Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R

DC Sports header vs Comptech Header

As per title, which one would offer better performance gains and reliability??

I am looking at Heeltoe automotive, and the DC Sports are roughly $300 cheaper than the Comptech ones.

http://www.heeltoeauto.com/home.php?cat=660

However, they also state for the DC Sports that "There have also been reports of the exhaust flex pipe breaking over time and needing replacement. Be aware that this header, which it makes power and fits well, may develop a repairable leak after some time requiring a trip to the muffler shop."

Has anyone has this issue, and how much does it cost to fix?

Thanks!

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro luxury manual
    Quote Originally Posted by npcan2 View Post
    As per title, which one would offer better performance gains and reliability??

I am looking at Heeltoe automotive, and the DC Sports are roughly $300 cheaper than the Comptech ones.

http://www.heeltoeauto.com/home.php?cat=660

However, they also state for the DC Sports that "There have also been reports of the exhaust flex pipe breaking over time and needing replacement. Be aware that this header, which it makes power and fits well, may develop a repairable leak after some time requiring a trip to the muffler shop."

Has anyone has this issue, and how much does it cost to fix?

Thanks!
    I have Comptech header.This i think has more gains over the DC sport and it's stainless steel whereas the DC is ceramic coated.I've had mine on the car for 2 yrs.and no problems.

Member Array
    Car:
    Lexus IS-F
    I was going to bring this up for you mate, but you already have been warned.....

The yanks recon the comptech is the go, from what i've read.
    Honda Accord Euro CU2 / Lexus IS-F

Member Array
    Car:
    "07" CL9 Limited Lux
    The flex pipe is an easy fix. Didnt cost much at all. From what i recall, the gains are pretty similar. I have read that Comptech seems to rattle, mainly on auto. Thats why i decided to go the DC route. However, as stated by someone else, the DC are ceramic, thus not as durable. I went with Topspeed header from ebay, which is a stainless steel replica of DC but with added durability.
    At the moment, im gonna save for a race header and maybe...just maybe manual conversion lol

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    I found a Topspeed one on ebay here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Acura...Q5fAccessories

Would this theoretically have the durability of the Comptech (as it is SS), and the price of the DC Sports? snYpz, how much was the fix for the flex pipe?

Its all so confusing... and I would def need a cat after this wouldn't I? (Sigh)

Member Array
    Car:
    "07" CL9 Limited Lux
    I found a Topspeed one on ebay here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Acura...Q5fAccessories

Would this theoretically have the durability of the Comptech (as it is SS), and the price of the DC Sports? snYpz, how much was the fix for the flex pipe?

Its all so confusing... and I would def need a cat after this wouldn't I? (Sigh)
    Nah man. its not as confusing as it sounds. The header is easy, i have the topspeed and its still working a treat at the moment. I did have the flex-pipe replaced even before i installed it due to hissing issues notorious in the DC and the replica header (topspeed). Do a search in the thread, im sure i posted something regarding the flex pipe in one of the threads before. You will know exactly what size flex pipe to be asking for to replace. Its a really easy job the exhaust shop can do for you. Of the mods ive done to the car, this was one of the more simple (not that i have done extensive mods, all bolt-ons )

The cat does not need to be replaced with the street headers. Although i did replace mine to increase airflow. The common cat ppl use are the RT and magnaflow from what i gather. Im using a 200-300 cell cat atm and i think the stock 03-05 is about 600-800 cell.

Member Array
    Car:
    Public Transport / Foot
    top speed is good value for money. it does have the same gain as the DC sport headers. but yeah comptech / CT headers r good for thier quiality i guess

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro luxury manual

Topspeed is stainless copy of DC so yes it would be as durable as the Comptech.AS snypz said just take to exhaust shop and they'll replace the flex pipe.Looks like good value at A$175.00 just watch the freight cost which will be approx.same $$$ as the headers.Just worked out the shipped cost.AU$345.00 to your door.
    Last edited by tony1234; 21-12-2009 at 07:15 AM.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    In terms of the piping, the DC Sports itself if as durable as the Comptech. The part that is NOT as durable is the flexpipe. If you replace the flex pipe with a proper double-braided one, then you won't have the cracking issue. If you do scratch or crack the DC Sport's ceramic coating, then you will eventually get rusting. The Topspeed header has the same flex pipe issue as the DC Sports, plus another issue with the flange not being perfectly flat which then causes leaks. That will also depend on your luck if the guy on the production line was feeling happy on the day your header was made in China.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    2003 Euro Lux
    I think dc sports made a second version of their header with a revised flex pipe?
    Can anyone confirm this?

Member Array
    Car:
    Public Transport / Foot
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    In terms of the piping, the DC Sports itself if as durable as the Comptech. The part that is NOT as durable is the flexpipe. If you replace the flex pipe with a proper double-braided one, then you won't have the cracking issue. If you do scratch or crack the DC Sport's ceramic coating, then you will eventually get rusting. The Topspeed header has the same flex pipe issue as the DC Sports, plus another issue with the flange not being perfectly flat which then causes leaks. That will also depend on your luck if the guy on the production line was feeling happy on the day your header was made in China.
    yeah but quality wise its pretty good for china made stuff

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by felixd View Post
    yeah but quality wise its pretty good for china made stuff
    On mine, the flange was not flat, so it burnt through the metal gasket and also the additional high temp liquid exhaust gasket that I put in. The 4-section to the exhaust port flange is poorly welded such that there is a 0.5mm gap between the pipe and the flange. Doesn't leak out in between the pipe and the flange, but it is not good for flow. All these are minor things that if it was your own product, you would take pride in making it look presentable. I guess that is what you get with the cheaper knockoffs.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2