Member Array
    Car:
    2007 Euro/2008 Civic

Is it bad to rev a car engine in park or neutral?

And which of these gears is it better/safer to rev the engine in?

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3
    Quote Originally Posted by unity View Post
    Is it bad to rev a car engine in park or neutral?

And which of these gears is it better/safer to rev the engine in?And which of these gears is it better/safer to rev the engine in?
    The car is in neutral or park, it doesnt matter!

More to the point why would you have the need to rev a car in neutral/park to the point where it would be bad??

Answer is....its ok to rev you engine in neutral/park. Just not when its cold and dont hold it on rev limiter!

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Try not to, because free revving can damage the engine. Having said that, I have done it up to 4500rpm.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    EG
    your engine is revving the same whether the engine is in park/neutral or any gear.

the only difference is that there is no load on the engine so its not working quiet as hard as it is when its driving.

all moving parts eventually wear... Driving your car to work is "bad" on your engine, driving anywear is adding wear on the engine. How you maintain and drive your vehicle has a massive amount to how its life will be.

revving your engine in any circumstance your engine is still moving.

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    MV Agusta F4
    Free reving is bad. No need to do it.
    Deano.

Member Array
    Car:
    2007 Euro/2008 Civic
    I have no intention to take it anywhere near the rev limiter. I just realised today this is the best way I can demonstrate my car vibrations which occur at the 2000RPM mark. And if I am getting this in either P or N then the dealer can't tell me this is a characteristic of the torque converter. Right?

When the dealers do the idle learn procedure and need to hold the engine speed at 3000RPM is this done by physically pushing the accelerator pedal or is it controlled by their computer device?
    Last edited by unity; 03-03-2009 at 06:19 PM.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    2000rpm is fine. Don't worry. Also, the damage is done by the fast rate of RPM increase during free revving which causes most of the damage.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    2007 Euro/2008 Civic
    Is it possible that I might have a problem with my mounts if I get this roughness/vibration at 2000 RPM?

Member Array
    Car:
    Teggy, Spada Vt
    Quote Originally Posted by unity View Post
    Is it possible that I might have a problem with my mounts if I get this roughness/vibration at 2000 RPM?
    well there could be a number of things relating to vibrations/roughness... (PLEASE CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG)

mounts will rattle and is more commonly noticible while driving. i.e change through gears the engine will thug itself back this is dampened by the mount busings, worn mounts shall cause a rattle or a uneven feel when gears are engaged/disengaged.

if its a manual car and u hear a vibration while clutch is diped or not pressed there is a good chance your thrush bearing is worn out...the thrush bearing is what sits on your drive shaft comming from the gear box. this is common wear and tear and nothing major.

again if its a manual car and vibrations are hear while clutch is diped or gear engaged and running at a low rpm it could be your flywheel, for it to be your flywheel your gear box has to be in really bad condition and trashed to the max.
    -=¤§ ń Ĩ ģ ĥ ţ Ŵ ő Ł F §¤=- ™

info worth the rep point?
    WIFE AND DOG MISSING!!!
    REWARD FOR DOG

Member Array
    Car:
    2007 Euro/2008 Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by night_wolf View Post
    well there could be a number of things relating to vibrations/roughness... (PLEASE CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG)

mounts will rattle and is more commonly noticible while driving. i.e change through gears the engine will thug itself back this is dampened by the mount busings, worn mounts shall cause a rattle or a uneven feel when gears are engaged/disengaged.

if its a manual car and u hear a vibration while clutch is diped or not pressed there is a good chance your thrush bearing is worn out...the thrush bearing is what sits on your drive shaft comming from the gear box. this is common wear and tear and nothing major.

again if its a manual car and vibrations are hear while clutch is diped or gear engaged and running at a low rpm it could be your flywheel, for it to be your flywheel your gear box has to be in really bad condition and trashed to the max.
    My car is automatic. The way if feels is exactly the same way the car feels when engine breaking.

Member Array
    Car:
    Teggy, Spada Vt
    yeah it could be your mounts then.
    -=¤§ ń Ĩ ģ ĥ ţ Ŵ ő Ł F §¤=- ™

info worth the rep point?
    WIFE AND DOG MISSING!!!
    REWARD FOR DOG