Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Team YCD President Array
    Car:
    Honbaru Yum Cha
    Quote Originally Posted by yfin
    The Philips "blue" style globes that Autobarn sell for $55-$120 are a waste of money in my opinion. A white globe is better.
    Actually, it's the bluish globes that make the light whiter... a clear bulb don't make it whiter It's a colour frequency thingy in physics :P
    146.8Kws @ Wheels Diesel CL9 Euro (SOLD), 2009 Honda VT Shadow, NC PRHT Mazda MX-5, Boxing SG Forester, Honda Civic Sport
    RenaultSport RS265 Trophy+

Team Yum Cha Daily - The Dim Sum Revolution

OzHonda's Public Relations Guru

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic & 380GT
    Quote Originally Posted by EuroAccord13
    Actually, it's the bluish globes that make the light whiter... a clear bulb don't make it whiter It's a colour frequency thingy in physics :P
    I am no expert on this - this guy (link below) seems to know what he is talking about - and says blue bulbs reduce the amount of light (even if it appears whiter). Apparently clear glass bulbs produce more light. That is all I care about - light throw and distance- which is why I went for the Osram SilverStar +50 with the clear glass. I am not convinced the expensive blue Philips globes sold in Autobarn are any better than my $35 Osram globes.

Blue bulbs Page 1
    Page 2
    Last edited by yfin; 10-10-2004 at 09:08 PM.

good read!

EDIT:
    Product Description for crystal vision

Crystal Vision Performance Globes
    CrystalVision is a very white light with a colour temperature of 4300K. The amount of light output is slightly less than that of a standard globe but is much whiter / bluish. Gives a definite blue appearance when you look into the headlight lens.
    Last edited by ^^v; 10-10-2004 at 11:51 PM.

Team YCD President Array
    Car:
    Honbaru Yum Cha
    Quote Originally Posted by yfin
    I am not convinced the expensive blue Philips globes sold in Autobarn are any better than my $35 Osram globes.
    I agree but see, it comes down to branding too, and in the set, the Philips has white parkers in it too. But the Philips will indeed be whiter than the Osram Plus 50....

CHEERS
    Nick
    146.8Kws @ Wheels Diesel CL9 Euro (SOLD), 2009 Honda VT Shadow, NC PRHT Mazda MX-5, Boxing SG Forester, Honda Civic Sport
    RenaultSport RS265 Trophy+

Team Yum Cha Daily - The Dim Sum Revolution

OzHonda's Public Relations Guru

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic & 380GT
    Quote Originally Posted by EuroAccord13
    I agree but see, it comes down to branding too, and in the set, the Philips has white parkers in it too. But the Philips will indeed be whiter than the Osram Plus 50....

CHEERS
    Nick
    I have no doubt the Philips is whiter (especially if it is a blue globe)-distance and light output is more important to me than how white the light appears. It depends on what you want out of a globe
    Last edited by yfin; 11-10-2004 at 07:41 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic & 380GT
    Quote Originally Posted by ^^v
    good read!

EDIT:
    Product Description for crystal vision

Crystal Vision Performance Globes
    CrystalVision is a very white light with a colour temperature of 4300K. The amount of light output is slightly less than that of a standard globe but is much whiter / bluish. Gives a definite blue appearance when you look into the headlight lens.
    Good pickup! One shop that shall remain nameless (Autobarn Cheltenham) tried to convince me these Philips globes were going to improve the light throw distance for my Euro lights (that is what I told them I was looking for). They said to get the top of the range Philips globe for $129. It was a good thing I walked away and did some research on the net about these globes...Like I said earlier - I think they are a waste of money - unless you want your car to look like it has HIDs but with reduced light output
    Last edited by yfin; 11-10-2004 at 07:48 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    CT9A
    Where do I get a pair of those Osram Plus 50? For 35 really don't mind tryin em' out...hehe anywhere in Melb?
    arrowz
    SiR

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic & 380GT
    Quote Originally Posted by JINRAI
    Where do I get a pair of those Osram Plus 50? For 35 really don't mind tryin em' out...hehe anywhere in Melb?
    I got mine from Repco in Glenhuntly Road Elsternwick. I think the correct name is "Osram Silverstars +50". They come in a small cardboard box and are sold individually for $16 or $17 each. Well worth the money.

The osrams took out the distance award in this comparo... Philips Cool blue - 20 metres behind!
    http://www.powerbulbs.co.uk/autoexpress.asp

And no - i don't work for Osram!
    Last edited by yfin; 11-10-2004 at 02:02 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    CT9A
    Thanks Yfin...appreciate the info...easy to install? is it more white or slightly yellowish?
    It's for me DC5, is it universal?
    arrowz
    SiR

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic & 380GT
    Quote Originally Posted by JINRAI
    Thanks Yfin...appreciate the info...easy to install? is it more white or slightly yellowish?
    It's for me DC5, is it universal?
    Colour will probably be exactly the same as your standard DC5 globe - neither more white or yellow.

Look in your car manual re what globe you need - I think mine were H1.

I found it tricky to install as my projectors are in an awkard position - I couldn't get my large hands into the opening. The high beams were easy though.

Your car manual explains how to install.

Member Array
    Car:
    CT9A
    Dammn..got me excited for abit...heh
    arrowz
    SiR