Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a

Thumbs up Bushes - Replaced the major ones!

My car is a 96EK1 Civic Sedan.

So this is replacing the 14 year old OEM bushes with Mugen bushes.

The pics are of the Left Hand Side bushes.Offcoasre I had both Left and Right hand side bushes replaced.

FRONT

Front Upper Control Arm:

Installed:

The difference?

Major.No longer does the car bottom out at the front over the same bumps/dips that it was before.Feels way more solid and after dropping into a dip in the road,it will rebound/recover FAR easier/smoother/nicer.BIG Improvement,very happy!

Front Lower Control Arm bushes:

You need a special tool to install these,I will have to get back to ya on this one!

REAR

I had 3 sets of bushes put in the rear:

Rear Trailing Arm bushes:

Installed:

Rear Upper Control Arm bushes:

Rear Compensator Arm bushes:

Installed:

Again a BIG difference at the rear.Solid,holds true through the big dipping/swooping corners (that I drive on everyday)

Where as before the chassis of the car would roll and a lot of the energy/force would be going 90 degrees to where your driving,NOW,chassis/body rolls is minimal,energy is conserved and driver experience has been increased by 30%

Old bushes decrease performance and most importantly takes away the all to important - Driver experience.

The car feels Brilliant

The rubber on the old bushes were old,worn and had deteriorated and torn in places

COST

* Mugen Rear Upper Control Arm Bushes $195
    * Mugen Rear Compensator Arm Bushes $135
    * Mugen Front Upper Control Arm Bushes $220
    * Mugen Front Lower Control Arm Bushes $125
    * Rear Trailing Arm bushes $195 (I Love U Speedy!)

Installation - $280 and took 5hrs.My main man needed to make up special tools to remove the old bushes.

Total - $1150,say $1200 once the Front Lower Control Arm bushes are in.

I will getting a wheel alignment ASAP too.It's needed.

Was it worth it?

O,HELL YES,ABSOLUTELY!!

Braking feels better,more confident,speed bumps are much easier to manage etc etc etc you feel the benefits all the time

I don't care about going fast,I care about 'Driver experience'
    Last edited by beeza; 27-07-2011 at 01:01 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    1994 EG4
    awesome! i'm looking to do this too, did you take the car into a shop or did you do it most yourself?

Oh man I am SO going to do this to my car when I have enough $$$. Where did you order your bushes from?

Where is the price of the RTA bushings in your cost list?
    DLUG Racing

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM EG Built B16a2 Turbo
    I just completed the following in ES last night:

Front Coil Spring Isolators
    Rear Coil Spring Isolators
    Tie Rod Dust Boots
    Front Sway Bar End Links
    MPR Lower control arms
    Whiteline Rear sway bar end links
    Skunk2 Front upper ball joint
    Front Shock Mount
    Shifter Stabilizer
    Skunk2 Rear Upper Control Arm
    Skunk2 front uppder control arm
    Steering Rack Bushings - Power Steering
    Front Control Arm Set
    Rear Control Arm Set
    Ball Joint Dust Boots
    Rear Trailing Arm Bushings
    Rear Compensator Arm Bushings
    Front Control Arm Bushings
    Front Sway Bar Bushings
    Steering Rack Bushings
    Ball Joint Dust Boots

All up costed me $430 from the US and i did it all at home in my workshop with a Jigsaw, small fire, bench vice, drill and whole saw.

I can put up pictures tomorrow to show my progress also if you like.
    Fastfwd Photoshoot cover pic Click here!

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    ^^ I was gonna put the ES kit in for ages but opted against it due to many on the net who say 'Way too much vibrations'

What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by ITRfaithful View Post
    awesome! i'm looking to do this too, did you take the car into a shop or did you do it most yourself?
    Cheers mate!

I took it too my muffler guy,he owned the fastest V8 in Aus for a while,so he knows his stuff

Unless you have the tools or the knowledge to make the tool needed AND are able to remove the suspension parts and put em back,'a real pain in the ass'

That was Geoff's words if I remember correctly That's why I gave him plenty of notice/warning that I was gonna dump this job on him hehehe

Don't bother by yourself.I tried but it ain't that easy.

