Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ECU for D16Y4

ECU for D16Y4

hey guys .ive got a 1998 prefacelift ek sedan with a d16y4 in it. i was looking around for different tuning methods for my car. im pretty much going to be tuning up the basic i/h/e mods. so my question is what is a decent ecu that would do this for me. ive been looking at apexi vafc or whatever variants are around( i know its not an ecu) and greddy emanage blue and some hondata stuff. also ive seen some debate over what the stock ecu is in the ek civic as in obd1 or obd2 etc

any help or opinions will be greatly appreciated
    Last edited by saikou27; 20-04-2009 at 06:22 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    doorstop
    OBD2

if your not willing to open up the motor & poor bucket loads of cash into it or boost it,then a D16 in a EK is never gonna put a smile on your face no matter how many things u bolt to it or how close to the edge u tune it.

keep saving your pennies for a swap or snail,avoid ultimate disappointment

thanks for clearing that obd issue up crxer. i must make it clear though that ive already decided to tune my car and what i need is opinions on different ecu's. im not here to debate how good a d16 is and whether it should be tuned or not. and what puts a smile on your face could be far different to what puts one on mine. i am not asking about turbo's or engine swaps and i definitely will not be suffering ultimate disappointment when i get my car tuned because im not aiming for 'tuning on the edge' for 120kw atw

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 Civic
    your not aiming for 120wkw? what is your goal then? do you want a nice reliable motor thats a little more responsive than stock?

There's a few options you have mate

EK1 > OBD1 conversion harness from Edge Automotive, with a chipped OBD1 ECU from an EG, itll have to be a non-vtec ecu though. chipping an OBD1 ecu lets you modify & alter fuel & ignition maps, etc.

A'Pexi AFC Neo. these only alter the fueling (pls correct if wrong), so if you go this route, you'll only be fiddling with fuel, & ignition will still be stock as a rock. they call it an AFC hack for a reason.

Hondata S300. most expensive out of the above 2, but imo worth the money...

I have a Y4 build list somewhere, i was going to do, but as my goals are a little different now, im planning to swap in a B18B2 from an integra gsi. nothing over the top, i wanna stay non-vtec & have a nice build for the B18B...

Member Array
    Car:
    doorstop
    sorry dude,not trying to antagonise,but u asked for opinions & mine is that id rather see u get some value for your money.

The 1-2K your gonna spend is really going to see very little benefit over the stock ecu. The stock honda ecu is no dud product.

u could prob put a B16 in the EK for prob 4-5k & realise an instant 30-35kW peak gain. Thats huge considering the 2-3kW gain u'll get with tuning the D16.

so u see what im saying,keep the money u got,double it up or a bit more with what ever method u choose & im sure u will be happier with a more powerful,more reliable motor with much more potential.

remember,just my opinion & im entitled to it

Member Array
    Car:
    bb6 Type S
    ^^dude your not gonna get only 2-3kw from a tune, and in terms of bang for your buck, tuning is at the top.

an exhaust system and tune will yield respectable gains for a d16 and I'm sure it'll make saikou happy

and it most certainly wont cost 1-2k to tune his car. He'll probably be looking at an interceptor unit or something simple like an AFC Neo which have proven to give decent gains across the rev range. i have a greddy e-manage(with the ignition and injector harnesses) i picked for 400 bucks and itll cost me around another 300 to install and tune it.

Even Hondata's can be installed and tuned for around 1200-1300 and theyre top of the line (and not really worth it on a D series).

after all saikou is only on his P's

hey thanks VTECnique. i had that idea in my head for a while about swapping to a b18b2 from an integra. but like rbk_212 said, im on my p's so engine swap and turbo is outa the question anyway. all i need now is something thats going to be a nice, responsive, fun car to drive for the next couple of years and im happy with my civic atm. but were always wanting a little more right im really leaning toward the greddy emanage that rbk has

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 Civic
    if you can find a nice priced emanage, go for it mate. here's a few mods i can suggest, to compliment the emanage. & yes, i have done my research on a nice little d16.

bored throttle body with port matched intake manifold
    bisimoto stage 1 cam (cause then you wont have to upgrade valvetrain)
    if you wanna do some bottom end work, there's oem honda pistons that raise compression, & also wont cost you an arm & a leg.

there just a few things that can help make the y4 a little more responsive. hope it helps in your quest my friend...

