Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a

Thumbs up Calibrating the Voltage on the TPS

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Any additional/relevant information gained from this thread has been added to the first 2 posts.So all the info you need is in the first 2 posts.No need to look through the thread for any additional information.

Aim:

To calibrate the voltage on the TPS Sensor,a sensor on the throttle body that tells the ECU where the throttle is positioned.Over time the Tps goes out of calibration and your car's performance suffers greatly for it.

I was VERY impressed with the difference this made to my car.It increased throttle response,smoothly revving across the whole rev range and makes for a far enjoyable car to drive.

If your car is around the 8 year old mark,you should DEFINATELY do this IF you want better performance from your car and offcoarse,who dosen't?!

Again,I can't emphasize how effective this is,a must do!

Combined with modifying ya stock TB,your car won't be the same and you'll NEVER wanna go back to stock again!

So do em' both eh!

Modifying the stock TB for more airflow

EK1 Civic has just done this,this is what he said after it:

Quote Originally Posted by EK1 Civic View Post
    The car runs so different now, i have to use the pedal less, the responce is amazing, even when i put the foot down it goes even harder then before. I tested going up a hill to see for improvement, basically went in gear 3, 42kms at about 1700 revs and it held it the whole time without having to push the pedal any further. Feels like my lil civic has been reborned. Amazing DIY props to u beeza
    THE TPS IS OVERLOOKED OR SHOULD I SAY NOT UNDERSTOOD BUT THE TPS HOLDS GREAT BENEFITS WHEN CALIBRATED.

Required:

Hacksaw
    Suburu Upper Engine Cleaner/Super Engine Conditioner
    Screwdrivers
    2 screws 16mm x 5mm Metric thread with a dome head
    2 pins
    Multimeter
    Allen Key (maybe needed for the Throttle stop screw)
    Small socket and ratchet

This can be performed by yourself,without help,no problem.

This is being done on a d16y4.

The screws you need are 16mm long and 5mm wide,metric thread,with a dome head.Definately both d and b series engines use this screw.

16x5 Metric thread with a dome head:

Steps:

Remove the Throttle body -

4 bolts
    3 sensors that just unplug (TPS,Map and IACV)
    2 coolant hoses on the bottom,unclip the metal clamp and pull the hose off.A little coolant will run out,perfectly fine.If you don't want to loose the coolant,plug the hoses up.
    Accelerator cable (and gearbox cable if an automatic)

Give it a clean:

If your tps is riveted on,U can hacksaw them off,dont need a grinder OR U can cut a line/groove down the middle for the screwdriver then remove it and re-use it:

Use a screwdriver to tap the thread left in there out:

There She blows!

The Tps gasket is torn but it wont matter at all,so I will re-use it:

Now,clean the whole Throttle body up,I only use Suburu Upper engine cleaner to clean with now OR another product which I reckon is subi upper engine cleaner in another bottle is 'Engine conditioner',it's a Japanese product,i.e Japanese writing on the bottle and it's brilliant.Carby cleaner is crap.

Map Sensor:

Intake Air Control Valve (IACV),Clean that up real good!

Let it all dry out:

Time to get them screws!

IMPORTANT: When U put it back together,make sure that little plastic doova on the tps goes between those 2 metal bits.

Put it all back together:

Next,is to adjust the throttle cable..This is done by undoing these 2 nuts and tensioning the cable:

At Closed Throttle (CT) the cable needs to be firm but not tight.At Wide Open Throttle (WOT) when the pedal hits the floor should be the same time as the Throttle body Wide Open Throttle stop (WOT) is contacted,therefore there is no significant load on the cable nor the WOT stop:

The WOT stop varies in design but the exact same principle.I know on the b18c it's on the bottom.

The easiest way to achieve this is to put your foot to the floor (WOT) and check the above.If there is a gap,the cable needs to be tensioned to close the gap.If the TB WOT stop is contacted before the pedal hits the floor,you need to loosen the cable off a bit.

Here's a VIDEO of the end result.A nice firm cable.When the accelerator pedal makes contact with the floor,is the same time the TB WOT stop is contacted,Beautiful!:

OK.Now the fun part.On the TPS sensor,there are 3 wires - Yellow,red and green (all with a black stripe)

Red is Positive and Green is Negative.

I inserted the pin through the wire but I have learnt that the better way to save damaging the wire is to stick the pin up into the plug where the wire connects to the plug,as so:

Last edited by beeza; 05-03-2012 at 08:07 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Now,turn the car keys turned to the second click,so the lights on the dash come on.Then perform these tasks -

Set your multi meter to volts.We are looking for a range of 0-5 Volts,so the 20V setting is best:

Positive probe to positive wire and negative probe to negative wire:

Note: You can wedge the probes under something to stay on the pins,without the need to hold them.This will allow you to do this by your self.

THESE VOLTAGES ARE THE SAME FOR ALL HONDA'S

0.48V @ CT (Closed Throttle)

4.5V @ WOT (Wide Open Throttle)

Now,hold the Throttle plate at WOT:

And turn the TPS until you get 4.5V on the multi meter:

Then tighten it back down:

Re-check the setting haven't changed after tightening the TPS.

