Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    VTi-R Prelude
    As soon as I can put it on the dyno I will post up the results and let them speak for themselves

Member Array
    Car:
    bb6 Type S
    yeah your speaking as if youve had all these headers and your saying the one you bought matched them, you cant know for sure

the runner diametres, collector flow designs, bend angles, primary and secondary lengths and head plate port matching are all integral parts of an extractors performance and replicas just dont replicate those sorts of details
    As i said looking the same is not being the same.

however i say once more, if you say theyve given good gains and you didnt pay alot for them thats great, and its good youve posted this too share your experience with people

Member Array
    Car:
    VTi-R Prelude
    This is THE Randy Monroe design for the H22. It's not just a design that's sorta similar that someone has made by looking at pictures.

It's the exact same design.

Randy Monroe most probably sold the design and now it is able to be mass produced and sold for less, not unlike any of the other ebay specials that are floating around for the B series engines, which also include the Hytech and SMSP design. It was only a matter of time until there was one for the H22a prelude.

And if you're still not convinced that they can be as good as the real deal, just check out ZeForce's B20 VTEC Build thread and look at the header he was using NA and the power he was able to make.

Member Array
    Car:
    bb6 Type S
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukather View Post
    This is THE Randy Monroe design for the H22. It's not just a design that's sorta similar that someone has made by looking at pictures.

It's the exact same design.

Randy Monroe most probably sold the design and now it is able to be mass produced and sold for less, not unlike any of the other ebay specials that are floating around for the B series engines, which also include the Hytech and SMSP design. It was only a matter of time until there was one for the H22a prelude.

And if you're still not convinced that they can be as good as the real deal, just check out ZeForce's B20 VTEC Build thread and look at the header he was using NA and the power he was able to make.
    oh in that case why didnt you meantion it sooner!

like you said i thought this was a regular replica that jsut looks the same, in that case

you=1 SMSP=0

i have custom built extractors that have the same tri y designand im also very happy with them
    Last edited by rbk_212; 12-05-2009 at 07:44 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    XR6 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by rbk_212 View Post
    oh in that case why didnt you meantion it sooner!

like you said i thought this was a regular replica that jsut looks the same, in that case

you=1 SMSP=0

i have custom built extractors that have the same tri y designand im also very happy with them
    From what I can see from the picture those merges arent anywhere near as good as the ones on the header used by lukather and also doesnt have the stepped primaries which are good for preventing reversion.

B20VTEC Build Thread

Member Array
    Car:
    bb6 Type S
    and where did i say mine where better than his? i was merely sharing my own experience

the merges are well constructed, i watched them being made. They were made long and free of sharp angles to smooth out flow and produce strong torque over a broad rpm (as it is a street car). . They also have quite a long collector which is also good for midrange, although you cant see that in the picture. I do concede they arent a stepped design but not many headers are (which is a bonus for lukather). Also they werent built by a machine so it looks scrappier than it really is as its not polished or anything.

i also paid alot less than lukather so for what i got im happy
    Last edited by rbk_212; 12-05-2009 at 11:20 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda CRX Del Sol 1993
    Quote Originally Posted by rbk_212 View Post
    yeah your speaking as if youve had all these headers and your saying the one you bought matched them, you cant know for sure

the runner diametres, collector flow designs, bend angles, primary and secondary lengths and head plate port matching are all integral parts of an extractors performance and replicas just dont replicate those sorts of details
    As i said looking the same is not being the same.

however i say once more, if you say theyve given good gains and you didnt pay alot for them thats great, and its good youve posted this too share your experience with people

How many headers have you had in your prelude?
    im my experience ive ridden in a few preludes from Si H23a to VtiR with H22a2 and H22a4 and by far Lukathers H22a2 has quite amount of power gain from other preludes ive been in.

in addition to your quote about branded orginal goods, i wonder why you ended up getting a custom manifold when you could have purchased a branded header

further more if you say your header has all the gains you state u should post a dyno read out here to and well do a comparason

Member Array
    Car:
    bb6 Type S
    Quote Originally Posted by MrKaji View Post
    How many headers have you had in your prelude?
    im my experience ive ridden in a few preludes from Si H23a to VtiR with H22a2 and H22a4 and by far Lukathers H22a2 has quite amount of power gain from other preludes ive been in.

in addition to your quote about branded orginal goods, i wonder why you ended up getting a custom manifold when you could have purchased a branded header

further more if you say your header has all the gains you state u should post a dyno read out here to and well do a comparason
    your exactly right my friend, but again i didnt mean to imply that my set up was better than his. Like i said for what i paid im happy with what i got.
    all i was saying is that replicas are rarely as good as the real thing, but if this has worked for him thats great and i think its fantastic that this product is accessible to everyone.

as for opting for custom i went with the intention of getting xforce but a supplier mix up meant i ended up going custom (which also meant i could specify how i wanted them built for my application). i didn't have the funds for going a big brand like SMSP however much i'd have liked too!

even though this replica is cheap by comparison to the real thing, its still relatively expensive. maybe in the future when i get around to doing some head work ill swap to a better extractor, maybe even the one lukathers using!

as for the dyno comparison, ill get a read out when the car gets tuned, which wouldnt give an accurate depiction of the gains of the header, especially if other modifications have been undertaken. Unfortunately the only conclusive dyno comparisons are when 2 products are tested on the same day, at the same dyno, on the same car.
    having said that im still interested to see the dyno print out of lukathers car

dyno for one car with one header, and comparing to a different car with different header is useless.

In summary you cannot expect the header bought off ebay to match one from Hytech or SMSP. Its how the item buyer evaluates how much they are prepared to cost vs gain. You are more likely to get basic modifiers who will settle for somethign generic and then you get people who highly modify their car who want something for their setup for maximum effect.
    --------------------------------------

NA all the way, turbos are ghey.

Member Array
    Car:
    VTi-R Prelude
    Quote Originally Posted by 94vtirozguy View Post
    dyno for one car with one header, and comparing to a different car with different header is useless.

In summary you cannot expect the header bought off ebay to match one from Hytech or SMSP. Its how the item buyer evaluates how much they are prepared to cost vs gain. You are more likely to get basic modifiers who will settle for somethign generic and then you get people who highly modify their car who want something for their setup for maximum effect.
    I beg to differ. I would expect that my ebay header will match or atleast come extremely close to the gains of a Hytech or SMSP. I dont believe that cost is proportional to gain, and that you have spend spend more dollars to get more gains. You just have to be thorough in your research and smart with your spending.

As I've said before, if you don't believe that this sort of stuff is as good as the real deal as gives good gains, look at ZeForce's B20 build thread.

Here are the results of this header.
    Car: Mine, duh
    Mods: eBay CAI w/ K&N, Carsound universal high-flow cat, custom 2.5" crush-bent exhaust, OBX muffler (2.5" In/Dual 3.0" Out)
    Temp: 66ºF
    Hum: 6%

Thread: http://www.preludepower.com/forums/s...d.php?t=313773

This is the same header as what Lukather has in prelude... alot of the guys on preludepower.com are running this header with great results and no problems so far.. I for one have spent alot of money on my genuine Mugen header and the power gains were no where near what i would have wanted for the amount of money i spent.

Lukather just a question: how is the fitment of the header you bought? did you have to notch abit of your crossmember? a few guys in the states needed to notch their crossmember for it to fit.
    Last edited by NeRV; 13-05-2009 at 04:02 PM.