Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R

car choking when cold

Hey guys
    When the car is cold the car chokes. when i accelates chokes like it lags and coughs before the revs get high enough and it burns properly.
    it only happens when its cold.
    could it be the O2 Sensor or something else.
    When the car warms up it runs normal but when the temp is still cold the idle is a bit rough.
    any help would be appreciated.

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    Can't help but its something my EM1 does aswell. Bugs the sh!t out of me.
    "It's B1GTYM baby!!"
    3TripleZero

i had the same problem on my dc2 when i rev it when its cold it sounded like a rexy lol but when i went to change my spark plugs during i was unscrewing them out i relised that it wasnt coming out so i had to get the hole redone then changed new spark plugs now it doesnt happen no more

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic
    Previous car had an issue like that.
    Sometimes on cold starts it would choke and turn off or you would need to give it gas to get going.

Ended up being dirty injectors caused by dirty fuel tank.

Used injector cleaner and then got the injectors cleaned. Fixed the problem

Its an older car now (wat yr dc2r?)
    Things obviously get very dirty over time and sometimes it does pay off to get things cleaned up and replaced (eg spark plugs)

Little things like that will help run your car alot better but choking when it first warms up would be pretty normal, just dont push her until she warms up more mate

i can't help specifically with a DC2R but with any EFI car with cold start hesitation i'd start by looking at (in order of cheapness):

1) worn spark plugs and/or weak ignition coil. replace plugs and see if it helps
    2) failing coolant temperature sensor
    3) jammed open or failing EGR valve (i know this is a common problem with certain euro cars *cough Astra cough*)

it can be due to an O2 sensor but if it is you will tend to notice the following. the car drives fine for perhaps the first 30 seconds on a cold start, then the hesitation will suddenly begin and continue until the engine is warmer, when it disappears. the reason for this is that a cold EFI engine runs in open loop mode for about 30 seconds+, before it switches to closed loop mode. O2 sensor inputs are only used in closed loop mode. if the O2 sensor is failing - the problems will only occur once the switch to closed loop is made.

apart from this you can try the usual maintanence stuff. dump some injector cleaner/total combustion cleaner into the tank next time you fill up. check air filter for blockage. check fuel filter for blockage. clean butterfly valve in the throttle body.

good luck

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    Its and 01 DC2R.
    I'll check the spark plugs and do an oil change and filter change.
    will pour some injector cleaner as i need to fill up today.
    Its wierd cos it only just started happening.
    PZAWAY - yeah it does sound like a rexy but its annoying as i know the car doesnt usually sound like that.
    Lithium Thanks for the advise will do the oil changes first and see how it goes. will clean the TB also just in case.

I dont push her until temp is up to normal i usually start her and let her sit there for 45 secs to a min before i start driving anyhow.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    Changed the oil, cleaned the spark plugs, cleaned the TB and cleaned the Air filter.
    Car is all good now.
    Thanks for the advise.

Quote Originally Posted by b4dnuf View Post
    Changed the oil, cleaned the spark plugs, cleaned the TB and cleaned the Air filter.
    Car is all good now.
    Thanks for the advise.
    good to hear