Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Euro MY2010

CU2 Luxury Manual - Early Impressions

Had my car now for nearly 2 weeks (1200km) so thought I would share my initial impressions.

Firstly some background. This is my first Honda, and I am coming from a 2004 Holden Vectra CDXi Manual Hatch 3.2l V6 which was an outstanding car. When I purchased it back in 2004 I was tossing between the then Accord Euro Luxury but settled for the Vectra, which I think was the right choice at the time.

I had a bit of a dilemma choosing a vehicle to follow on from the Vectra. I was hoping that Holden may have imported its replacement, the Insignia, but that was not to be so after considerable research and some help from these pages, ultimately settled for the Accord Euro Luxury in Manual form. The car is August 2009 build and September 2009 compliance, black with rear lip spoiler, bluetooth, mudflaps and floor mats.

Having come from a V6 that had good power and torque, I was concerned that the Honda may have been a dramatic backward step in this department, but after 2 weeks I can confirm that this is NOT the case. The car in manual form is very responsive and great to drive – no complaints here. It does however sound like a four cylinder when it starts and reverse has a real whine to it – glad I only have a short driveway!

Fuel consumption around town has been around 8.4l/100km and on a recent trip 7.3l/100km. About the same as the Vectra on the highway, but much better around town.

I have spent some time finding a good driving position. Being able to store 2 positions in memory has been useful to save and reset seating positions whilst experimenting. Having settled on the driving position I like, I do find that I would prefer to be able to position the steering wheel further away (than maximum) and a little bit lower. A little bit lower is an option, but it blocks out the top of the instruments. I would bet almost all drivers have the steering wheel set at its furtherest away position so a little more adjustment here would have been nice.

The seats are very comfortable, more so than the Vectra and a trip to Melbourne over the weekend confirmed this.

The car is generally very quiet. I have found the Michelin tyres to be very noisy on some surfaces and very quiet on others. I would describe the ride as firm but excellent and handling is also very good. The steering however, is “imitation” European, not bad, much better than the Holden Epica I recently drove, but not as good as the Vectra. It seems firm but lacks feel/responsiveness at lower/mid speeds in the straight ahead.

Next headlights. Low beam is excellent with a very good spread across the road which is essential for country driving. High beam was a bit disappointing – would have preferred and bit more depth. I have found the AUTO headlights feature to be of little use – when driving at dusk/night they come on far too late to be of any use – this is a manual job in order to be legal. Also the cars manual talks about “one-push turn signal” for some models. I had this feature in the Vectra and it was great, particularly when changing lanes and roundabouts. Why is it not on the Honda? I now find myself having to often manually cancel turn signal indications, something that I haven’t had to do for some years.

I still find myself having to make adjustments to the climate control. It doesn’t seem to be doing as good a job at regulating the temperature/airflow as the Vectra. The jury is out o this one – more time with the vehicle will tell.

I have heard a few concerns about the radio reception, but find it excellent in the Country, much better than the Vectra.

Finally, the rear seat. People have expressed concerns about rear seat leg-room and the small opening of the rear door. I have not found these to be a problem. The opening is small, but only huge people will find it difficult. I like my driving position to be a little bit higher than some people, as it commands a better view down the road. This leaves more room under the front seats for rear passengers feet.

There are a number of ODD things I have found with the Honda.

Firstly, the passenger seat has heating only in the base where as the drivers seat has it in the base and back. The excuse of the airbag system seems lame, both seats have airbag and other makes/models seem to cope.

Secondly, the trip computer has some strange peculiarities. No data for fuel used. The data would be available as it is used to calculate avg. fuel consumption so why not show it? In addition, instant fuel consumption is shown in graph form. No other data is, so why the change – I would prefer to see the raw data thankyou.

Thirdly, the seatbelt can also be difficult to grab at times, as it hides between the small gap between the seat and the B-pillar.

