Member Array
    Car:
    2007 Euro/2008 Civic

Cost of having a supplementary maintenance service?

Hi, just had my 12 month service today. Because my car had less than 12,000kms on it the dealer did a supplementary maintenace service on the car, not the recommended 20,000km service. This service is recognised as an official service because the book gets stamped under the supplementary maintenance service section.

Just wondering what people out there have been charged for this service?

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic Type R
    Quote Originally Posted by unity View Post
    Hi, just had my 12 month service today. Because my car had less than 12,000kms on it the dealer did a supplementary maintenace service on the car, not the recommended 20,000km service.
    Not sure why they would do that -- The Service Manual clearly states:

"12 months or 20,000km (whichever occurs first)."

Good way to make sure you pay for an "extra" service, maybe -- or if you had your car serviced at New World Honda in Berwick it could just be the result of their general incompetence. Never ever go there, by the way.

Just wondering what people out there have been charged for this service?
    I had my 12 Month/20,000km service a few months back (13,000km done at the time) and Ringwood Honda did the full service on it -- And they stamped my 12 Month/20k page.

My service cost a smidgen under $300 which included an additional $36 labour for my requested gearbox oil change but did not include any charges regarding the pollen filter as the dealer recommended I replace it next time due to the low mileage. I'm pretty sure Ringwood isn't one of the cheapest dealers for servicing, but after dealing with shoddy dealers I do believe you get what you pay for.

I'm not sure my pricing information is any help but I'd be interested in knowing what the dealer charged you for the "Supplementary Maintenance," and what was actually done for the price.

In any case, if I was you I'd be going back to the dealer and giving the service manager a pretty stern please explain and if they changed the oil and filter(s), getting them to fill in/stamp the 12 month/20,000km page.
    Last edited by moons; 19-06-2009 at 09:07 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    2007 Euro/2008 Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by moons View Post
    Not sure why they would do that -- The Service Manual clearly states:

"12 months or 20,000km (whichever occurs first)."

Good way to make sure you pay for an "extra" service, maybe -- or if you had your car serviced at New World Honda in Berwick it could just be the result of their general incompetence. Never ever go there, by the way.

I had my 12 Month/20,000km service a few months back (13,000km done at the time) and Ringwood Honda did the full service on it -- And they stamped my 12 Month/20k page.

My service cost a smidgen under $300 which included an additional $36 labour for my requested gearbox oil change but did not include any charges regarding the pollen filter as the dealer recommended I replace it next time due to the low mileage. I'm pretty sure Ringwood isn't one of the cheapest dealers for servicing, but after dealing with shoddy dealers I do believe you get what you pay for.

I'm not sure my pricing information is any help but I'd be interested in knowing what the dealer charged you for the "Supplementary Maintenance," and what was actually done for the price.

In any case, if I was you I'd be going back to the dealer and giving the service manager a pretty stern please explain and if they changed the oil and filter(s), getting them to fill in/stamp the 12 month/20,000km page.
    They did what was described as a Honda 15,00K service. Looking at what was done it looks basically like they have done what is says for the 12M/20,000K service except that it doesn't say the tyres have been rotated and the pollen filter was not changed.

The dealer stated there was no point carrying out certain maintenace if the vehicle has low kms.

In the book it states: " Honda Motor Company recommends vehicle servicing every 6 months or 10,000 km (which ever comes first). Vehicles travelling less than 10,000 km in 6 months therefore be returned to a Honda dealer who will ensure the engine receives an oil replacement. More importantly, that all safety items such as tyres and brakes are checked, to ensure your safety and vehicle reliability)

Based on this statement I am more than happy to not to carry out any extra servicing that is not really required. I have been assured that everything that has do be done to the car has been done.

The service cost me $144.40. My wife used to go to Ringwood previously with her old Civic and it's true that they don't charge lighlty.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    06 Civic Vti
    Agree with unity above.

I too had a '15k' service done instead of the full 30k as I had only done around 4000-5000km's since its last service.

Then they just pick up where they left off, so I had a 30k service last time.

From memory cost about the same ~$150.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic Type R
    Quote Originally Posted by unity View Post
    They did what was described as a Honda 15,00K service. Looking at what was done it looks basically like they have done what is says for the 12M/20,000K service except that it doesn't say the tyres have been rotated and the pollen filter was not changed.
    Yeah. I guess its a matter of opinion. I would have asked them to rotate the tires and just call it a 20,000km service. Looking through the manual the servicing isn't actually that extensive anyway. Usually just oil and filters.

Member Array
    Car:
    2007 Euro/2008 Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by moons View Post
    Yeah. I guess its a matter of opinion. I would have asked them to rotate the tires and just call it a 20,000km service. Looking through the manual the servicing isn't actually that extensive anyway. Usually just oil and filters.
    I don't know if there is a right or wrong here. But as long as I bring the car in every 6 months my warranty will be honoured.
    I honestly believe the dealer is being honest here and saving me unneccessary costs. I respect that from a dealer.
    Last edited by unity; 20-06-2009 at 02:48 PM.