Member Array
    Car:
    EG Si Hatchie

space saver tyre. pressure? legal?

2 questions.

1 re: space saver from ek hatch. what pressure do you pump these to? it says max load xxxkg at 60 psi. does this mean i pump it to 60 psi? seems high thats all. i know space savers run higher pressure but that seems extreme.

2 re: using my old ek's space saver as my eg's spare legal? my eg came with a full size spare does this mean a space saver be used still or do i have to retain full size? doesn't mention anything in the pdf modifications guide on qld transport. due to my new sub box design and want to have a spare i am using my old space saver from my old ek. i took it out of it to make room for my stereo but want a spare in my car this time round, even tho i never needed it, i take long scenic drives and don't wanna be stuck atop a windy mountain road or half way to a friends property at crows nest 2 hours away in the sticks etc.

thankyou
    Is this the end of my car modding days? Buying a house says so...

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic Ferio 99
    1. yes, inflate to 60psi
    and
    2. yes, its fine to use the old EK space saver on the eg. Just make sure you get the tyre fixed or replaced asap.

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    i think i remember reading somewhere that if a car has a full size spare factory then it cant have a space saver.

although i doubt that if a cop pulled you over he isnt gonna know all the cars that are spose to have full sized spares, much less wanna check it.

im pretty sure that 60psi is about right
    to see all of my build, checkout

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    Is it illegal to be driving around without a spare tire?

My mentality has always been that if my tire ever blew, i'd just get my bro to drop off the spare for me.

And what if he cant? And you get stuck? IMO you should always carry a spare tyre around just in case.

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    no its not illegal to have no spare.

the law is that if you have a spare it must be roadworthy ie. not bald, and must be infalted correctly
    to see all of my build, checkout

Member Array
    Car:
    EG Si Hatchie
    i ran for a year and a half no spare in my ek. i only got a slow leak once and by the time i could put air in it the camber and 35 profile tyres on my 18's it had buggered my tyre's inside wall. no spare is ok if you have and emergency tyre weld spray etc or run flats. i inflated my space saver to 60 psi.
    Is this the end of my car modding days? Buying a house says so...

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Quote Originally Posted by Amanda View Post
    And what if he cant? And you get stuck? IMO you should always carry a spare tyre around just in case.
    I live on the edge

If a car came with a spare then legally you have to carry it, and it has to be in usable condition.

You cant 'downgrade' a spare from a regular wheel to a spacesaver either.

Oh, and yeah pump it up to its max recommended. Even though it'll be higher than your regular wheels youre not supposed to use it for that long. And if its a regular wheel then just deflate it down to the correct pressure when you put it on if you want. (DONT do that for space savers though).
    ...... and that's all I have to say about that.