Member Array
    Car:
    doorstop
    Quote Originally Posted by rbk_212 View Post
    ^^dude your not gonna get only 2-3kw from a tune, and in terms of bang for your buck, tuning is at the top.

an exhaust system and tune will yield respectable gains for a d16 and I'm sure it'll make saikou happy

and it most certainly wont cost 1-2k to tune his car. He'll probably be looking at an interceptor unit or something simple like an AFC Neo which have proven to give decent gains across the rev range. i have a greddy e-manage(with the ignition and injector harnesses) i picked for 400 bucks and itll cost me around another 300 to install and tune it.

Even Hondata's can be installed and tuned for around 1200-1300 and theyre top of the line (and not really worth it on a D series).

after all saikou is only on his P's
    man......

u r quoting used emanage figures & $300 worth of install & tune aint gonna buy much more than a copied base setting from another d16. good luck with that.

so all up uve given me a figure of $700(almost 1K) for the cheapest option.

hondata into OBD2 is gonna set u back considerably more than 1200-1300,especially if again u just dont want a half tweaked base map loaded onto it.

dont be disappointed also by the 20kW u dont gain from the tune(unless u go to AK motorworks for tune of course),expect like i said a few kW's in certain areas.i dare u to run it before & after down the quarter mile than come back & talk to me about your gains.

so bang for buck,
    tune = about $300/kW
    b16 swap = about $150/kW
    go figure............

Member Array
    Car:
    bb6 Type S
    Quote Originally Posted by CRXer View Post
    man......

u r quoting used emanage figures & $300 worth of install & tune aint gonna buy much more than a copied base setting from another d16. good luck with that.

so all up uve given me a figure of $700(almost 1K) for the cheapest option.

hondata into OBD2 is gonna set u back considerably more than 1200-1300,especially if again u just dont want a half tweaked base map loaded onto it.

dont be disappointed also by the 20kW u dont gain from the tune(unless u go to AK motorworks for tune of course),expect like i said a few kW's in certain areas.i dare u to run it before & after down the quarter mile than come back & talk to me about your gains.

so bang for buck,
    tune = about $300/kW
    b16 swap = about $150/kW
    go figure............
    dude what the hell, the e-manage tuning figure was from AK motorworks himself and the Hondata tune and install(and ecu changeover) was from a Daniel Pirotta at Springy Motors, whom i know personally is a very good tuner

in neither of those instances will a tweaked base map be installed, theyll be properly dyno tuned

and again with the B swap... have you read none of this thread?

Member Array
    Car:
    doorstop
    Quote Originally Posted by rbk_212 View Post
    dude what the hell, the e-manage tuning figure was from AK motorworks himself and the Hondata tune and install(and ecu changeover) was from a Daniel Pirotta at Springy Motors, whom i know personally is a very good tuner

in neither of those instances will a tweaked base map be installed, theyll be properly dyno tuned

and again with the B swap... have you read none of this thread?
    ahhahahha..........how did i guess........another AK brainwash experiment.......

will he sprinkle extra fairy dust on his magic dyno for yours?

as for the b swap,u r the one who mentioned,i quote,"bang for buck,tuning is at the top"........just trying to unwash ur brain a little.......

Member Array
    Car:
    bb6 Type S
    Quote Originally Posted by CRXer View Post
    ahhahahha..........how did i guess........another AK brainwash experiment.......

will he sprinkle extra fairy dust on his magic dyno for yours?

as for the b swap,u r the one who mentioned,i quote,"bang for buck,tuning is at the top"........just trying to unwash ur brain a little.......
    hmm okay heinrich himmler good work on the brainwashing...

care to explain what your problem with AK is, who's your tuner?

and my point with the B swap was that
    a)its not an option for him
    b)its his first car he just wants to get a little bit more out of it until he gets another car.

i realise that a B is better than working on a D but doing your little cost per kw equations means squat, the simple fact is an engine swap is going to cost thousands of dollars more compared to getting his current engine tuned, even if its only with an AFC or something