Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    guys.....

it is a proven fact that a CAI will not increase HP ATW majorly if anything at all....especially on a stock engine. PLEASE mike , dyno graph ur car BEFORE and AFTER to prove to the world any results ok !

BTW.....far as i know and have experienced - a good CAI "feels" to improve flow and pull etc.....but is it only really noise = confidence equation ? What do HP numbers ATW really matter anyway ? IF this helsp u win....its what gives u the edge

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic VTi-R Hatch
    Quote Originally Posted by fried
    WHAT THE?

i think i am slightly sceptical??? i know u have not made calls about any power gains - instead, illistrations.

but according to ur illistrations, u are saying that ur new intake is responsible for extra power. extra power to be able to now beat ur friends dc2, extra power to be able to give s2k and s14 a run for their money.

??? i know CAI, and SRI mods are possibly to most popular and easy mods that people can do, and are very widely done, but i dont know anyone who has ever concluded that it was responsible for extra power - or rather that is was responsible for them being able to beat other cars (in ur example).

is it really THAT black and white? or have i mistaken what uve written?

(pls note, this is not a flame mike, just wanna be clear - great write up!)
    Yes - i am saying that i think i got more power. I wouldnt say i am alone in saying that it gives more power (as opposed to "i dont know anyone who has ever concluded that it was responsible for extra power").

I have a cat-back exhaust and a CAI - my car is certainly not as fast as an S2000 or a S14.....i gave them a bit of a run- no i didnt beat them.....nor was it that close to the S2000.....but it seemed closer than my other encounters. i was just trying to illustrate that my car seems more powerful than before - which obviously came out as "my car is as fast as XXX car"....though i tried to avoid this in my initial post.

Me and my mate (DC VTi-R) have always been very close in drags - with him previously winning more than me....but it seems that now my car usually pulls a tad on him. Yes - this could be due to a number of unrelated reasons - but both our tires are in same condition.....he has a cat-back as well...

Im not saying i got a 20wkw gain..... i cant speculate on numbers (wouldnt be more than a few)....but im just saying that my car seems faster due to my comparisons with other cars.

No flame taken

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic VTi-R Hatch
    Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin
    guys.....

it is a proven fact that a CAI will not increase HP ATW majorly if anything at all....especially on a stock engine. PLEASE mike , dyno graph ur car BEFORE and AFTER to prove to the world any results ok !

BTW.....far as i know and have experienced - a good CAI "feels" to improve flow and pull etc.....but is it only really noise = confidence equation ? What do HP numbers ATW really matter anyway ? IF this helsp u win....its what gives u the edge
    True - i did not gain a lot of power from this mod!
    I do believe i gained SOME high end power. Although im not gonna dyno my car....sorry ben.

When i first wrote the article - i didnt put any assumptions as to whether i gained power or not. The noise was too overwhelming for me to objectively say whether my car was faster or not. I know about the pseudo effect etc.

It was only after running other cars that i noticed an improvement.

When two relatively even cars are matched up against eachother (my civic and my mate's ingtegra), a very small amount of extra power can make the difference between winning and losing.

...I think the main problem is that i wrote the CAI review along with a couple of experiences, which maybe i shouldnt have put in. They dont really objectively tell anything......they were more - 'had to be there' moments.

Guys- im honestly not one of those guys that sais 'i got 10kw from this and 15kw from this'....and then said he has a fast car. Im always skeptical of people who claim they made power gains.

But in reality - all im saying is that my car seems a little faster than when it was stock.

Quote Originally Posted by VTEC16
    But in reality - all im saying is that my car seems a little faster than when it was stock.

Winner! Array
    Car:
    dc2
    cool mike!

yeah, i wasnt having a go, cos i know u mentioned that

1) u werent making calls on power
    2) the extra noise in the intake could not have been assumed to be power vs noise

etc.

i was just curious about the mystical powers of this intake lol - esp on an ek4 with intake and catback vs a dc2 with catback.

again, in all situations, theres no absolutes, and anyone could end up pulling on the other car - but again in my experience, a stock dc2 (+ muffler only) vs an ek4 with j's racing intake, trust catback, lightweight race rims, cam timing adjustment etc, would only ever end with the dc2 pulling away.

but eitherway, lol - great write up, and info on ur experiences !!!
    when do we hit vtec?

Member Array
    Car:
    EG Civic VTi
    nice write up mate, intake mods definately sound mad when vtec kicks in

Member Array
    Car:
    EKD
    u mustve got lucky... coz a honda with just cai cannot beat a dc2 or s2k or s14 lol... blame the drivers.. as for power gains.. a 2-4kW gain.. is still quiet wishful..

but nice mod tho!

Winner! Array
    Car:
    dc2
    he only mentioned that he beat his friends dc2 dude. the s2k adn s14 were just examples of his car pulling a little harder than before, hence "scarying" theose drivings.

when do we hit vtec?

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic VTi-R Hatch
    Quote Originally Posted by [stealth]
    u mustve got lucky... coz a honda with just cai cannot beat a dc2 or s2k or s14 lol... blame the drivers.. as for power gains.. a 2-4kW gain.. is still quiet wishful..

but nice mod tho!

I have exhuast aswell....and as said above (thanks fried)- my car is not faster than any turbo silvia nor an S2K... 2-4kW would be great - but not unacheivable in some parts of the power curve. Not that im saying i got that much.