Overall, however I am very satisfied with the Honda. I hope some readers may find something of interest in these words and any feedback would be great

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Accord Euro Lux 6MT
    Hondas are not perfect, its good enough for me. But considering the purchase options right now, its a car thats good for the current times until the major european makes drop prices to match it, which will never happen. You learn to live with the little flaws and enjoy the car for its on road driving qualities.
    Last edited by SpeedBird; 06-10-2009 at 12:26 PM.

Hi Mpricecs

Did you discuss the pinging issue's with your Dealer about your MY10?

Member Array
    Car:
    Euro MY2010
    I did not discuss the ping/pre-detonation issue with the dealer as I knew before-hand that my car was going to be August09 or later build. Also from what I had previously read, the issue main/mostly affected Automatics.

I have had no sign at all of any problems with pinging/pre-detonation.

Quote Originally Posted by mpricecs View Post
    I did not discuss the ping/pre-detonation issue with the dealer as I knew before-hand that my car was going to be August09 or later build. Also from what I had previously read, the issue main/mostly affected Automatics.

I have had no sign at all of any problems with pinging/pre-detonation.
    Cool , I think I have recieved a similar built date to yours , I'm picking it up soon, I believe it arrived in Australia mid September. I have asked a couple of dealers about the issue and they said this is not an issue with the MY10's, I just couldn't find a better value and quality car out there.

Member Array
    Car:
    Euro MY2010
    Congratulations! My understanding is that cars of a certain build month are shipped to arrive in Australia (Melbourne) in the first week of the following month to be ready for dealer delivery (from Precar Melbourne) by the middle of that month. ie: Aug'09 build cars arrive in first week of September for dealer delivery in the middle of September.

Like you, the Honda is hard to go past, despite the ODD little things that you most likely get with all cars, except maybe if you pay $80K-$120K. It would just be nice if they included "everything" instead of leaving something up their sleeve for the next model release!

By the way just did a leisurely trip out of town - 6.8l/100km nice drive!

Hey you making me jealous now , I can't wait to get my new car..!! You do get a couple of new features in the MY10 , that u didn't in the previous one , so thats a bonus I guess.

Member Array
    Car:
    Euro MY2010
    Have you ordered manual or automatic? Both nice but the manual is superb!

Quote Originally Posted by mpricecs View Post
    Have you ordered manual or automatic? Both nice but the manual is superb!
    I've ordered an Auto ( for the Wife!) have to say the auto i test drove , was impressive especially if u used the sports mode and paddles, but yes a manual would be much more fun. Did u give it abit when u ran it in? or took it easy?

Member Array
    Car:
    Euro MY2010
    I have been pretty gentle during the first 1000km. The vehicle in its lifetime will probably never go near the red-line (just not required). I just varied my speed and gear change points, mix of gentle and harder acceleration (when warm) and gentle on the brakes (first 300km according to manual).

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    *09-CU2-Lux-6MT
    Thats a fairly good summary of your euro buddy.
    I enjoyed reading it ...

Yes the euro is not the perfect car, and im unsure if it should be car of the year
    but its as close to a drivers car as you can get.
    My personal view is that the steering can feel (at times) disconnected
    and impersonal or maybe its just im used to old fashioned steering.
    The car looks bigger, more manly like its got elephant testicles
    Truly to get the best out of your vtec rev it to 4,000 rpm and feeeel the exilaration.
    Of course wait until you have run your motor in..
    Thanks
    Vid

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Euro Luxury (Man) CU2
    I have a Lux M/T as well. Build date is Sep '08 but I took delivery in Jun '09. I really like the car. I've moved on to this from a Ford Fairmont Ghia (BA2) and while I quite enjoyed the Ford, it felt like I was driving my lounge. It's big, bulky, quite imposing and just comfy. Driving it didn't involve much.

The Euro I find is quite more responsive, you give it, it gives back...that kind of thing. I too have the odd fiddle with the climate control and have to tweak it every now and again, but otherwise, it's quite a good car.