Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    green whip!

how to properly flush coolant from b series?

i usually
    - switch the car to heater
    - drain all the fluid possibile
    - take out thermostat
    - run hose down top radiator hose until water coming out of the thermostat housing is clear

are there any extra steps i can take to make sure the system is properly flushed out?
    also how much litres should it take to refill a completely empty system?

just checked out the manual and it appears all i need to do is drain the system and unbolt the drain bolt from the block and it should flush it all out
    should i stick with my method or go with the manual for a full flush?

you could do the above , and also remove the frontal drain on the front of the block , behind the header primaries. then , stick a hose in say the upper coolant hole on the block and run water thru it until nothing but clear water emits from the block.
    Just drain from radiator and refill like normal. Its fine

Member Array
    Car:
    EG3
    sounds good, then when you refill make sure you bleed it properly by opening the bleed nipple or opening the cap and letting the air escape.
    You're looking at around 5 liters according to the technical guide for a b18c7 and 4.5 for b16 but buy another 2 liters in case + it won't hurt because you'll need it further on down the track
    Why hello there

Quote Originally Posted by shadou View Post
    but buy another 2 liters in case + it won't hurt because you'll need it further on down the track
    why is that?

Member Array
    Car:
    560hp
    do when it's hot, when the thermostat is open, and the heater lever is all the way to hot.
    and that will get 90% of the coolant out.

Member Array
    Car:
    green whip!
    wouldn't doing it hot, draining it and pouring cool coolant down there bust something?

or do you mean drain it while it's hot then let it cool for 1-2 hours then refill?

Quote Originally Posted by destrukshn View Post
    do when it's hot, when the thermostat is open, and the heater lever is all the way to hot.
    And that will get 90% of the coolant out.
    insane. Lol
    '12 PWP Tree Hugging Machine
    '99 GPW S2000
    '99 CW DC2R

Member Array
    Car:
    560hp
    nah, works good.
    lol.
    just use gloves and careful not to get anything on you.
    when you open the tap at the bottom of the rad, it would only drip out.. so what you do, is slowly release the pressure from the system by slowly opening the rad cap, and the coolant will piss out.
    lol.

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    Quote Originally Posted by destrukshn View Post
    and that will get 90% of the coolant out.

this not only sounds dangerous to the engine but to the unskilled person that is about to reqd this and attempt to drain their cooling system while its really hot and under a lot of pressure. i wouldn't recommend this method to anyone.

just carry out the coolant fluch while it is cold as pouring cold water to into the engine may caus serious damage eg. crqcked or warped cylinder head.
    OMG!!! VTEC JUST KICKED IN YO!!!

Member Array
    Car:
    EG3
    Quote Originally Posted by migoreng View Post
    why is that?
    not sure if the technical guide is referring to a normal coolant flush which is just opening the drain bolt or from dry, doesn't state.
    Why hello there

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    b16s in ek4s don't have them i've been looking before. Only b18s have a bleed nipple
    Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    you could do the above , and also remove the frontal drain on the front of the block , behind the header primaries. then , stick a hose in say the upper coolant hole on the block and run water thru it until nothing but clear water emits from the block.
    Just drain from radiator and refill like normal. Its fine
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

Member Array
    Car:
    green whip!
    isn't this the bleed bolt ona b16? same as b18 afaik

spotted you today limbo