72 39.34%
  • EG6

91 49.73%
  • other i.e. engine swap

20 10.93%
Page 1 of 18 123411 ... LastLast

EF9 vs EG6 what would you buy?

Hey guys,

I've been out of the Honda scene for a year or so now since my beloved EF9 pretty much died on me. I spent a small fortune fixing the car which was a leaking dyke and eventually the gearbox seized and I gave up. I think I sold the 'wreck' to some guy on here.

I swore I'd never buy another old civc cause my euro's that i've owned never cost me a cent in maintenance and are obviously more luxurious and prestigious.

My current car is a Golf GTI that is extremely comfortable and quick 190Kw/400Nm of Torque. Unfortunately I have no love for it and can't deny my love for Honda anymore!

I miss not being able to see out of the window on cold mornings and having to wear multiple jackets to fend off frost bite, I miss the paint tearing off my side mirrors at car washes, I miss the fact that noone except me could open the boot using the key or find reverse gear, I miss the insane noise at 8000+ RPM in the Burnley tunnel, I miss the handling and the character that made me smile so much driving it.

My soul was in that car and I loved it more than my BMW's or GTI's!

I'm looking for either an EF9 or EG6. I prefer the EF9 but god it was hard to find parts. Are there any reputable places to get it serviced and source parts etc? If I got one, I'd want to spend the money up front and make the engine bulletproof?

I don't know much about EG6 so hoping you guys could give me any info on your ownership experience. The car will prob do at least 6 track days a year and get pushed pretty hard on the track.

What would you buy based on stuff like:
    - price
    - reliability
    - character
    - handling
    - power
    - parts
    - insurance
    - modification

Thanks for any help

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    make a poll!!! hehe

how you gonna get ef9 or eg6?
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM EG Built B16a2 Turbo
    IMHO eg6 but both of those cars will be really hard to find at a good price.

EG6 is ftw.

-price they will be both fairly expensive for there ages. But EG will be a little more
    -Reliability EG6 as it will be newer but both rare cars soo it will be hard to find one with high k's
    -character both have equal amounts ooozing out of them.
    -handling EG wins over EF forsure
    -power EG wins over EF again
    -Parts Eg will be easier
    -insurance will be around the same for both
    -mods EG will be easier as parts will be easier to source but both cars can be modified at anyway needed really. Can put pretty much any honda motor in any honda these days with conversion kits.
    Fastfwd Photoshoot cover pic Click here!

Member Array
    Car:
    90 ef8 crx
    is that ed with b18cr still for sale? id buy that over either

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM EG Built B16a2 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by shitbox View Post
    is that ed with b18cr still for sale? id buy that over either
    He came from a 190KW golf which is more than enough power which he could of continued to mod if he was a HP junky but its obvious he wants a nice car. You could have said "Buy SuperR's 350kw type R" aswell but hes looking for specific cars.

Quote Originally Posted by mocchi View Post
    make a poll!!! hehe

how you gonna get ef9 or eg6?
    Can I add a pole after I've already started the thread?

Well I'm not in a rush cause I won't be selling the GTI so I can wait a few months till something comes available...fingers crossed!

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    i dont think anyone would be selling theirs for a long time hehe.. not meaning to put you down.

i wish i got money to go holiday in japan for 1 year.
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Quote Originally Posted by FastFwd View Post
    He came from a 190KW golf which is more than enough power which he could of continued to mod if he was a HP junky but its obvious he wants a nice car. You could have said "Buy SuperR's 350kw type R" aswell but hes looking for specific cars.
    You're right. my friend has a 250KW GTI, not my thing.

I'm into lightweight, low torque, high power/displacement ratio. Cars with character that are nimble and I just happen to like hatchbacks.

I've never driven an EG6 but my friend had an EG that had engine transplant putting down a lot more power than stock EG6. Was lots of fun but impossible for me to make a comparison judgement to EG6 without driving one.

Quote Originally Posted by mocchi View Post
    i dont think anyone would be selling theirs for a long time hehe.. not meaning to put you down.

i wish i got money to go holiday in japan for 1 year.
    haha yeah living in Japan for a year is something I plan in a few years...import a Mines GTR R35 mmmm

My friend has an EF9 who I could probably convince to sell to me. It's not my preferred colour (black) but hey beggers can't be choosers!

FastFwd does make a compelling case for EG6 though

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM EG Built B16a2 Turbo
    But man really if you want just buy a cheap cheap EG or EF doesnt have to be eg6 or ef9 can be other cheaper models which are much easier to find...and then slam in the engine you want.

If you can find a blow motor'ed EG or EF that would be the best. Get it for like 1-5k depending on the car and then spend 6-8k on a motor...K20-k24/B series Turbo...with mods you'll be looking at alot of power and MASSIVE torque to be geting into the 12's EASY.

But then again man theres alot more to an EG6 than an normal EG...interior, suspension, theres alot of cool differences and i bet with the ef9 it would be the same. So its upto your weather u want an EG or and EF body...or ur actually looking for a better quality car in the higher models like the EG6 compared to the run of the mill eg4 etc.

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    i think just like how he's not after raw power, owning a genuine eg6/ef9 is what ticks the clock. but im not him. hehe
    S P A M | W O R K S

Member Array
    Car:
    91 ED9 CRX
    EF9 over EG6 anyday