

chunky
08-10-2008, 06:05 PM
cool hotmail ftw (H)
but yeah it increases security and gets rid of spammers
dont your mates have an email adress from thier isp's?

ek4-guy
08-10-2008, 06:05 PM
Anyone that has internet should have an ISP email address why don't they just cough it up

Oh but I'd better not say what type of email addy my Mrs recently signed up with

bennjamin
08-10-2008, 06:07 PM
yeah most isp's give out like 20 email addresses for you to use. im sure they can get a spare email address and use it. Dont let em be lazy.

Q_ball
08-10-2008, 06:11 PM
Lyle - if your friends really want to be members, then advise them to join using one of their ISP's free email accounts.

Upholding the security of this forum is more important than satisfying a few people wanting to sign up.

Sexc86
08-10-2008, 06:21 PM
Yeh sure thing guys. I guess its just haveing the "know how" to do such a thing. I will pass it on, but i wouldnt know how to do this either. If optus was my ISP, would that mean i would get a email adress like "Lyle@optus.com" or similar? and usually do you acess these at the ISPs web page?

ek4-guy
08-10-2008, 06:22 PM
Yeh sure thing guys. I guess its just haveing the "know how" to do such a thing. I will pass it on, but i wouldnt know how to do this either. If optus was my ISP, would that mean i would get a email adress like "Lyle@optus.com" or similar? and usually do you acess these at the ISPs web page?

yes x2

Q_ball
08-10-2008, 06:25 PM
If optus was my ISP, would that mean i would get a email adress like "Lyle@optus.com" or similar? and usually do you acess these at the ISPs web page?

Yeps :)
Usually its something like;
<prefix of your choice>@optusnet.com.au

If you go to your ISPs website, there will be a login section that will take you to your "My Account" section.
In there, theres usually an option within that reads something along the lines of "Webmail" or "Family Accounts"

Its relatively straight forward to setup if its not done already.

ndeuro_
08-10-2008, 06:36 PM
They could even use Outlook express. Set up is like your hotmail only less hassle because the program is built in to windows. So they can check their mails with one click of a button instead of having to login into a website. And usually its hard to find because ISP websites are more dedicated to other things rather then emails.

dsp26
08-10-2008, 06:45 PM
use a proper account like a work email... change it when you've officially joined

hisoka
08-10-2008, 10:05 PM
yeah most isp's give out like 20 email addresses for you to use. im sure they can get a spare email address and use it. Dont let em be lazy.

:thumbsup:

this is true~i gave most of mine out lol. its so easy~even they can go to work if it has internet, they should have work ones.

wynode
09-10-2008, 07:08 PM
use a proper account like a work email... change it when you've officially joined
Won't work.

trism
10-10-2008, 09:51 PM
can you have it do that you can change it after a certain amount of time being here/posts/rep points?

bennjamin
10-10-2008, 09:54 PM
but why ? If you absolutely must change it , pm myself or wynode and explain why and im sure we can do something.

SHOGUNOVDDRK
10-10-2008, 10:53 PM
Anyone that has internet should have an ISP email address why don't they just cough it up

My thoughts from the Original Post]

Lyle if you have a spare email address why not let your mate use it like ive seen other members do

trism
11-10-2008, 08:53 PM
but why ?

because the address i signed up with has been inactive for 2 years :P

bennjamin
11-10-2008, 09:08 PM
whoops :) pm myself or Wynode with a proper ISP or similar email.

Lukey
12-10-2008, 03:56 PM
email i signed up with is like trisms but not as long

TONTON
12-10-2008, 07:23 PM
lol i remember lurking around ozhonda like 4 years ago... and then about a year ago? or more i was gonna sign up but i had gmail.. and it wouldnt let me... so i left it for a year and then when ozhonda made the appearance gallery private, i just signed up using my isp email.

lulz

dsp26
15-10-2008, 04:12 PM
got a question right...

If we weren't a member and somehow managed to contact admin/mod.. could we pay for membership in advance and use the [at]ozhonda.com email account setup internally?