Thread: panel vs pod

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    98 EK1

panel vs pod

just wanted to know out of the k&n filters which was best performance and filtration wise? pod or panel (covers the whole surface area of the box sitting under adaptor whole but above resonator whole, practicaly in the middle of the box)
    i have ek1 and the standard air box...i am planning on removing resonator and feeding cold air through a 2.5-3in hose from the front bumber....
    will water going into the hose be a problem or not be able to travel the 1 or so foot up the pipe??
    cheers

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Door EK GLi
    search dude, only been covered dozens of times, no, unless you drive through wheel-arch deep puddles, waters not a prob

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Yeah don't worry about it mate. A few drops on your pod won't be a problem. If it even seeps through the filter your intake will surely suck up air in preference to water simply because of the weight difference. And even then a couple of drops won't be a problem.

My CAI can pick up water drops that fall in just underneath my headlight but it's not a problem. As the dude above said you pretty much need to be submerged to get water up there.

So go pod filter - it sounds nicer and has a larger total surface area/filter element and will flow better

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    98 EK1
    yeh i have been searching ive read about it needing to be totally submerged in water to hydro lock but i was just not sure about my car due to the location of where my fog lights are plus the lowered height of my car...
    i got a part ordered in for me and the store orded me the panel k&n so ill return it to get a pod if they are better SA wise.
    my internet has gone over usage so im lucky to be getting on the site otherwise id be pulling up every forum site for the answers..
    thanks

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Call 3A Racing and order a pod from them. Autosalon tested all the big names (AEM, Injen, K&N etc.) and 3A Racing came out clearly on top - 1st for filtration and 2nd for flow. For $26 + postage they're a bargain as some of the other big names cost $100+

And yeah dw about hydrolock, you'll be sweet

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    98 EK1
    thanks for the info... yeh i heard about that but apparently it was a tad biased...

im still gunna go with k&n and just return for a pod...then change the intake when i finish my exams...
    cheers for the help