After you have done that,check the voltage at CT (Closed Throttle).This is where the TS screw (Throttle stop) will need to be adjusted to set the CT Voltage.

If you have a value greater than 0.48V,you will need to wind the TS screw out to open/increase the voltage range.If it's less,wind it in/up to close the gap/range.

Throttle Stop screw on the d16y4,from behind:

Adjust it like this with an Allen key:

Under here:

Firstly you will need to undo the nut on there to be able to turn the screw.Make sure the nut is tightened up when you set the values.

Undo/tighten the TS screw until you get a 0.48V Value for CT.

TIP: When you tighten the nut up with the ratchet,the voltage will increase slightly by 0.01V-0.02V.So,adjust the TS screw with the allen key to 0.46V-0.47V value and tighten the nut up good with your ratchet.This way you will get the required 0.48V and a tight nut on the TS screw!

Now,re-check the WOT value.I bet it has moved? It maybe at 4.52 for example.So CT is at 0.48 and WOT at 4.52,so the range is 0.02 too much.So we need to close the range in by 0.02.Do this via the TS screw.Turn it up to 0.50.Then set WOT again at 4.5V by turning the TPS until you see this value,tighten it back down.CT should now be 0.48V and WOT at 4.5V.

VIDEO:

This is the final result,a perfectly set up accelerator pedal and Throttle body,performing at it's best!

You can hear CT and WOT stop's being contacted.The pedal feels perfect.At the same time the pedal is contacting with the floor,the WOT stop is being contacted on the Throttle body.At CT there is no significant 'load' on the pedal but there is tension in the cable,keeping the pedal firm with no free play.Perfect.

Between the TS screw,moving the TPS and the tensioning the accelerator cable and a bit of patience,this can be achieved.

Note: If your car is an automatic and you cant get both value's,your gearbox cable maybe too tight and restricting movement,like mine was.I could get 0.48V but Wide Open Throttle was 4.33V.I loosened off the gearbox cable and I could get 0.48V and 4.5V easily.The cable was restricting movement.

You will need to loosen off the cable to free up some movement,it's the same set up as the accelerator cable:

If your automatic 'kicks' into gear,like too much then your gearbox cable is too tight,Loosen it off.

Also,be wary your carpet under the accelerator pedal may be restricting the pedal and may need to be removed like mine did to get a better pedal.

If U get WOT,4.5V and can only get say 0.52V for CT.This means U need to increase the range at which the throttle plate moves by 0.04V.To do this U can simply file a small amount off the throttle rotor,like this:

Then set the WOT again first,then the CT,done!

After your done,set the idle via the idle air adjust screw.

Make sure the car is fully warmed up and simply turn the screw until the idle is where you want it.For a manual car,set the idle when the car is in neutral and for a automatic car,set the idle with the car in 'D'.It's 'D' that you will be sitting in at lights,so that's where you want to set it,not Park,'P'.

When you reset the ECU it will even the idle out.

Now we need to check that the values are the same at the ECU end.This will ensure the wires are fine and the ECU is seeing the same readings.

Remove the kick panel at the passengers feet to expose the ECU and wiring,1 clip and a bolt (How cool is the big march fly in the shot!):

Don't stab and ruin the wires like I did,stick the pins up into the connector,like this:

Closed Throttle:

Wide Open Throttle (WOT):

Also:

* Probe the Yellow and green wires to verify that you have 5v going to the TPS.

* Check the reading starts at 0.48V and smoothly increase to 4.5V,showing you have nice smooth throttle increase/decrease coming from the TPS to the ECU.This will verify the wiring between the TPS and ECU is fine.

VIDEO:

After you have completed that Reset the ECU and bleed the air from your coolant lines.This can be done by parking your car on a hill so that the engine is the high point,this will allow the air to escape easier.Start the car up,pop the hood and undo the radiator cap,take it right off so you can watch the air escaping.Just let it idle for a few minutes (at least the fan comes on twice).Give the coolant hoses a squeeze to help the air escape.

Your car will run better with no air in the coolant system.

NOTE: If U experience a high idle that goes up to 2,000rpm and then drops off and keeps repeating this (as discussed on page 8),chances are the Throttle plate is a bit open and needs closing.First try screwing in the idle/air screw on the top,if that dosen't do the job,probably won't,you will need to screw the TS screw out to close the throttle plate.The CT voltage will read 0.44V or so when the idle stabilizes but don't worry it shouldn't affect the performance of the car as I am learning).

IF the idle persists to be erratic,i.e. quite bad then look to fix the problem via the FITV - You-Have-Cleaned-the-IACV-BUT-Your-Idle-Is-Still-High-Erratic-Adjust-The-FITV.

Here is another GREAT DIY U can do aswell! Modifying-the-stock-Throttle-body-for-more-air-flow

Enjoyz!

Still doubt how effective this is?

