Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC5 ITR; Celica SSII

Durability of K20A- DC5R

guys.... need feed back on the durability of Dc5R engine, the K20A2....

is it okay if we perform high RPM driving... everyday? well we got no speed limit in here.... so i always engage the I-VTEC whenever i can.... is it safe for the engine to be tortured at high rpm driving?

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC5 ITR; Celica SSII
    BTW, mine is 2002 DC5R wih 22,000km on the clock.....

other quest: Honda K20A vs Toyota's 2ZZ-GE engine, which one is superior (cos my Celica have 85,000km on the clock and still no problem till now, hitting 'LIFT' everyday (or equivalent to I-VTEC in Honda)

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    MV Agusta F4
    The motor will be fine, thats what it was built for. You can also look at cooling mods like oil cooler etc to prolong life even more.

Maintanance is the key. With regular servicing, oil changes etc, it will last a very long time.
    Deano.

Member Array
    Car:
    MPS 3
    ive had both engines corolla 2zzge and a ep3 k20a both happy reving engines!

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC5 ITR; Celica SSII
    Good to hear that!!!

with Honda K20A.... when are we supposed to check the valve clearance?

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5, EF8, EF2
    I believe that Honda checked my valve clearance at 80,000km but the recommended interval seems to vary. USDM kids don't seem to do it very often.

K20s are quite durable. I have around 130,000kms on mine (in a DC5R) and I have owned it since new and maintained it reasonably well. 2000+ track kms and it thrives on it. Burns some oil but it always has. No cooling or reliability mods of any sort except a baffled sump that I only acquired recently.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC5 ITR; Celica SSII
    oh okay.... yeah just found out that valve clearance supposed to be done at 110,000 miles (in the US), so it might be around 150,000km...

so far i am very happy with the DC5R..... unlike my Celica with noisy intake cam.....