Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Civic VTi-R Hatch

Thumbs up Simota Cold Air Intake Review (massive pic warning)

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Aim: To install a nice shiny CAI onto my EK4.

Required: CAI, basic hand tools( Spanners, philips heads, knife, beer) and more complex tools (a mate).

Steps: Unbolt and unclip all stock intake parts, bolt up new intake. Was relatively easy - took and afternoon of trial and error to install. (no instructions included - PM me and ill send you some links for install pages).

Review: So i bought this intake from "egSi", who sent it promptly - no problems at all. It cost somewhere around the 200 mark....

When it arrived I pieced it all together on my bed :

So the next weekend me and a mate got stuck into the install. Trial and error saw us getting the stock stuff out... We had a bit of difficulty when my powerlifter mate went a bit nuts tightening the metal 'zip-tie' clamp thingy - but a trip to the local hardware store sorted that out. The 'rubber tube thing' (part of the clamp device- the inside bit) was quite hard to get over the throttle body opening - but with some ingenuity (getting a metal tin and hammering the inside of it to push the rubber onto the TB....or something like that) it was all good.

So - the intake was installed:

[img][/img]
    .....now for the test drive. In neutral - giving it a bit of a rev, not much difference was apparent at all.....a bit worried at this stage. So we set out onto the road. For some reason the traffic was kinda hectic - driving 40 in a school zone ruled out any serious revving.

....but dandenong road (princess highway) was within sight - patiently waiting for the green arrow to turn......then gunned it in second after the corner. Whooaaarrrrrr!! I'll have to get a sound recording for you guys...

I didnt want to make any calls about any power gain....the sound was soo different that it was very hard to actually compare. So i went to the local legal - off street drag meet and ran my mate's integra VTi-R.... he usually beats me....but i was consistantly beating him....not by much....but still. (que "it doesnt matter if you win by an inch or a mile...." vin deisal speach).

Iv now had my intake for around a month - iv had no problems with it at all. The sound of my car has changed - the exhaust now sounds deeper....and my car seems to be pulling very very nicely. So i went to the local legal - off street drag meet and ran an S14 (with intake and BOV) and got it off the line - he came back.....but not enough. Same with an S2000 (with very loud exhaust and dunno wot else) who wasnt dragging at start - but then tried to come back at me without too much success. Both the S2K and S14 were quite suprised and asked me wot mods i had and giving me the thumbs up. (Note that my car is not faster than either an S14 or an S2K - but i was trying to illustrate that my car is faster than everything....i mean ....it gave them a bit of a run....wheras before it wasnt really that close).

The cool thing about the cold air intake - is that the filter is mounted behind the bumper - so it sucks in cold air...and the filter is mounted in a much cooler place - so when it is filtering the air, its not heating the air (like engine bay filters do, even if they have a cold air feed). To prevent hydrolock, you can mount the filter in the engine bay during winter.

To sum it all up - it wasnt too expensive, was relatively easy to install, sounds great and goes harder.

What more can you ask for?

If you've got any questions - PM me.

Cheers,
    mike.
    Last edited by VTEC16; 21-10-2004 at 12:26 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    BLZ-ARW021
    Nice write-up Micheal.

Great *cough*huge-arse*cough* pics btw.

Member Array
    Car:
    ek
    is this the only mod u hav on ur car.?
    12.949 @ 107.71mph
    2.063 60ft on Advan AD08
    EKK20A 142.9kw on 98ron

its not called stance if you're on spacers..

TRAVDM Array
    Car:
    Lots of Hondas
    whoa nice write up man,
    the egSi guy has got it goin on
    oh wrd!

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic VTi-R Hatch
    Quote Originally Posted by toE
    Nice write-up Micheal.

Great *cough*huge-arse*cough* pics btw.
    cheers - i did give a "massive pic warning" ....my editing software has decided to crash....

Quote Originally Posted by zco
    is this the only mod u hav on ur car.?
    iv got a 2.25" cat-back as well.....shoulda put it somewhere there...

Quote Originally Posted by egSi
    whoa nice write up man,
    the egSi guy has got it goin on
    thanks man - nahh.....he's not really all that
    Last edited by VTEC16; 21-10-2004 at 12:28 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED/EG5/EP3/JAZZ
    I just got one of these tho it didn’t come with any nuts or bolts to bolt it on

Is this normal?

Thx Luke

Member Array
    Car:
    s2000, RIP Prelude Vtir
    can you get the bypass valves for these like the AEM ones

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000 - AP1
    VTEC16 shit man dat intake is longer den mine...wen u giv it...jus b4 vtec kicks in does it sound like a cow ? n moooo's ?....or in low gears at high revs ?

