Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro Luxury 2003

Installing an Xcarlink with Bluetooth in to an Accord Euro '03 Luxury

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Aim: To install an Xcarlink with Bluetooth module in an Accord Euro '03 Luxury
    Required: Xcarlink with Bluetooth module, screwdriver, heat resistent double sided tape, zip ties, isopropyl alcohol
    Recommended: Torch, Super extension claw and magnetic pickup (handy for retrieving dropped screws)
    Steps:

1. Open the ash tray, and remove the gear stick trim by prying the trim from the edge against the ash tray as marked by the arrows in the picture

2. Disconnect the seat heating switches as marked (if you have them) and put the gear stick trim to one side

3. Remove the ash tray insert by pulling on the silver component (comes out very easily)

4. Remove the screws from the ash tray then remove the ash tray by pulling it out, gently releasing the clips

5. With the ash tray and gear stick trim, you’ll be able to remove the screws holding the storage pocket (I already removed the screws before taking the photo – and ignore the crazy red cable, that’s from another modification)

6. Place both hands inside the storage pocket and push on the side walls outwards and then pull the pocket forward until it clicks

7. After you hear it click out of place, close the door on the pocket, and then gently remove the pocket by pulling it forward towards you (careful it doesn’t scratch anything on the way out, and it might need some wiggling to get it clear – you’ll also need to move the gear stick out of the way)

8. Remove the two screws on the brackets underneath the stereo (these are important, so don’t forget to put them back afterwards)

9. Remove the dash piece above the stereo, by releasing the clips and pulling the dash trim forward (there are three clips as marked and they can be released by placing a screw driver in the small slit next to the air vents; be careful not to damage the surrounding panels like I did)

10. Three screws will be revealed above the stereo face which need to be removed

11. Remove the floor side panel next to the stereo on the driver’s side and feed the Xcarlink stereo plug in to the centre compartment, pulling it up towards the auxiliary plug on the stereo as shown (notice there is a screw clip and a screw – I removed these before taking the photo)

12. With the two screws removed in step 7, you will be able to slide the stereo forward, and tuck the Xcarlink cable behind (on top of) the bracket, plug the Xcarlink plug in to the auxiliary port and then slide the stereo back again (this stops the cable interfering with the movement of the storage pocket underneath the stereo)

13. Fix the Xcarlink module to the side wall on the driver’s side(next to the foot rest) using strong, heat resistant double sided sticky tape – Use alcohol wipes to clean the surface before using the double sided sticky tape, and then tuck the cables behind the panels neatly

14. Remove the two screws on the panel under the steering wheel , and unclip the panel as shown
    15. Use a zip tie to fasten the microphone cable to the Xcarlink cable, running the microphone cable under the Bluetooth unit so that both cables are pointing in the same direction

16. Use strong double sided sticky tape to fix the Bluetooth module to the right of the steering wheel as shown, and ensure that the Bluetooth unit is close enough to the steering wheel to conceal the cables neatly – Again, use alcohol wipes to clean the surface before using the double sided sticky tape

17. Run the cables along the steering column back behind the under panel, and then bring the cables under the steering column using zip ties as shown

18. Plug the Bluetooth module cable in to the Xcarlink module, and fasten the cable to the existing OEM cable (not sure what it’s for, but it follows a similar path) as shown

19. Remove the panel around the corner of the air conditioning vent by unfastening the clips to reveal the steel frame behind it (you need to have the door open to see it)

20. Run the microphone through one of the holes in the steel frame to keep the cable out of the way as shown (don’t pull it too tight, I just used it to keep it the same height as the steering wheel)

21. Bring the microphone down to the first available entry point to the rubber door trim as shown

22. Conceal the microphone cable under the rubber door trim and slip the piece of plastic to hold the microphone in place under the rubber trim as well

23. Reinstall all panels and screws, being careful not to miss anything, especially the screws removed in step 7 (these stop the heavy stereo unit from smashing through the dash in the event of an accident, which could kill or seriously injure someone)
    Last edited by matm; 26-04-2009 at 05:38 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro
    Goodwork buddy

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    If you look inside the air vent on the left and right side, there are 2 small slots for you to put your flat head screwdriver in and then use as leverage to pull the vent trim out. This way, you won't damage the soft vinyl trim like you did.

Also, you don't need to pull the stereo unit forward to tuck the wiring behind. If you look at the cavity after you remove the center compartment, there is like a pocket cavity on each side of the center compartment. In mine, I have wound about 3 meters worth of wiring and just tucked it in side. There is a 4cm long lip along the edge which stops the wiring from getting in the path of the center compartment and lid.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro Luxury 2003
    Yep, I damaged my vinyl months ago when I was repairing my unit (the LCD display died), and found out about the slots afterwards.

That's a handy tip about tucking the wiring away, I'll have to pull that compartment out and have another look, thanks!

Member Array
    Car:
    AP1 s2000
    this is AWESOME!

can i ask which xcarlink/bluetooth product(s) you used, and whether it'll work for the iphone?

i am TOTALLY doing this. thanks for the awesome write up!

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro Luxury 2003
    I bought mine from www.xcarlink.co.uk, because the Australian site wasn't working when I was buying.

The iPhone has Bluetooth, so I see no reason why it wouldn't work using that instead of plugging in, but not sure if it also supports wired connection (the unit does have a USB port). The only benefit there would be charging, if it supports powered USB.

xcarlink is just an ipod interface?

Member Array
    Car:
    AP1 s2000
    Quote Originally Posted by Bludger View Post
    xcarlink is just an ipod interface?
    yep. there's also a usb interface kit.

Member Array
    Car:
    AP1 s2000
    i've got a question for you matm,

does the bluetooth module only work when the headunit is set to "aux"?

what happens when you're listening to FM and a call comes through to your phone; does the bluetooth work in this scenario - can you simply press 'mode' on the steering wheel to switch to aux so it works?

Member Array
    Car:
    Euro & CRV
    Thanks for the info