Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No coolant

No coolant

Just found out my car's running on no coolant at all, the coolant bottle was filled with dirt & dead bugs.. and I've just serviced my car 2 weeks ago..

I know Honda service isn't responsible for coolant top up, shouldn't they at least check fluid levels as indicated by their service manual?

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Looks like your block might have the dreaded hairline crack which leaks coolant. Get the car to the dealer ASAP for warranty repair.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    integra ls
    if your car had no coolant whatsoever, it would overheat in a very very short period of time - read a few minutes.

if you mean that your overflow bottle is empty, thats not a big deal, just fill it to the line and off you go.

but yes, if your dealer serviced it they shouldve checked this. have a look at your service receipt to see if they claim to have done so.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_will View Post
    if your car had no coolant whatsoever, it would overheat in a very very short period of time - read a few minutes.

if you mean that your overflow bottle is empty, thats not a big deal, just fill it to the line and off you go.

but yes, if your dealer serviced it they shouldve checked this. have a look at your service receipt to see if they claim to have done so.
    It could have been full 2 weeks ago and developed the crack recently which lead to the loss of coolant. http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113861

hmm ok.. honda dealer, here I come.. again. so much trouble with this car..

so what exactly happens when you get a hairline head gasket/block crack?

will a compression/radiator pressure test pick it up?

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by migoreng View Post
    so what exactly happens when you get a hairline head gasket/block crack?

will a compression/radiator pressure test pick it up?
    THe coolant leaks out when you drive the car.

Radiator pressure test won't pick it up unless you are doing it above the thermostat opening temperature.

is it best if I don't drive it around at the moment? or it doesn't matter, i've added pure water as it is winter now so boiling isn't my concern..

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by edmbranch View Post
    is it best if I don't drive it around at the moment? or it doesn't matter, i've added pure water as it is winter now so boiling isn't my concern..
    Don't drive it around until you can get it to the dealer. When you say pure water, do you mean reverse osmosis or distilled water? Tap water is not pure water. ESPECIALLY if you are living in melbourne. Your water has colloidal silica in it and will damage your water pump.

distilled from kmart auto's.. for coolant only.. always had it in the car as back up

feels like crapping my pants, but here's an update:

I haven't noticed any coolant dripping in my garage nor engine temp rising above optimal in the past 2 weeks, so I'm guessing the block's not having any cracks, hopefully not anyway.

Service receipt did mention all fluids are checked. But, you can't check the levels of the coolant bottle unless you take it out, cause the FD2's engine bay's fairly cramped.

I only found out I have no coolant when I was replacing my parker lights.
    Still doesn't explain how dirt/fungus or moss looking things/dead little bugs manage to get in there..

Anyhow, needs to be brought in to dealer's, that'd be the best solution for now, thanks Aarong
    Last edited by edmbranch; 17-07-2009 at 09:46 PM.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic FD2
    make a big complaint to them.. ask for some compensate or maybe some free service vouchers? or discount on parts.. =)

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by edmbranch View Post
    distilled from kmart auto's.. for coolant only.. always had it in the car as back up

feels like crapping my pants, but here's an update:

I haven't noticed any coolant dripping in my garage nor engine temp rising above optimal in the past 2 weeks, so I'm guessing the block's not having any cracks, hopefully not anyway.

Service receipt did mention all fluids are checked. But, you can't check the levels of the coolant bottle unless you take it out, cause the FD2's engine bay's fairly cramped.

I only found out I have no coolant when I was replacing my parker lights.
    Still doesn't explain how dirt/fungus or moss looking things/dead little bugs manage to get in there..

Anyhow, needs to be brought in to dealer's, that'd be the best solution for now, thanks Aarong
    The distilled water is fine. Call up the dealer and tell them that you just serviced 2 weeks ago and today there is no coolant. You need to get this covered under warranty.