Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

D17 head conversion to VTEC

hello all,

i was wondering if anyone had undergone this process on their 01 - 05 civic sedans as our models don't come with vtec standard, and only the hatchback seems to have received the vtec engine. i've read a fair few posts on the US forums in regards to this mod, and most of them state that it only requires the D17A2 vtec head, as well as the gasket and either a VAFC2 to bypass our standard ECU and control the VTEC or get myself the Vi hatchback ECU - which will require honda to reset/flash it to be able to restart the car? also, will the VAFC2 computer make adjustments to the rev limit of an auto transmission, since VTEC engines can rev a bit higher (my redline is at 6500) than non-vtec and with my car not being manual would this make the mod all the more difficult? i'm not sure what the redline on a Vi hatchback is, whether it is the same or a bit higher than the sedan. it seems like its not such a major mod, and was wondering if anyone has considered or have already done this to their sedan? i know most people will tell me to sell my car and go buy a car with vtec already but i'd like to be somewhat original in aus and i'm too attached to my lil civic to let it go :P any information/feedback would be appreciated.

cheers
    d e e p S i x [d6]™

Member Array
    Car:
    your mum
    the civic Vi vtec isnt "real" vtec. its sohc vtec, just like the older EK civic vti sedans.
    overseas they have done K series conversions, B series conversions to the 7th gen civic, but will cost more to convert on the 7th gen than older civics.

can i ask what the difference between SOHC vtec and DOHC vtec, besides the fact that DOHC vtec pulls harder? cheers. is this mod not worth doing? i figured it would give me a bit more power/torque without spending over 10k to drop a K20 into it or running boost.
    d e e p S i x [d6]™

not really an apples to apples comparison, but my 1.6L sohc vtec ej8 was pretty much on par with a 1.5L sohc eg gli.

Member Array
    Car:
    your mum
    basically dohc has vtec on both intake and exhaust side where as sohc only has on the intake side. although there is a slight kw increase between sohc vtec and non-vtec its not worth the hassle. I was going through the same dilemma when I had my 7th gen sedan, I ended up selling cuz k-series/b series was too exp and turbo was not an option and I bought an EK.

Member Array
    Car:
    ES1 Turbo, EK1
    ive been down this road b4 i went turbo tony it doesnt work even if its the same motor they have their differences and they dont match up. the only 1 that would work r the 1s from the states and i dont think its worth importing a d series head.

be unique like me and go turbo

i had a look, and i found that i can get a d17a2 vtec head imported from the states for about $500AUD? from there, i would need the vtec controller and a head gasket. is the vtec head of the Vi model different to the GLi head? it is not a perfect fit? its weird how they made things different here in aus in comparison to those found in the states. i just can't afford to spend the amount of money you spent for the boost in your car, and wanted a cheaper alternative in exchange for a bit of added power. so it can't be done? or it can be done but not worth the hassle? no one's ever done it before here?
    d e e p S i x [d6]™

Member Array
    Car:
    ES1 Turbo, EK1
    u still nee to pay postage????

i still reckon its not worth what u pay for ull prob gain like 10kw, if that. save ur money tony and buy coilovers

thats including postage!! hehe. well, i was hoping to probably do it around end of year to early next year, but if its you're that sure its not that great an upgrade i might give it a miss. ill do a little more research and see how it goes.
    d e e p S i x [d6]™

Lol, all that time effort and money for a meagre <10kw..
    I own a Vi and trust me mate, nothing special about the vtec. If anything it helps me save fuel. My mate owns an ES and he gets about 450 from a tank, wheras my lil Vi gives me appx 650 on prem unleaded.. 630 on regular. Mind you our tank size is about 5-10L difference.

Save your money to get a better car, or like riced said, turbo it up

I ended up selling the ES and got an EU! Goes better than the ES and better with fuel economy too! Hehe. I think I'll stick with NA, seems to be easier.
    d e e p S i x [d6]™

Nice what colour mate? and what mod's u done to it?

The only thing i HATE about this car is the lack of center console