Member Array
    Car:
    dc5r

racing harness in street car

what are the rules in having a racing harness (eg 4 point) in street car. Is it road worthy or not :S

Member Array
    Car:
    DA9
    Racing harnesses are illegal in street cars unless they've been engineered. I don't think it would be a difficult process. It may or may not be important, but you most likely wont be able to carry passengers in the back seats. Thats why I didn't end up getting mine.
    Bought from: Taleb Tyres, scyt7e

Member Array
    Car:
    ES1 Turbo, EK1
    needs to be engineered, if not then yes its illegal. i say its not worth it.
    if u ever roll the car with no cage then ur stuck in an up right position and cant lean to the side and get saved from crushing ur neck or spine.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Even if it was engineered, it is quite difficult to turn your head to check your blindspots when using a racing harness on the street. So cops won't like it much.

Quote Originally Posted by Riced_Civic View Post
    needs to be engineered, if not then yes its illegal. i say its not worth it.
    if u ever roll the car with no cage then ur stuck in an up right position and cant lean to the side and get saved from crushing ur neck or spine.
    Not much difference between rolling your car with regular seat belts or a racing harness. You're stuffed in both cases if the roof caves in.
    With seat belts, you might fall out of your seat if the car is upside down, plus or minus, up to you to decide.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    ES1 Turbo, EK1
    that is tru also, point taken, but i reckon racing harness should just be used for racing.

Member Array
    Car:
    dc5r
    Quote Originally Posted by Riced_Civic View Post
    that is tru also, point taken, but i reckon racing harness should just be used for racing.
    yeh good points guys ill save it for track days i think

racing harness + cage

either that or a stock setup.

IMO

Member Array
    Car:
    A piece of shit
    Harnesses on street suck! You can't reach radio, cup holder... ANYTHING. Harder to check blind spots.

Plus it's illegal, unless engineered. And it's hard to get engineered on a street car, because they don't retract like OEM belts. They have done tests, where if in a head on collision, because the belt doesn't retract, with the force of a head on, your brain can press against your skull, leading to brain damage - Hense why good harnesses have a little bit of stretch to them, to absorb the initial movement forward of your body/brain.

Also make sure you have the right seats for them. Stock DC2R seats are perfectly fine for them, regardless of what some people say. Some seats that are not designed for them can snap under stress from the harness.

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Forsure,so not practical plus you look like a wanker.

Member Array
    Car:
    The Moving Kind
    i have harness's in my "street car"

but dont wear them on street, i still have all the standard seat belts in only use them at drags and track

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    I have a set of harness for my car, but I take them off on the street since it is easy to do so with the eyelets and quick hook attachments.

One thing bad about stock seats with harness is that your shoulder can be higher than the height of the seat back, so if you do get into an accident, the straps will tighten and pull down as your body moves forward, crushing the bones in your shoulder. The only way to avoid this is to have seats with a higher back (or have holes for the straps at higher than shoulder level) or mount the harness onto the rear of the roll cage at a similar height or higher than your shoulder.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2