This is quoted from JohnL our very own resident Suspension Expert! (Taken from this thread):

Quote Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
    Yes it has definitely helped, the engine is significantly more 'drivable' now.Less clutch slippage is now needed on take off and some hills that used to need a downshift or largish throttle opening can now be driven up on a light throttle with no downshift. Downshift 'blips' are definitely more consistent / predictable with noticeably faster rpm rise.

I've been meaning to check this for ages, but since the engine was running acceptably I kept forgetting about it. I'm a bit surprised how much difference there is between 0.44v and 0.48v...
    I can tell you that 0.04v below 0.48v is significant.
    This seems most noticable when taking off from rest, appearing to require less clutch slippage with the engine feeling more 'muscular' at low rpm / light throttle opening. There also seems to be some improvement to throttle response when 'blipping' for 'rev matching' on downshift.
    It's worked beyond expectations with my engine.
    And....wait for it....

If the TPS CT voltage is off spec then the light throttle / low rpm torque will be adversely affected and the engine will be lacking in immediate response to lighter throttle inputs (and you spend 99% of the time at light throttle openings). This adversely affects the driveabilty of the car, and probably fuel economy as well.

Lack of low rpm torque is especially noticeable when taking off from rest, requiring more care / skill with balancing of the throttle input and clutch slippage because the engine is in greater danger of stalling.

You might think that if light throttle torque is poor then why not just open the throttle more, but this doesn't really work so well for 'normal' driving (you can get the same affect, but the engine feels like it's working a lot harder to achieve it). Having the TPS correctly calibrated can make the car much nicer to drive, particularly in traffic / around town.
    I set CT to 0.51V and WOT at 4.53V for a week then put it back to 0.48 - BIG DIFFERENCE!

For Everything that I have ever learnt about Cars/honda's,this is by far the most important and effective.I wish everyone had this done already.Our Honda's would be tearing up the planet!

So skip the Hot chicks thread tonight for a change,read this a few times,get confident with it and....DO IT!

Last edited by beeza; 27-09-2010 at 12:40 PM.

Nice

Always wondered how this is done

Just wondering if the values are the same with all honda engines? B16, B18 etc

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Thanks mate.I'm pretty sure they are but I will need to check with the teach first (CRXer ).

Member Array
    Car:
    doorstop
    gee,i dont know beez,

its generally about the 0.5V closed>>>> 4.5V WOT range.
    be good idea to consult the service manual for your particular motor u want to "calibrate"
    i just use a data-logger & even if it was outta spec it can be just re-calibrated in the software,so no idea about voltage values beez,sorry,not even for my own tps lol.

im surprised the Y4 uses those values & it wasnt like totally reversed or something,in keeping with the rest of its design principles.
    best to get an obd2 scanner(if your on obd2 of course) that gives sensor readings & calibrate it with that to see if ecu is indeed reading 0% > 100% throttle.

but if u can find the factory voltage figures for your tps then u should be fine.

if your having tps problems,good thing to check first is that your getting a good 5V reference volatge from the ecu across the yellow & green wires at the tps plug.
    then go onto check the signal voltage back to the ecu across the red & green wires.

that idle valve beez,got any pics of the other bit that attaches to it?
    is it a 3 wire plug that attaches?
    must be one of those stepper types.

btw "calibrate" all your "corobarilaratededserers"

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    That word owns me!!

Cheers mate! I was gonna add the 5V reading but kept it simple,I understand you need to check it though and will add it in.

I'll get a pic of the sensor up on tuesday.

Thanks Teach!

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    It was only 1 calibrate incorrectly spelt

btw did you like the Big March Fly in the shot hahahahaaa

Member Array
    Car:
    doorstop
    the fly is fly,he's like totally flyin....spin out...

▼▼▼ tags? ▼▼▼

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    make sure you use soft jaws when putting the TB in a vice.

Nice DIY Beeza

Member Array
    Car:
    ek1 mother****er
    so why is doing this so great, and what does it do??

im gonna do it when i get some carby cleaner.

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Quote Originally Posted by CRXer View Post
    the fly is fly,he's like totally flyin....spin out...

▼▼▼ tags? ▼▼▼
    True true

Quote Originally Posted by ECU-MAN View Post
    make sure you use soft jaws when putting the TB in a vice.

Nice DIY Beeza
    Cheers John!

Will add to thread

Quote Originally Posted by redefine View Post
    so why is doing this so great, and what does it do??

im gonna do it when i get some carby cleaner.
    Taken from 1st post:

"I was very impressed with the difference this made to my car.More responsive accross the whole rev range,smooth revving and makes for a far enjoyable car to drive.
    I have been meaning to do this DIY for a while cause it made such a nice difference to my car's acceleration
    If your car is 10 years old,you should definately do this if you want better performance."

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Quote Originally Posted by CRXer View Post
    that idle valve beez,got any pics of the other bit that attaches to it?
    is it a 3 wire plug that attaches?
    must be one of those stepper types.
    Yo Jase!