Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Fast times = Couldn't give a sh!t.

Driver experience = O,yes,100% care.

I could go out at QR and do laps for hours.

Would I ever look at the clock,Na! So what! Could not care 1 BIT!!

BUT,I would check the mirror to see if I'm still smiling and having fun

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Oh btw,I've got a b18c sitting at home but I dont care to put it in.

You see,just recently I got my car going at 100% and it's perfect.It's the perfect car for me,how it is now.I love it.I don't wanna to change that.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Stay on topic or this thread gets deleted.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Replacing an 80/20 nitrogen/oxygen mix with pure nitrogen - not a chance you'll get a "big difference" all else equal.

Hitting the magic tyre pressure is a different story. A tiny pressure change can make a big difference and there is no chance in hell that when they put the nitrogen in that the pressure remained identical. Sorry but this is an apples to oranges test.

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    I just filled up with air at the servo,that's just air isn't it?

The last 2 days I have driven 200km's in twisty roads with a 125kg Moari guy in the passenger seat,hehehe

The tyres hold firm,no roll,feels brilliant,so solid! That's a profound effect on the car,especially when your goinf left,right,left ,right,left,right constantly.BIG DIFFERENCE.

If say you were driving in the city,it wouldn't be so good,cause it will make you feel the bumps in the road and city have heaps.I wouldn't have Nitrogen in my tyres if I lived in the city or didn't drive on twisty roads.

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    AHAHAHA,Nice one mate!

hehehe

I'M DREAMIN'!!

Member Array
    Car:
    1994 Honda Accord VTI-S
    Okay mate, your placebo effect for $24 sounds great.

I might put a JDM sticker on my car and go through the twisties, and I bet i'll feel a difference.

Not trying to discourage you, but you have had alot of people telling you with authority that you are suffering from a placebo effect. If you think you are right, then thats fine, you can keep filling up with nitrogen. but most people get there air in their tyres for free, and do not think your justification for spending the money every 4 months is beneficial.

Just take a hint mate.... If you think its working then keep doing it, but stickers are cheaper.
    Gas up the Vtec for you tonight and baby you can go wherever you like.....

Hang on, doesnt Nitrogen cause Cancer? I am sure theres a worldwide conspiracy supporting this, in fact it would be in line with all your other threads Beeza..

Like the others here, I think you really are missing the point that there was a wheel alignment done as well, you can only really compare if the Nitrogen was the only change, who knows, maybe it IS a placebo effect that has made you drive a little bit harder than you normally do so all of a sudden you think your car is going better?

You also said something about the tyres being brand new, does that mean you never drove on them for any amount of time with them just being filled with ordinary air?
    Every Day You Don't Practice, Is A Day You Get Worse
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5 Integra Race Car
    From someone who has been using nitrogen in race car tyres for 20 + years I can confidently say that, all other things being equal, there is no way a race driver, even the best ones, could feel the difference between 78% nitrogen and 100% nitrogen. The reason why we use it in race car tyres is the expansion rate of 100% nitrogen is less than air. As the race tyre heats up the pressure grows, with 100% nitrogen we don't have to have as big a gap between cold and hot tyre pressures. This means the car is faster at the beginning of a race because the tyres are closer to their ideal pressure. And/or the car is faster at the end of a race because the tyres haven't over pressured.

I would add that on humid day or when using an air compressor with poor water filtration the effect of tyre temperature on tyre pressure growth is much greater. So we get more of an advantage out of using 100% nitrogen, because it has zero humidity.

As for purging the air, filling, emptying and refilling the tyres a couple of times with 100%nitrogen does a good enough job of removing the 22% of other gases. I have tried using a vacuum pump instead of multiple fills and the difference in tyre pressure is not noticeable. Even on days at 40+ degree air temp and 65+ degrees track temp.

Cheers
    Gary

Member Array
    Car:
    JazzVibeS/Prado
    Nice post Gary. Is right on the mark too.
    I think you'll find Beeze it was the wheel alignment, new tyres, correct tyre pressure (if not maybe too high as BJ's has a habit of doing that I've found).
    I used to run nitrogen in my tyres too so I'm not flaming you in any way but only because it meant I didn't need to check them as much and pressure didn't change as much between hot and cold.

Here's an idea though that is for dicsussion on nitrogen.
    I was told it ran cooler than air hence saving on tyre wear, true or myth. Gary, maybe you can shed some light on this as I not sure but think it's a myth.
    Jazz: stock, K&N panel filter.
    120 Series Prado GXL Petrol: Pacemaker extractors, Dual 2 1/4" exhaust, 70 series MT STZ's, ARB non-winch bullbar, snorkel, Dimpled and slotted rotors.

VOLTEX Array
    Car:
    Bus Route 703
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydneykid View Post
    From someone who has been using nitrogen in race car tyres for 20 + years I can confidently say that, all other things being equal, there is no way a race driver, even the best ones, could feel the difference between 78% nitrogen and 100% nitrogen. The reason why we use it in race car tyres is the expansion rate of 100% nitrogen is less than air. As the race tyre heats up the pressure grows, with 100% nitrogen we don't have to have as big a gap between cold and hot tyre pressures. This means the car is faster at the beginning of a race because the tyres are closer to their ideal pressure. And/or the car is faster at the end of a race because the tyres haven't over pressured.

I would add that on humid day or when using an air compressor with poor water filtration the effect of tyre temperature on tyre pressure growth is much greater. So we get more of an advantage out of using 100% nitrogen, because it has zero humidity.

As for purging the air, filling, emptying and refilling the tyres a couple of times with 100%nitrogen does a good enough job of removing the 22% of other gases. I have tried using a vacuum pump instead of multiple fills and the difference in tyre pressure is not noticeable. Even on days at 40+ degree air temp and 65+ degrees track temp.

Cheers
    Gary
    backing up gary here
    http://www.toyo.com.au/tech_info11.htm

imo there were too many variables in your test, if you wanted to compare the effects of nitrogen on your car you shouldve ran normal air after you got the new wheels and alignment then after a couple of ks ran it with the nitrogen.
    Winton 1:37.76 Phillip Island 1:55.27

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5 Integra Race Car
    Quote Originally Posted by BiLL|z0r View Post
    Nice post Gary. Is right on the mark too.
    I think you'll find Beeze it was the wheel alignment, new tyres, correct tyre pressure (if not maybe too high as BJ's has a habit of doing that I've found).
    I used to run nitrogen in my tyres too so I'm not flaming you in any way but only because it meant I didn't need to check them as much and pressure didn't change as much between hot and cold.

Here's an idea though that is for dicsussion on nitrogen.
    I was told it ran cooler than air hence saving on tyre wear, true or myth. Gary, maybe you can shed some light on this as I not sure but think it's a myth.
    Cooler......not directly. But indirectly maybe, say if the tyres are over pressuring with air, which will cause them to overheat. In turn the excesss heat will cause them to over pressure even more. When using 100% nitrogen, with its lower expansion rate, you may not get the over pressuring, so the tyres may not overheat.

So using 100% nitrogen could be said to help with overheating tyres, but you could achieve the same result by simply using lower cold (start off) tyre pressure with air.

If beeza wants to do a test then he should get someone to change one tyre on the car to air, equalise the pressures, then he has to guess which tyre. If it's as obvious as he makes out he should get it right 4 out 4. If he gets it right then I'll give Frank Williams a call, anyone with that sort of feel should be in F1.

Cheers
    Gary