Event Descriptions

Ever wondered what a motorkhana or supersprint is? Well read on.

Motorkhanas
    A motorkhana is a low speed event with the emphasis on manoeuvring and car control. Motorkhanas are held on both sealed and unsealed surfaces and involve negotiating a set course or test in the shortest possible time. Some examples of tests include:

Supersprints
    Supersprints or lapdashes are where we get to test out our machinery on the various race tracks around Sydney. Cars are let onto the track in pairs of similarly matched cars, with 2 to 6 pairs on the track at a time depending on the circuit. Cars complete between 1 and 4 laps, depending on the organisers. Each lap is timed, the fastest individual lap used to determine overall placing. Cars are divided into classes based on both modification levels and engine capacity.

Hillclimbs
    Hillclimbs are one car at a time speed events and involve driving up a (usually) steep hill as fast as possible. Classes are similar to supersprints.

Economy Runs
    The object of an economy run is to use the least amount of fuel for the weight of one's vehicle over a set course which usually includes both city and country driving.

Observation Runs
    Observation runs are combination social/competition events where a team (driver and navigator(s)) is given a set of directions to follow with questions (often very criptic) to answer on the way. The winning team is that with the most correct answers. In the case of a tie exactness of answers and kilometers travelled can be used to break the tie.

Moderator - here to help Array
    Hey Deb,

can you give the members a brief description on how to be a part of these events? eg signing up, car rules, personal safety etc
    Want to improve OH's website? Make a thread in the site discussion forum.

Know of a nice ride and think it should be featured? Send me a PM.

Hand out PQ points where deserved. Info HERE.

Provide feedback when buying/selling from OH members. Info HERE.

Subscribe to OH and benefit. Info HERE.

OzHonda Terms and Conditions HERE.

Hi Joyride,

Thanks for your question. We hope to have some invitations to these types of events soon....but bear in mind that from now until the end of the year the motorsport calandar tends to wind down a bit and doesn't really get started again until next year....

But....the level of involvement and preparation required for these types of events varies based on the type of event.

In motorkhanas you generally do not need a helmet, but your car will be scruitineered for simple things like Is the battery secured? Is the cabin free of stuff that could fly around and hit you? Are your wheels gonna fall off etc etc

Supersprints as you can imagine are a lot more invloved. You need an entry level CAMS licence, a helmet, neck to ankle non flammable clothing (I believe this may be changed to race suit), a fire extinguisher etc etc. Your car will be scruitineered a lot more closely (for safety purposes, but also to determine or to confirm your class....eg changes/modifications to suspension and/or brakes can effect the class you are in)

None of it is impossible for the "Average Joe", and there are many people in the club that have done this in the past. My husband completed the state round of supersprints in a standard 300zx in 2007.....

As for economy runs and observations runs.....turn up on the day, listen to the oragniser as they give you a driver's briefing, be safe and have fun!

Myself I am not a "racer". I have competed in motorkhanas in the past for fun....but not in the last 8 years or so LOL I enjoy the social aspects of our club, as well as Obs Runs and Economy Runs.

Please keep the questions coming....but I may refer some of them to more experienced members of our committee for answering. LOL

I hope this has given you a bit of an idea.

Cheers, Deb

Member Array
    Car:
    RustBox
    Observation Run sounds fun
    ٩( ͡๏̯͡๏)۶ www.crxaustralia.com ಠ_ಠ

Member Array
    Car:
    fd1

I wish you guys all the best with regarding this car club, it sounds like a very positive step in the right direction

One thing that I have noticed and I am sure you guys have too is, motorsport events generally dont last unless you have a loyal clientele and strong event participation.

We have had a few series over here in perth that have gone under due to a lack of participants with track hire, cams official hire and insurance driving prices higher and higher.

I hope the next time im over in Sydney I can come along to one of these events and see what you guys have got! particularly with the huge talent you boys over east have displayed on these forums

Ryan
    2012 BMW S1000rr - 184whp, 9.733s @ 148.27mph - Quick enough!
    2006 Honda Civic - 101whp, 61s BBGL Short - When I need a bbt.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    I'm looking forward to the observation runs. Reminds me of those old treasure hunt races.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2