Quote Originally Posted by dinorider View Post
    Oh man I am SO going to do this to my car when I have enough $$$. Where did you order your bushes from?
    Yonas,JDMYard,he has em' all!

Quote Originally Posted by SPEEDCORE View Post
    Where is the price of the RTA bushings in your cost list?
    I was working up to your post.I was looking forward to a - 'Well done beez! Great job mate!'

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM EG Built B16a2 Turbo
    well done beez great job mate

ummm well i like the rough feel, the raw feel of a car. Ive got G4's very tight susp, the ultra heavy duty frotn an rear sways, the polyurethane engine mounts. and now the full ES setup. My car does feel very very tight, dont know about vibrations but its very firm. Car feels like its held together tight, around corners and going over small holes in the road etc feels firm.

personally i dont have a problem with it, but for someone looking for a completely smooth ride then i would say ES is a 50/50 option.

Originally Posted by ITRfaithful View Post
    Very easy...as i said before all you need is a, tools to remove the parts, Jack, jack stands, wratchets, wrenches, socket sets etc and then to remove the OEM bushings u need Drill, whole saw for the drill bit, jiggsaw or large electric saw of some type, vice, hammer and a pare of hands.

Putting in the ES bushings is as simple as pushing them in or if a little tight using the vice...

Its not that hard of a job but its a bitch. its time consuming, took me almost 15 hours to complete it all.

Shops use hydrolic bench presses to remove the bushings which cuts half of the time down...even still it would be fairly annoying....

Glad i did it tho, got quoted 2500 for labour. me = Free

Member Array
    Car:
    Go Kart
    Great review. $1154 is a bit costly, but bushings need to be done eventually.

I got ES bushings for my shift linkage and they were pretty hard. Thats probably the cause of the vibrations, the hard compound isnt absorbing it as well as the soft OEM rubber.
    ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) Y U DO DIS

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Quote Originally Posted by FastFwd View Post
    well done beez great job mate

ummm well i like the rough feel, the raw feel of a car. Ive got G4's very tight susp, the ultra heavy duty frotn an rear sways, the polyurethane engine mounts. and now the full ES setup. My car does feel very very tight, dont know about vibrations but its very firm. Car feels like its held together tight, around corners and going over small holes in the road etc feels firm.

personally i dont have a problem with it, but for someone looking for a completely smooth ride then i would say ES is a 50/50 option.
    Hmmm HARD...I like a nice tight smooth ride

Very easy...as i said before all you need is a, tools to remove the parts, Jack, jack stands, wratchets, wrenches, socket sets etc and then to remove the OEM bushings u need Drill, whole saw for the drill bit, jiggsaw or large electric saw of some type, vice, hammer and a pare of hands.

Putting in the ES bushings is as simple as pushing them in or if a little tight using the vice...

Its not that hard of a job but its a bitch. its time consuming, took me almost 15 hours to complete it all.

Shops use hydrolic bench presses to remove the bushings which cuts half of the time down...even still it would be fairly annoying....

Glad i did it tho, got quoted 2500 for labour. me = Free
    Awesome Job!!

$2.5k for labour Here's the other leg,PULL IT!

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM EG Built B16a2 Turbo
    Yer ns told bs...

I do know places usually cost just over 1g just for installing. But honestly i got all of the bushings for $430. and thats the total cost of a completely bushing kit and installed if you do it yourself. Cant go wrong with that.

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Quote Originally Posted by flipfire View Post
    Great review. $1154 is a bit costly, but bushings need to be done eventually.

I got ES bushings for my shift linkage and they were pretty hard. Thats probably the cause of the vibrations, the hard compound isnt absorbing it as well as the soft OEM rubber.
    The cheapest you can do it is $1200 less the $280 install.So $920.

Yes,that's the cause of the vibrations,all too common a story on the net.

Many remove them cause they are sick of the vibrations.

Yer ns told bs...

I do know places usually cost just over 1g just for installing. But honestly i got all of the bushings for $430. and thats the total cost of a completely bushing kit and installed if you do it yourself. Cant go wrong with that.
    If you like your car hard/stiff and vibrating

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM EG Built B16a2 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by beeza View Post
    If you like your car hard/stiff and vibrating
    I dont get much vibrations....

just more of a solid ride.