Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    2014 NSX

How to install JDM Folding Mirrors for Integra

just wondering on anyone how to install JDM Folding Mirrors, how to re-wire and all the necessary parts to install with.
    thanks !

I would like this too
    Every Day You Don't Practice, Is A Day You Get Worse
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra DA9
    ****kk :P that would be mad.
    I'd really like this too cmon someone must have done it?

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3R>AH>EK>DC2
    I think Bludger has done it

I have everything, half did it, then been busy for over a year.

still yet to finish it.

All the information on how to do it is available on the net if you look hard enough. Getting all the correct parts is another story.

If you want further information then send me a pm with specific questions.

I have no time for general chittychat.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic VTi
    Quote Originally Posted by slimx View Post
    cmon someone must have done it?
    OK. I know this is an old thread but I'm in the process of installing a pair of JDM Integra fold-in mirrors on my DA9 so I thought I'd revive it rather than making a new thread or "How-To".

I was out at Pick n Payless a while ago, and an unusual Integra caught my eye. It had a Personal Import tag in the engine bay. It was a DA5.

I looked it over, it hadn't been there long and noticed the mirror switch had a little extra button, and immediately recognised it as the activation for JDM fold-in mirrors.

I grabbed the mirrors themselves and the switch, then came home to do some research. It was then that I found out you also need the relay box so it was back out to PnP the next day.

It was pouring rain, and I had to virtually remove the whole dash to find the small relay box tucked up high on the passenger side. Needless to say I got soaked but I was determined to get as much of the necessary wiring as I could. It's usually all the same price anyway.

Now I figured I'd do a good "OEM" style job so I took all the door wiring from both sides, right through to the door jamb. I grabbed all the wiring behind the switch (basically the complete dash wiring - I thought I might as well seeing as how I'd removed the dash anyway). It included some other "Extra" switches like foglights.

When I got home I noticed that the large "clear" plug that goes into the fuse box under the dash is way different than the Aus-spec one so this really negated using the JDM dash harness as I wasn't going to try and find where about 30 wires went under the dash. Anyway, the green Aus-spec mirror plug is exactly the same as the JDM one - it has all the same wires so if you go to do this don't be put off by the US installation how-to's. Their plug doesn't have the extra wire needed to fold the mirrors in (as seen in the photo below - it has 7 pins; JDM/Aus-spec is full 8 pins)

So this is what you'll need to do this job:

1. The mirrors - actually you don't - you only need the motors inside. If you want JDM glass you can keep those but I replaced them with the flat Aus-spec glass.

I wasn't going to repaint the JDM mirrors as they were pretty nasty (original Milano Red and someone had painted them gloss black) so I just transferred the motors to my mirrors.

As it turned out it wasn't that easy as someone had tried to cure a wobbly mirror by using Locktite Blue on the three small screws underneath. I ended up drilling them out and finding replacements. This wasted about two hours.

2. The relay box under the passenger side dash area. Make sure to get enough wiring with the blue plug to be able solder join.

3. The wiring from the doors, up to the door jamb - Aus-spec is 3 wires; JDM-spec is 5 wires.

4. The dash switch with extra button (seen below against standard switch). My switch isn't as fancy as this, and the button is on the other side (This photo is from a US install).

PS. These aren't my photos as I've already got the wiring in the doors and attached to my mirrors before I found this thread and writing this.

I'll take some photos of my install as soon as I can.

Peter
    Last edited by jdm_b16a; 26-04-2012 at 04:16 PM.
    Still here. Still kickin'

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    good info here
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Moderator Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic VTi
    Doing the Job

Firstly, a word of warning!

This is a simple two hour job. CRAP!

This is not a simple conversion. I have been working on this for quite some time now, and in fact, I only started again yesterday after walking away from it some weeks ago. I've had to remove the dash as I had to pull the fuse box, and route the wires through the door jambs. Also, make sure you get a good write-up - most of the ones out there are rubbish (maybe that's why I'm doing this!!) and some use Civic EG door schematics when they are working on an Integra. The plugs are very different at the mirrors!

All the pieces: note the grey plug is the same as our green plug. Original three pin plugs on the right.

OK. Let's assume you have all the parts I mentioned in the my post above.

