Question Advice buying 8th Gen Civic with missed services

Hello all,

I am new to this forum and interested in buying an 8th gen Civic as a family car. I have seen one I like at a good price from a dealer but after looking at the history it has missed services.

I assume that the Civic has to be serviced every 6 months or 10K (what ever sooner).

This car has 30,000km and 2 years old, it has only been serviced after the first year at 17,000km.

• Do you think that I should not touch this car with a barge pole

• or as Honda is a very reliable car, this should not cause any long term problems and by offering $2000-$3000 less, if there are any problems in the future (the next 5 years I will keep it), this will cover it?

I assume that the remaining one year new car warrenty will not apply as it was not serviced at the correct interval.

Also does anyone know anywhere online that shows what is required to be done on each service for 8th Gen Civic.

Thanks very much

Matt

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic FD1, Impreza, GE6
    services was meant to be done at 20, 30, 40, and so on....
    20 and 30K service is just for oil change
    40K service is oil change and tappet adjustment
    and thats it

Member Array
    Car:
    bmw
    there is a service at 1000(free) and 10000 remember.($200ish)

my 10000 was only a oil change and oil filter cos i asked.. havent reached any other number yet.

personally i wouldnt purchase a second hand car which hasnt been serviced by a registered dealership of (that car make) on the dot all the time every time. but then again ive never bought a 2nd hand car lol. up to you i suppose.

just gotta remember engine oil makes or breaks the engine... litterally. if he was running low engine oil for those 7000km's which were unaccounted for then the internals of that engine may be bust sooner then you'd expect. and warranty wont look after you in that regards as the servicing wasnt done correctly.

Thanks for your replies so far.

Yep, suppose it is a risk but for our approx $20,000 budget, this allows us to get a 2 year old VTI-L rather than a standard VTI.

The Hondas really hold there value that is good. A 2 year old Mitsubishi Lancer (new model) are going for 15,000K.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic FD1, Impreza, GE6
    It is a big bet if u think about it. I'd stay away from it. 2000 savings in nothing in comparison to what ull get in the future (problems)

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    8th Gen Civic Vti
    I dont know what your worried about. Its first few services are only an oil and filter change and seriously, provided its not some young guy who has raped the car every minute he drives it, you are highly unlikely to have any problems with it.

The current model Civic isnt known for using oil so its highly unlikely it has run out of oil either.

A test drive will tell you more than this website will as we cant see or personally inspect the car

Moderator - here to help Array
    i would ask the dealer (honda or not) to service the car with no extra charge to me and i would buy it.