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Mirage
    got any times?
    how faster did u run with the CAI
    we know its sounds cool

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz
    dman ur making me wanna buy a CAI! =D those pics are HUGE!

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic VTi-R Hatch
    luke - mine came with all nuts n' bolts (ps- dont have access to my links atm - be a couple days)

vtek - dont think so man - but theres not really any point - they make you lost power.

HRVboy - wtf man? my car aint no cow - me n' my drunk brother had a good laugh at that LOL!

iced - no times at all......just the drags against my mates...and seat of the pants... sorry.

sheepo - get one! ....for the last time, i did put a 'massive pic warning'

Cheers all,

mike.

Winner! Array
    Car:
    dc2
    Quote Originally Posted by VTEC16
    Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Aim: To install a nice shiny CAI onto my EK4.

Required: CAI, basic hand tools( Spanners, philips heads, knife, beer) and more complex tools (a mate).

Steps: Unbolt and unclip all stock intake parts, bolt up new intake. Was relatively easy - took and afternoon of trial and error to install. (no instructions included - PM me and ill send you some links for install pages).

Review: So i bought this intake from "egSi", who sent it promptly - no problems at all. It cost somewhere around the 200 mark....

When it arrived I pieced it all together on my bed :

So the next weekend me and a mate got stuck into the install. Trial and error saw us getting the stock stuff out... We had a bit of difficulty when my powerlifter mate went a bit nuts tightening the metal 'zip-tie' clamp thingy - but a trip to the local hardware store sorted that out. The 'rubber tube thing' (part of the clamp device- the inside bit) was quite hard to get over the throttle body opening - but with some ingenuity (getting a metal tin and hammering the inside of it to push the rubber onto the TB....or something like that) it was all good.

So - the intake was installed:

.....now for the test drive. In neutral - giving it a bit of a rev, not much difference was apparent at all.....a bit worried at this stage. So we set out onto the road. For some reason the traffic was kinda hectic - driving 40 in a school zone ruled out any serious revving.

....but dandenong road (princess highway) was within sight - patiently waiting for the green arrow to turn......then gunned it in second after the corner. Whooaaarrrrrr!! I'll have to get a sound recording for you guys...

I didnt want to make any calls about any power gain....the sound was soo different that it was very hard to actually compare. So i went to the local legal - off street drag meet and ran my mate's integra VTi-R.... he usually beats me....but i was consistantly beating him....not by much....but still. (que "it doesnt matter if you win by an inch or a mile...." vin deisal speach).

Iv now had my intake for around a month - iv had no problems with it at all. The sound of my car has changed - the exhaust now sounds deeper....and my car seems to be pulling very very nicely. So i went to the local legal - off street drag meet and ran an S14 (with intake and BOV) and got it off the line - he came back.....but not enough. Same with an S2000 (with very loud exhaust and dunno wot else) who wasnt dragging at start - but then tried to come back at me without too much success. Both the S2K and S14 were quite suprised and asked me wot mods i had and giving me the thumbs up. (Note that my car is not faster than either an S14 or an S2K - but i was trying to illustrate that my car is faster than everything....i mean ....it gave them a bit of a run....wheras before it wasnt really that close).

The cool thing about the cold air intake - is that the filter is mounted behind the bumper - so it sucks in cold air...and the filter is mounted in a much cooler place - so when it is filtering the air, its not heating the air (like engine bay filters do, even if they have a cold air feed). To prevent hydrolock, you can mount the filter in the engine bay during winter.

To sum it all up - it wasnt too expensive, was relatively easy to install, sounds great and goes harder.

What more can you ask for?

If you've got any questions - PM me.

Cheers,
    mike.
    WHAT THE?

i think i am slightly sceptical??? i know u have not made calls about any power gains - instead, illistrations.

but according to ur illistrations, u are saying that ur new intake is responsible for extra power. extra power to be able to now beat ur friends dc2, extra power to be able to give s2k and s14 a run for their money.

??? i know CAI, and SRI mods are possibly to most popular and easy mods that people can do, and are very widely done, but i dont know anyone who has ever concluded that it was responsible for extra power - or rather that is was responsible for them being able to beat other cars (in ur example).

is it really THAT black and white? or have i mistaken what uve written?

(pls note, this is not a flame mike, just wanna be clear - great write up!)
    Last edited by fried; 21-11-2004 at 08:07 PM.
    when do we hit vtec?