I started by removing my door mirrors (I won't show you how; I assume you know how to do this).

I disassembled the JDM mirrors and removed the motors. The JDM motors are a complete sealed unit whereas the Aus-spec unit is a small motor and a rather large spring (to enable you to push the mirror in manually).

You will also need to cut the harness to the mirror motor - it's the only way to completely disassemble it. So if you aren't very good at soldering then stop right here.

I installed the JDM motor into my mirrors and replaced the flat glass. You can remove the glass easily by folding one side out and putting your fingers behind and gently pulling. The glass is only held in place by three pivot points. Putting it back on is just as easy - gently push down and they "clip" back in place.

OK, so you're mirrors are physically ready. Now to wire them up.

Run the 5 pin wiring through the outer shell (each mirror consists of two parts - a metal base and a plastic covering shell) and then through the door opening. Re-install your mirrors. Strip each wire on both the mirror side and the plug side and rejoin all of them by soldering and covering with heat shrink. I prefer heat shrink to black electrical tape as it stays in place and doesn't become all sticky with age and unravel.

As I said above, my job was made easier by using the complete JDM door harness. It's exactly the same except for the 2 extra wires for the fold-in mirror. So I just replaced everything!

[I assume you removed the door pin to allow you to open the door(s) as wide as they will go. It makes it much easier.]

You should now be at the door jamb. This is where it gets fiddly.

On each side, in the cabin I took the two extra wires from the JDM plug, added a length of wire to each, put them into the respective slots on the Aus-spec harness and fed them into the cabin. So I plugged everything back in at the door.

You now need to solve the problem of attaching the power relay and connecting up the dash switch.

I mounted the power relay in pretty much the same position as where I found it. It sits behind the passenger kick panel.

I am going to join the two wires from each side to the relay, and then to the switch.

That's where I'm up to now.

Peter
    Last edited by jdm_b16a; 26-04-2012 at 04:20 PM.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic VTi
    I did some continuity testing on the Aus-spec plug at the under-dash fuse box and I found out that all the wires have "active" functionality so it's really only the one wire - the one that makes the mirrors fold-in - that has to be activated. It's on the switch but I think it terminates at the fuse box.

This will mean leaving all the original wiring in place (up/down and left/right on the mirrors), and activating the fold-in by getting 12V power and an EARTH to the mirror relay, joining the wires and splicing into the dash switch.

I'll have a go at that tomorrow.

Peter

Moderator Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic VTi
    Here's a drawing I've done for the pins for the mirrors.

Please note that each pinout is looking at the plug from the wiring side. That is, looking at the plug from the back. Also, my labeling doesn't follow Honda convention.

I'll add the other plugs as I do them.

Peter
    Last edited by jdm_b16a; 26-04-2012 at 05:07 PM.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic VTi
    Mirror Relay (Blue plug)

Not to scale. Looking at the plug from the wire side.

Peter
    Last edited by jdm_b16a; 26-04-2012 at 05:50 PM.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic VTi
    Here's my schematic for the Integra DA9:

Note: I don't take any responsibility for any damage you may do to your vehicle as a result of these instructions. Please check all your wiring and plugs before applying power.

I will splice into the dash switch on the above mentioned three wires - BLK, BLK/YLW & BLU/YLW

Then, join each of the two wires from the mirrors, marked in RED and BLUE above.

So, for the non-technically minded, here's what's happening.

The relay that operates the mirror motors gets it's power (12V) from the dash switch (which in turn gets power from the battery via the under-dash fuse box protected by a 7.5 fuse.) GND is provided by the battery as well, via the black wire from the dash switch. The only other wire of interest is the BLU/YLW wire which is the additional wire supplied by JDM. This is the wire that sends the signal to fold the mirrors in.

The BLU/YLW wire sends it's signal to the left (passenger) mirror and the right (driver) mirror. One wire folds the mirror in; the other folds the mirror out. I'll verify these tomorrow.

In each of the mirror connectors Pins #3, #5 and #6 are the standard wires for in/out and up/down operation. These correspond to pins #4, #5, #6, #7 and #8 on the dash switch.

Peter
    Last edited by jdm_b16a; 26-04-2012 at 08:21 PM.