Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Vibe-S & EG9

KAAZ lsd versus Quaife ATB differential?

G'day,

Looking for advice on LSDs.....

I considering fitting one to my B16A2 powered EG. At the moment the two options are a KAAZ 1.5way mechanical LSD or the Quaife ATB differential. Has anyone had any experience with either of these? Which ones are best for what applications? Are there other options? Currently the car is used for sprints and hillclimbs, occasional street use, potentially a tarmac rally event such as Targa Tas could be on the cards in the future depending on $$$....

I want to make the right choice first up as it's not what I would call a cheap part!

Member Array
    Car:
    XR6 Turbo
    Im using an OBX LSD and it works great, it is pretty much a copy of the quaife unit

B20VTEC Build Thread

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    07 civic type r
    I fitted KAAZ lsd's to both the front & rear of my STI for motorsport use & found them excellent. You should adjust the lash nice & tight prior to install & need to run it in once installed. There is the odd bit of clattering but i can highly recomend KAAZ.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img134.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	118.1 KB 
ID:	12098  

I am using Kaaz 1.5 way in my b18c setup in my EM1. feels great on the track and at speed around a corner. but is a bit noisy and clunky at low speeds = Driving around a carpark is lol but yes, very worth it. I have never been in a car with the quaife unit though, so can't compare.
    WINTON PB: 1:36.30
    WAKEFIELD PB: 1:07.59
    Supported by: Hybrid Racing + Hardrace Australia
    MSC Performance FTW

Member Array
    Car:
    ES1 Turbo, EK1
    ^^^^ lol a bit

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5, EF8, EF2
    The obvious differences between the two LSD types should make your decision for you.

Do you want minimal maintenance at the expense of performance? If so then the Quaife is for you. The Quaife will not work at all once you lift one of the front wheels, and will also have no effect under decelleration.

If however you are willing to accept significantly higher maintenance and a shorter services life, in exchange for a more positive locking effect, then perhaps the Kaaz is for you. I can't comment on the relative merits of different clutch style LSDs though.

I personally have the OEM DC5R LSD (similar style of LSD to the Quaife) in my car and I wouldn't want to be without it, so I would suggest that even the Quaife will be a significant upgrade that you will be happy with.

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    CT9A
    I prefer the clutch type LSD's.

Member Array
    Car:
    Vibe-S & EG9
    Thanks all for your input!

I think when I eventually get around to fitting one it'll be a clutch type despite the compromises.

This car of mine is slowly becoming more and more of a track car and less of the practical road car it used to be but then I guess that's what public transport is for

Member Array
    Car:
    delsol crx
    Why dont you check out the MFactory selection.... They have both the Helical type and clutch type lsds... tTey are also very competitive in pricing compared to other brands of lsds... I am currently runnin the Mfactory helical lsd... No regrets at all what a beautiful piece of machinery it is.. works wonders especially when you come from Open diff (single wheeler)

I cant comment on lsd's in comparison though as i have never used any other brand/type for hondas..

The quaife warranty also applies to your car even if you use it at the track which other companies simply do not provide warranty for.

Kaaz is noisy as hell (people look at you like your stupid driving around with somethign that sounds broken), Quaife is silent.

Kaaz needs to be maintained (extra cost over long term), Quaife is a sealed unit (install and forget and once off cost).

Just depends what you want from your LSD.
    --------------------------------------

NA all the way, turbos are ghey.

Quote Originally Posted by 94vtirozguy View Post
    The quaife warranty also applies to your car even if you use it at the track which other companies simply do not provide warranty for.
    That is not true - You need to read the Quaife Terms & Conditions properly before giving misleading info.

Taken from Quaife's Terms & Conditions

"R.T. QUAIFE ENGINEERING LTD (“Quaife”) warrants each new Quaife Automatic Torque Biasing (ATB) differential both purchased and used anywhere in the World outside the United States of America (including its territories and dependencies), Canada or Mexico, against defects in manufacture, material and workmanship, when used in the vehicle application for which it was originally designed and specified, under any and all operating conditions, including racing, for as long as the original purchaser owns the differential."

So the warranty is only on defects in manufacture, material and workmanship - which the user will have to proof - it certainly does not cover damage through racing, abuse. This type of cover is pretty much standard amongst all manufacturers.

"4) which is installed or used in any vehicle or manner for which it is not specified by Quaife; or"

"5.1.1 In relation to Goods supplied for use in competition, trialing or other motorsports applications (“competition”), such use is acknowledged by every Buyer as being experimental in nature as such use may involve exceptional and unpredictable loadings. Buyer accepts that Buyer will be solely responsible for ensuring safe use of the Goods in the application intended by Buyer."

"5.1.3 If Buyer is a consumer Seller hereby excludes all liability to Buyer except in relation to death or personal injury caused or contributed to by the negligent act or omission of Seller. "

If the vehicle is used in a manner it was not specifically designed, warranty is excluded, i.e. Racing, Rally, Time trials, speed, competition...

"Limitation of Liability
    Save in the event of death or personal injury caused to any person a national or resident of a member state of the European Union by any negligent act or omission of Quaife, Quaife excludes to the fullest extent permitted by law any liability to the purchaser of an ATB Differential or any person claiming through that purchaser and Quaife accepts no obligation to bear any labour costs or other costs of return, removal and/or installation and will not be liable for any special, incidental, or consequential damages, including loss of use of any vehicle. Each Purchaser acknowledges that motor racing is a dangerous sport and that he or she is responsible for taking and will take all necessary safety measures to minimise the risk of injury loss or damage arising from the use to which an ATB Differential is subjected "

Read the limitations - Motorsports is excluded.

MFactory also provides a limited warranty for all products to be free of defects in materials and workmanship upon receipt of product and initial installation.
    Last edited by e240; 02-10-2009 at 11:31 AM.
    MFactory Competition Products

Member Array
    Car:
    Ek honda civic hatch
    i guess there is a difference between having a warranty, and having a product that just wont break...

i have a quaife, when it was getting installed, the mechanic said i was going to hate it. then he drove it and couldnt hear it, then i drove it and didnt even notice there was a change in the diff during normal driving. but under power it now spins 2 wheels predictibly, so he was certainly surprised compared to other noisy mechanical diffs he had used.

when i was buying my diff, the shop i was getting it off suggested the wave trac diff, which is the same as a quaife but has wave shaped washers that preload the diff, which as someone earlier suggested was the quaifes down fall, putting power to the other wheel when one is in the air. apparantly the wave trac cures that. but i wanted to go for something tried and true, and proven, so i went for the quaife, even though they were the same price.

i also like the idea of it not wearing out, and being known as the best. so im not worried in the slightest of it breaking.

that being said i have no experience of any other type of diff on the market.