Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    eg4

ek centre console into an eg

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

EK centre console into EG

.:1st DIY thread:.

After looking at the crazy prices the eg centre console (at least 200au) goes for i decided to look up on alternatives.
    Turns out an ek console can be put into an eg with some modding, but hasnt been well documented. i decided to check it out and do it myself.
    Getting the ek console to fit flush is all about chopping away at the plastic a little and measuring it up in the car to see how it fits.
    If you're going to follow this make sure you don't end up cutting too much off else you're going to have random gaps.

things needed:

• an ek centre console (40bux from hondwrecks)

• stanley knife

• pair of pliers that work like a nail clipper or even a pair of garden scissors

• screwdriver

• sandpaper to smooth down cut plastic and give a clean finish

here's what i did:

Outlined in red are the plastics i shaved off to make it line up

i then drilled 2 holes on each side and joined it up with the remaining eg part. the legs on the metal frame also had to be chopped off for
    the 2 plastics to sit nicely. the frame it still secured by the eg plastic but

the din slot was an issue as more room was needed behind, so the metal brackets were taken off, and i measured up the extra space for the din slot to fit

you can see here now there's more room at the back (added the non-slip material also :P)

note: the console hasnt been pressed up flush in this pic. console was just pulled back a bit so the camera flash could get a good image of behind the din.

Results (finally installed and interior cleaned up)

Before and After

ANOTHER DIN SLOT! many ideas come to mind

The pics should pretty much explain everything. i know people have gone on about how the ek centre console wont match up nicely and isnt secure.
    i guess its down to how precise you want the pieces to line up. It took some effort to get it all lined up flush and secure. screwing the plastics together made it firm and isn't going to budge if its accidently kicked or knocked.

now theres something filling up the original empty space where you can actually put things elsewhere instead of the passenger seat

100% satisfied with this DIY. if you aren't willing to put down 200au (up to 300au on ebay) or so on the eg6 centre console you may consider doing this.

================================================== ================================================== ==========================
    Added close ups and measurements:

cigarette lighter panel measurements (give or take a few mm)

side shots

and the measurements. gap is around 2cm.

Last edited by cnez; 01-05-2009 at 11:58 AM.

OH GEEEE UR ONE SMART BLOKE!

+1 rep

Member Array
    Car:
    Rachel & Renee
    epic.
    Coup De Grace / Rachel

Built by Backyard Performance
    JDMyard / Autobarn Bankstown / Accurate Brake and Clutch Lidcombe / Performance Exhaust Northmead

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Jazz R
    love your work mate

+1 rep
    ALLIGATORS GOT A GATE

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Panda EG/CRV
    Great DIY - would you be able to post up some closer shots of the sides? id like to know how much of a gap there is. Thanks.

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM EG Built B16a2 Turbo
    That is leet dude...Great work. out of the box thinking.

I think it looks better than the eg6 console. That upgrade would look great on all black interior.

deff might do this myself.
    Fastfwd Photoshoot cover pic Click here!

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM EG Built B16a2 Turbo
    Could you take some more pics of the clearances to the floor and around the cigarette lighter area?
    Fastfwd Photoshoot cover pic Click here!

Member Array
    Car:
    eg4
    yep i'll chuck up more pics. i'll take em tmr when i get time.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EKI>EG4>DC2>EM1
    that is nuts! ur a legend..

Newcomer Array
    Wow, very nice and cheap
    great work!

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EGG
    nice job mate
    i got that done to mine eg to awhile back wen i first got it looks heaps better the the original eg console good work!

Member Array
    Car:
    Holden IntegraL
    can you still use the ashtray?