Member Array
    Car:
    Public Transport / Foot

Coolant change / flush the correct method Euro CL9.

Hey guys just want to confirm and pls correct me if im wrong
    Make sure your car is at cool temp and basically open the radiator cap and the coolant bottle

1. drain the coolant out from the radiator (the tap just underneath the car)
    2. flush it with running water
    3. make sure you close the coolant tap afterwards .
    4. make sure the a/c temp is on the red mark (heater)
    5. refill it with new coolant put the coolant on max in the coolant expansion bottle.
    6. and fill up the radiator with coolant Honda spec / Correct spec for the Euro.
    7. open the radiator cap let the engine breath + coolant bottle and start up the car and let it run for couple of minutes.
    8. top it up if necessary. n close the rad cap
    9. Done
    Last edited by felixd; 15-07-2009 at 11:35 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    GE8
    IMO no is flush required, CL9 is such a new car.
    Tap water is no good for radiator.
    The only water allowed is the distilled water.

I would drain all coolant, and put new coolant back in.
    A little bit of old coolant can do no harm.

Member Array
    Car:
    2007 Euro/2008 Civic
    Coolant Replacement

1. Start the engine. Set the heater temperature control dial to maximum heat, or climate control system to HI, then turn off the ignition switch. Make sure the engine and radiator are cool to the touch.
    2. Remove the radiator cap.
    3. Loosen the drain plug and drain the coolant.
    4. After the coolant has drained, tighten the radiator drain plug.
    5. Remove, drain and reinstall the reverse tank.
    6. Fill the reserve tank to the MAX mark with genuine Honda Coolant
    7. Pour genuine Honda Coolant into the radiator up to the base of the filler neck.
    8. Install the radiator cap loosely.
    9. Start the engine, and let it run until it warms up (the radiator fan comes on at least twice).
    10. Turn off the engine. Check the level in the radiator and add genuine Honda Coolant if needed.
    11. Put the radiator cap on tightly, then run the engine again and check for leaks.

What would actually happen if you didn't follow the above procedure step by step ie if you set the climate control to LOW instead of HI?
    Last edited by unity; 15-07-2009 at 01:08 PM.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2001 DC5 Integra
    Hey,
    you doný need to use distilled water, i'm a mechanic and trust me it doesn't make a difference. I also own a spare parts wholesaling business and my suppliers have told me its a gimmic to make money and makes no differnce.

Member Array
    Car:
    Choo Choo shoe.
    Distilled water only applies to the battery.

To flush, using any type of water is the same.
    You just cant have ONLY water in there. Some people run only water, in areas that never reach below 0degrees or if the car gets alot of highway driving, water is sufficient.
    Old coolant causes corrosion in the system.

Just flush it out that tap.
    Undo the tap. Run water thru the radiator until you see clear water run out the bottom of the radiator.
    Wait for it to stop. Then put the plug bak in
    Top up the system thru the radiator until it reaches the top.
    Im not sure of the procedure with the euros. But with the b-series engines, you just run the engine with the radiator cap OFF, and let the coolant bleed thru the system.
    The level will drop as the fan cuts in. Let the fan cut in twice. And top it up as the level drops. Let the fan cut in the third time just to be sure the system is bled properly.

Im sure overflow type systems wont have bleeder nipples. But if it does itll be on the thermo housing and one of the heater hoses.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic 08 Vti-L
    in the manual it says to use some honda branded coolant 50% antifreeze and 50% something else mix...otherwise it will cause corrosion?