Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro Luxury

Removing spray can paint from wheels

I just got some stock euro wheels which were sprayed matt black, i'm assuming with a spray can. You can see where the balancing weights were its not painted.

What would be the best thing to remove the paint and bring it back to standard finish without destroying the alloy wheel itself?

Member Array
    Car:
    CU2 Accord Euro
    Use good old, Kitten cutting compound, VERY lightly, until it takes all the paint off,

depending on how thick the coat is..

The stuff will set you back about $12 from Supercheap auto..

if it's a thick coat, go hell for leather on it.. but if you're planning on cutting back all paint from all the wheels, you will be there for a while,

Paint stripper is the best, but may stuff up the alloys...

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro Luxury
    Quote Originally Posted by xxb4xx View Post
    Use good old, Kitten cutting compound, VERY lightly, until it takes all the paint off,

depending on how thick the coat is..

The stuff will set you back about $12 from Supercheap auto..

if it's a thick coat, go hell for leather on it.. but if you're planning on cutting back all paint from all the wheels, you will be there for a while,

Paint stripper is the best, but may stuff up the alloys...
    Cutting compound hey, didn't think that would be strong enough but might try it.

yeah i think anything containing acids like paint stripper will kill the alloy.

Member Array
    Car:
    14EGs/8EDs/3EKs
    Good luck getting it back to alloy if it's been painted on!

Might aswell spray it alloy

Don't waste your time/money on trying to get the black off back to alloy finish.
    JDM D15B - you wouldn't understand

No K-SWAP ? No worries - Unfriend

go to mag man in sydney, his got someshit that stips of paint in a dip .. well thats what he told me?! LOL

Member Array
    Car:
    CU2 Accord Euro
    Magman is good.. he'll rub it back using some really fine sandpaper and probably a mild solution of paint stripper.. but he can always paint the rim whatever colour he likes..

But yeah, $12 isn't a bad investement to try.. it will work, but don't expect to do it all in 2 hours.. alot of elbow grease will be needed, if it's a thick coat

Member Array
    Car:
    Lexus IS-F
    Quote Originally Posted by E_Honda View Post
    I just got some stock euro wheels which were sprayed matt black, i'm assuming with a spray can. You can see where the balancing weights were its not painted.

What would be the best thing to remove the paint and bring it back to standard finish without destroying the alloy wheel itself?
    If they painted it black properly, then good luck stripping it off again.
    Sounds like you have to sand them back, then repaint.
    Honda Accord Euro CU2 / Lexus IS-F

im planning to sand back down my spray can job .. hopefully i can get my old polish lip back ! i highly doubt it .. wat a waste

Member Array
    Car:
    Eva
    I reckon you should just get them resprayed, could look really nice!

Maybe a brighter silver, almost into a white with a silver pearl. Would look hot in my opinion, especially on a black car.
    CL9 Euro Luxury

Toda - 127kW | Wakefield - 1:19.1 | WSID - 15.4

QUALITY K-SERIES AND CL9 EURO PARTS FOR SALE

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro Luxury
    just got the wheels, doesn't look like they sprayed too thick of a coat on there cause where the wheel balancing weights were its all alloy and where it merges into the black it doesn't look to thick.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    '05 Accord Euro Lux
    Turps is good at getting some paints off, but it's probably more suited to getting off overspray rather than stripping back.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro Luxury
    Quote Originally Posted by integral90 View Post
    I reckon you should just get them resprayed, could look really nice!

Maybe a brighter silver, almost into a white with a silver pearl. Would look hot in my opinion, especially on a black car.
    lol a respray, how much will that cost?