Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EH9 Si

Unhappy Help with Civic D16A8 - not starting.

Hi Guys,
    I just bought a 92 Civic EH9 sedan with a D16A8 engine.
    I got it cheap as it wasn't running, and the kid had no idea what was wrong with it. Now I'm stumped too!
    I did an ECU check, and everything came up fine - MIL just stayed on.
    It's getting spark, i've replaced dizzy & rotor, its getting fuel, has power to the injectors, and as the plugs are wet I can only assume they are working. I've triple checked the plug leads, to make sure they are in the right order.
    So what else could it be?????

The only other thing that I think is not normal, is when I turn the ignition on, the fuel pump comes on, and does not cut out. I was under the impression that it only stayed on momentarily to prime the system. Could this be the problem? How do I fix it?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, otherwise I'll have to get a mechanic out I guess!

Thanx in advance.
    Last edited by 5lam; 29-10-2009 at 11:16 PM.

if the fuel pump stays on (as in whirls constant) the wiring has been played with and the fuel pump is wired to constant.

The car DOES turn over right just wont start ?If the plugs are wet , you have excessive fuel in the combustion chamber and there is no chance the engine will ignite. Clean the spark plugs , "start"the engine a few times with the dizzy disconnected and spark plugs out ( to vent some of the excess)
    then hook up again and try again.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EH9 Si
    Yep, it turns over, and sounds as tho it wants to fire, but it just can't.
    I'll check the pump this afternoon then, and try that

REMEMBER to disconnect the dizzy ! So many times i have been thru a similar problem and fried a dizzy because it overheated !

PS let me know if you need a spare d16a8 dizzy as ive got one spare too.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EH9 Si
    Cheers Bennjamin! I'll let you know how I go.
    Custom doesn't come in a Box!
    Rust is lighter than Carbon Fibre

Member Array
    Car:
    B16A EG Civic
    One of the relay switches in the main relay might be stuck closed. Would expain why it's over fueling and continues to run after the prime sequence is finished. Either swap out the main relay for another or check that the 5 and 7 pins on it aren't shorting together, bypassing the internal relay switch.

Another possible explanation could be that the relay might have broken the fuel pump circuit inside ages ago (most likely due to a dry solder join) and wouldn't close. So someone did a dodgey fix and jumped the 5 and 7 pins outside the relay to provide power to the pump, not realising that bypassing the main relay means the ECU can't control the fuel injection properly.

Either way try out a main relay from any other fuel injected EG. Won't be hard to come by.

This website will help show how the main relay works and what can cause it to stuff up. Will help explain what I was saying.
    Last edited by 02gzm; 29-10-2009 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Added URL

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EH9 Si
    Can I buy a new main relay from say Repco, or Global?

Member Array
    Car:
    B16A EG Civic
    Would be easier to find/cheaper just grabbing one from a wreckers. It'll be located right next to the fuse box in an EG. This is a similar picture of one from USA. (Obviously it's on the other side of the car because it's left hand drive but you get the idea of where it is in relation to the fusebox).
    Last edited by 02gzm; 29-10-2009 at 08:59 AM.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EH9 Si
    Thanks 02gzm.
    I'll check that out too.
    Things like that I'd rather buy new though, as a wrecker will still sting me for it, and I can't guarantee it will be any better than the one I have.

Quote Originally Posted by 5lam View Post
    Thanks 02gzm.
    I'll check that out too.
    Things like that I'd rather buy new though, as a wrecker will still sting me for it, and I can't guarantee it will be any better than the one I have.

if you have a friend with a EG , Ek or DC honda.....they have the exact same main relay. Borrow theirs and swap it and see if that works !

Member Array
    Car:
    B16A EG Civic
    It'd be good to borrow one if you know someone with a civic so you can test it out. If it is the problem and you know how, you could always just reflow the dry solder joins in your current main relay. Otherwise I'm pretty sure Honda might still be able to supply them. They used basically the same main relays in various models for over 10 years.

You'll still probably have to dry out the excess fuel like Ben said too. You'll know if it's the problem if the fuel pump primes and stops after 2 seconds like it's supposed to though.
    Last edited by 02gzm; 29-10-2009 at 09:06 AM.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EH9 Si
    No, all my mates are into V8's
    haha. All good. I mite try the solder trick first maybe and see how that goes. I'll check the pump too and make sure it hasn't been fiddled with.
    Thanks for your help guys
    I'll let you know if it works