Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Angry 2006 Jazz CVT problem

Greetings all. Just wondering what folks think of this?

In January this year my 2006 Jazz (1.3L) started shuddering when starting off. The shuddering got progressively worse as time wore on so we took the problem to the local Honda service centre. The response was that they flushed the gear box oil and replaced it with a new better type of oil under warranty. The problem went away.

In Oct/Nov (some 10 or 11 months later) the problem reappeared exactly as before, only this time the car had now done 64,000Km & was declared out of warranty by Honda & thus not covered.

When I quizzed Honda further & after examining our service history Honda declared that since we had not had the car serviced by an authorised Honda service centre (we used a reputable mechanic who charged significantly less but did all services according to the book) and because some services were not done on time, and because the warranty period was now expired we were not covered but... that as a gesture of good will they would pay for half the parts cost leaving us only $1419 to pay for the repair. We are still considering our next move but are rather disappointed to say the least. During the period no gearbox services were suggested in the service guide that came with the car.

Recent research has turned up the following:
    1. This is a well known problem for this model Jazz with the CVT transmission.
    2. This is relatively common, as can be discovered by searching the Internet. There are even after-market fixes suggested by many, for those people not covered by warranty.
    3. Many people have said that Honda have extended the warranty on Jazz's to cover this all over the world, even in Australia.
    4. There is a Honda bulletin (HUK000000001117) "this quite clearly clarifies the situation, ALL cvt jazz`s with chassis build code GD1 from 02,03,04,05,06 are included in this extended warranty, it covers as a first measure flushing the gearbox & if that doesnt cure things the a box strip & repair to sort the judder out !!". This appears to be a Honda UK bulletin but it beggars belief that there wouldn't be an equivalent Honda AUS bulletin.

Since our problem began well within the warranty period and was only temporarily resolved by the gear oil flush in January that held off symptoms just long enough for the re-occurrance to fall outside the warranty, I can't help but feel as if we are being done over by Honda.

Thoughts anybody?

Member Array
    Car:
    EURO LUX
    the actually problem is the bearing going in the cvt box

so its actually all labour in this case

but its a common problem

servicing the box more regular will help fix the problem you have
    but i guess its too late for you
    the service book is not always a indication of when to do things its a guide
    it says if you drive more and depending on your driving conditions servicing should be done more

your lucky that they are even helping you out imo
    3k is the going rate at honda
    to fix this

The problem is not the bearings it shudder in the start clutch assy.

Member Array
    Car:
    EURO LUX
    Quote Originally Posted by HondaTechy View Post
    The problem is not the bearings it shudder in the start clutch assy.
    dam honda techs telling me wrong info then eh
    thanks for clearing that up

Member Array
    Car:
    09 VTIS, Lotus.
    Honda should be flogged for selling cars with problems like this. This part should be a FREE replacement, as it'd obviously a major design weakness. If it happens to my CVT Jazz ( 60,000k and alright atm ), no more Honda's for me ever.

did you happen to have had a battery replaced yet.

Member Array
    Car:
    GD3//EK//CL9
    Does this problem occur in most jazz's? I've done about 70,000k's and i havnt had this problem as of yet.
    Post Quality > Post Quantity
    Loving HID and LED installs! Feels free to ask me any questions
    Installs done to: Jazz's, Civic's, Euro's, Skyline's, Silvia's, Commodore's, Corolla's, Mazda's

Quote Originally Posted by stylzjhn View Post
    Does this problem occur in most jazz's? I've done about 70,000k's and i havnt had this problem as of yet.
    It is a well known problem but I think it only happens in a small percentage of cars.

There are things you can do to stave off the problem as well.
    1. Change the gearbox oil more regularly and make sure you use the new special Honda CVT transmission oil.
    2. There is an additive called "Oil Extreme" you can put in the gear box oil that apparently helps.

Quote Originally Posted by stylzjhn View Post
    honda service bulletins and maintainece interval is currently at 80,000km. best off replacing soon. mine was burnt and black @ 45,000km. since flushed and replaced fluid and drives better

Quote Originally Posted by markcurtis View Post
    It is a well known problem but I think it only happens in a small percentage of cars.

There are things you can do to stave off the problem as well.
    1. Change the gearbox oil more regularly and make sure you use the new special Honda CVT transmission oil.
    2. There is an additive called "Oil Extreme" you can put in the gear box oil that apparently helps.

my gfs car has started to do this...its literally a shudder thru the entire drivetrain under medium to heavy load from standstill. 43,000ks.

2007 vti , what steps are to be taken to get this fixed/replaced from honda ?
    This issue IS covered....right ?

Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    my gfs car has started to do this...its literally a shudder thru the entire drivetrain under medium to heavy load from standstill. 43,000ks.

2007 vti , what steps are to be taken to get this fixed/replaced from honda ?
    This issue IS covered....right ?
    If the car is still under warranty you should be OK. I would take it in ASAP. They will probably say "Let's flush the gearbox & see how it goes". That's what they did with mine. Just make it very clear that you know this is a known problem & that it will probably need a new start clutch so you don't want a half-job that will just get them through the warranty period and leave you to pay for the clutch later.

It's also important that you get the regular services done on time & preferably by a Honda dealer. It's not supposed to be important who does the servicing but Honda are easier to deal with if you do it by the book through their dealer network.
    Last edited by markcurtis; 28-12-2009 at 08:35 AM.

I have an 02 Jonda Jazz with the CVT. We bought it with 20,000km on the clock and we are now about to get the 150k km service. The shudder has been there for a while and new oil and start clutch adjustment seems to help but the problem always returns.

My question is, what is the long term future for the car? The wife loves it but I have finally convinced her it needs to go before it blows up on us. To get the transmission re-built would cost about $3-4k apparently. I would rather spend that money changing to a more reliable car with a standard auto transmission.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Nathan