Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Key cutting

Key cutting

hey dudes when i bought my car it only came with 2 black keys and no red key. I have since lost one of the black keys and only have one left. So i need another one.

I read somewhere that some places can just copy my black key and program it for me without the red key. Is this true? Anyone know of a place where i can get it done?

in Sydney btw. Thanks.

car is a EM1 btw.
    Last edited by wasabi; 04-08-2009 at 02:07 AM.

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    Hi

EM1 does not use the RED key system.

you can get a key from a Honda dealer or from a locksmith.

the advantage of getting a key from a honda dealer is they will unprogram any lost keys, so they will no longer start the car

a locksmith will copy your exsisting key pattern and code, and the lost key can still start the car.

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1 -> DC2R
    about how much is the honda dealer way? And I think theres an ebay guy atm which i'm gonna try and get mine done from, hes in kensington. still waiting on his reply.

theres a lock smith on the cabramatta east side, near the pharmacy that can give u an aftermarket key cut and programmed. or he can cut and program an original key if u want

Quote Originally Posted by RtN View Post
    about how much is the honda dealer way? And I think theres an ebay guy atm which i'm gonna try and get mine done from, hes in kensington. still waiting on his reply.

hey i saw the ebay listing. I'll prob do it there too. Has he told you a price or if the key suits our model civic?

Member Array
    Car:
    murcielago
    for a honda civic eg, it doesnt need to be programmed right? just cut?

i locked my key in my car the other day, sucked hard cause i didnt have a spare key.
    EG5 Powered by DR HONDA
    Tune By: Scott @ Insight Motorsport

QSR Customs

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1 -> DC2R
    yeh $50 and yes suits our ones according to him LOL.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1,4,9
    i got mine done through hanny's, they have a locksmith guy come out n do it. Cost me $90
    BTW mine was for an EK
    Last edited by LiL FiLo; 04-08-2009 at 11:34 PM. Reason: add more
    HORSEPOWER is how hard you hit the wall.
    TORQUE is how far you go through it!

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Door EK GLi
    Does anyone know if general key-cutting places like in mall's can cut honda keys? I have a key for a da9.. took it to one place said they couldn't do it.. don't wanna be paying for a locksmith :S

cheeers

Member Array
    Car:
    EGSi,DC2R,ED9
    Quote Originally Posted by ECU-MAN View Post
    Hi

EM1 does not use the RED key system.

you can get a key from a Honda dealer or from a locksmith.

the advantage of getting a key from a honda dealer is they will unprogram any lost keys, so they will no longer start the car

a locksmith will copy your exsisting key pattern and code, and the lost key can still start the car.
    Oh I c, is it cos it's an america built civic coupe ECU-MAN?

Reason for asking is that a fren has an EJ8 with a worn lock barrel and I just bought a used EM1 lock barrel from a member here, and wondering what to do next ie get locksmith to code the "new" key to match the car's existing immobilser or get around the immboilser but sticking the old key head on the steering area if coding is too hard.

I asked her to look for the red key and she wasnt sure when car was delivered new had the red key or not.

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    its not because its USDM, its because its OBDIIb, ej8 is OBDIIa and uses the red key system

if you put in the EM1 ignition lock you will have to program the keys into your immo system and ECU. and with out a red key honda cant do it without selling you a new immo set. I dont know if a lock smith can do that programming either. ( if you get stuck I can help you ). look for an immo control unit on the under dash cover ( drivers side ) . Its a black box with two connectors going to it.
    Last edited by ECU-MAN; 05-08-2009 at 08:55 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    EGSi,DC2R,ED9
    that's right em1 the later 2b system...

I'll enquire at a locksmith to see if they can code the lock barrel mechanically to take the old key by taking the barrel apart and save coding electronically.

Asked a mechanic fren who works at Honda, he said with red key car needs their scan tool to code key and what they charge wont be cheap either.

Thanks ECU-MAN!