Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 Boosted

Honda S2000 Steering Problem

Hi Guys,

the car always wants to pull to the right the steer wheels just wants to turn if you jack up the car so the wheels are off the ground and turn the car on the steering willl hook right straight away, I went to pedders to get a wheel alignment on all fours and everything is the specs it should be the guy said the car has to go straight yet it still pulls to the right and when you turn left its very hard to turn the steering wheel,

is this a problem with the ESP ? any ideas all i can think of is changing the ESP module ? Please help

Member Array
    Car:
    AP1 S2000
    I don't have a high opinion of Pedders so excuse me if I'm biased but I suggest you get another opinion.

A few questions... is your car lowered? If so, the right side may be lower than the left and causing bumpsteer but that sounds kinda weird unlesss...
    Your car was in an accident?

Also tie rod ends and ball joints for the hubs not leaking, bent etc?

If the EPS indicator light isn't appearing on your dash - I kinda doubt that may be the problem...

It could well be a poor alignment... check that your tie rod end adjustment is equal. As in, the left side from the steering rack is roughly the same length as the right side.

Just throwing a few ideas... bit hard to diagnose without seeing the car

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 Boosted
    car isnt lowered its stock heigh, just had bob jane look at it and they said the car should be going straight as well they done everything every adjust it to pull to the left but steering wheels still trying to turn right, its not a alignment its something to do with the power steering motor pulling the steering to the right all the time, when sitting in one place not moving and turning the steering wheel left its very hard to turn it but when going right its very light and easy to turn.

Please help its making my arm sore when driving lol and feels a bit unsafe

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 Boosted
    anyone ???

Member Array
    Car:
    Choo Choo shoe.
    I believe s2000 were fitted with electric steering.

A wandering steering is usually an indication of an electrical fault within the steering components. Most probably the motor it self. It either is out of calibration, a sensor is reading a weird data or the motor is faulty.

Easy way to find out and single out the problem.
    Find the relay or the fuse (which ever one it uses to control power supply) to the electric steering. Un plug it so you have no electric assist. Drive it and see if it still pulls. If it doesnt. Then you found your problem. Well nearly.

If it still does pull. Then it could be an alignment issue. The car might have been in a front ender. And the angles that arent adjustable has been permanently effected. Even though the wheel alignment is straight and true. The suspension alignment might not be.

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000 AP1
    hey champ,

Thought i might shine some light on your problems.
    The EPS is the problem and not your alignment. There are two sensors that the EPS uses to help assist steering. One is a speed sensor and the other is a torque sensor. There are generally two reasons why this is happening. Either the car has had the battery disconnected for some period or possibly you have had the gearbox out.

There is a procedure on how to reset the steering so that it track's striaght again. This doesn't always fix the problem and sometimes the cause is the torque sensor being faulty.

The reset procedure can be done at a Honda dealer or if you have a service manual i think there's a step by step on how it's reset.

I'll see if i can find my service manual, i'll let you know.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 Boosted
    took the fuse out and car is driving straight with no power steering so JAP S2K you are on the ball Champ can you please post up the reset details for me would be much help,

and yes the battery was d/c for a while as I went overseas and the battery died

Member Array
    Car:
    AP1 S2000
    Apparently you need a Honda PGM tester... but there's an easier way :P
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67113
    Follow this guide to short the SCS connector (just get a paperclip) but not straight away! The manual shows how to do it with the Honda PGM tester but this is the method using just a SCS short - basically the same method but to start it, is slightly different.
    I take no liability blah blah haha.. taken straight from the manual :P

1. Align your wheels so they're facing straight.
    2. Short the SCS circuit as per the linked guide above.
    3. Turn the steering wheel 45 degrees to the left from the straight ahead position, and hold it in that position.
    4. Turn the ignition switch ON (III). The EPS indicator comes on, then it goes off after 4 seconds.
    5. Within 4 seconds after the EPS indicator goes off, return the steering wheel to the straight ahead driving position and release the steering wheel. The EPS indicator will come on again 4 seconds after releasing the steering wheel.
    5. Within 4 seconds after the EPS indicator comes on, turn the steering wheel to the left45 degree position and hold the steering wheel. The EPS indicator will turn off again after 4 seconds.
    6. Within 4 seconds after the EPS indicator goes off, return the steering wheel to the straight ahead driving position and release the steering wheel. Do not move the steering wheel before turning the ignition switch OFF.
    NOTE: If the steering wheel is moved, the torque sensor neutral position cannot be written to memory.
    7. The EPS indicator blinks twice 4 seconds after releasing the steering wheel, then it blinks three times 5 seconds after. Then, the indicator goes off. The torque sensor neutral position is memorized.
    NOTE: If the EPS indicator stays on, there was an error in wrting the torque sensor neutral position to memory. Repeat the procedure from the start.
    8. Turn the ignition switch OFF.
    9. Disconnect the SCS short.

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000 AP1
    It's as above or PM me your email address and i'll email you a service manual. It's about 25mb though, but very handy to have.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 Boosted
    thanks man Ill give that a try i flew out yesterday to vietnam Ill be back in 2 weeks to try that.

Ill let you know how I go thanks again

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 Boosted
    When I try this i get to step 5 and the ESP light flashs 2 long flash and 3 Short ones and 1 long flash and 4 short flash whats that mean ? I keep trying but everytime the ESP turns off and i return the wheel to centre and turn left again i get these 2 i guess errors please help

Quote Originally Posted by aozora View Post
    Apparently you need a Honda PGM tester... but there's an easier way :P
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67113
    Follow this guide to short the SCS connector (just get a paperclip) but not straight away! The manual shows how to do it with the Honda PGM tester but this is the method using just a SCS short - basically the same method but to start it, is slightly different.
    I take no liability blah blah haha.. taken straight from the manual :P

1. Align your wheels so they're facing straight.
    2. Short the SCS circuit as per the linked guide above.
    3. Turn the steering wheel 45 degrees to the left from the straight ahead position, and hold it in that position.
    4. Turn the ignition switch ON (III). The EPS indicator comes on, then it goes off after 4 seconds.
    5. Within 4 seconds after the EPS indicator goes off, return the steering wheel to the straight ahead driving position and release the steering wheel. The EPS indicator will come on again 4 seconds after releasing the steering wheel.
    5. Within 4 seconds after the EPS indicator comes on, turn the steering wheel to the left45 degree position and hold the steering wheel. The EPS indicator will turn off again after 4 seconds.
    6. Within 4 seconds after the EPS indicator goes off, return the steering wheel to the straight ahead driving position and release the steering wheel. Do not move the steering wheel before turning the ignition switch OFF.
    NOTE: If the steering wheel is moved, the torque sensor neutral position cannot be written to memory.
    7. The EPS indicator blinks twice 4 seconds after releasing the steering wheel, then it blinks three times 5 seconds after. Then, the indicator goes off. The torque sensor neutral position is memorized.
    NOTE: If the EPS indicator stays on, there was an error in wrting the torque sensor neutral position to memory. Repeat the procedure from the start.
    8. Turn the ignition switch OFF.
    9. Disconnect the SCS short.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 Boosted
    im pretty sure its error code 23 and 14 can anyone help with fixing it, Ive been googleing all week cant seam to find anything

DTC: 14 Open or short to body ground in the torque sensor circuit
    could this be because Ive got SCS Grounded ?

and

DTC: 23 A problem with the circuit for engine speed signal
    is this because the car isnt on

please help