Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    BB6 ATTS
    Quote Originally Posted by beeza View Post
    For $6 a tyre @ Bob Jane I had Nitrogen put in my tyres.36 at the Front,34 at the Rear.

The idea is that because nitrogen molecules are tightly packed together/dense,FAR more than air,this will reduce tyre flex through corners.Guys at the track have been doing this for years,it's where it first started.

1st Impressions,Hmmm,I can feel more bums in the road,but only slightly,after 5 seconds I was like,no worries,that's nothing and was used to it!

I was looking forward to getting onto the hilly,dippy and windy road I drive home on everyday to see the difference the nitrogen made,if any.That road will test the extremes (at the speed limit,offcoarse) and give me a perfect indication of any change.

Was there a difference?

YES,A BIG DIFFERENCE!!

WOW! Car stays much flatter through the big dipping corners! I was waiting for the usual roll in the car,which I now understand as tyre sidewall flex/roll,but it didn't happen!

Car stayed flatter and felt incredibly solid through the whole corner.Just Brilliant! I'm STILL smiling

I can't wait to get out on the Track on the 7th of November!

Oh,they say it lasts for 4 months before you need to go and get a top up.
    As the second poster mentions it's to keep tyre pressures constant more than it is to increase sidewall rigidity. Don't forget... if both air and nitrogen was at the same pressure even if nitrogen is denser than air... that doesn't change the pressure in the tyre. The difference off the track in my opinion wouldn't be noticable... unless you constantly drive hard for extended periods of time.

Also no tyre is going to change the "roll" of the car... It may change steering response/feedback and sidewall flex... but neither of these are body roll. Just as a chassis brace doesn't decrease body roll... in realism it actually increases it.

A stiffer sidewall you would find would most likely INCREASE suspension travel depending on the setup of coarse.

All in all, it's good that you shared your experience though
    Last edited by Phased; 25-10-2009 at 11:54 PM.
    AMSOIL 10w30/Ea013 @ 5k OCI's, AMSOIL MTF Synchromesh, RE002's @ F 40/R 38 PSI; 9.23L/100kms. Suburban(Minimal Freeway).

Self Tuned (Road). Dyno soon.

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Cheers! And that's what it's about aye,sharing is caring

I can feel the difference the Nitrogen has made,cheers.

I can feel the wheel alignment too.They are 2 different things.