Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC5R

rebuidling an enclosure without a port hole?

hey guys,
    ive got a 12" kicker comp sub, that came in an original kicker box that was vented/ported. if im thinking of building another enclosure, will the sub still sound alright if i DONT put in a port hole in? as a result, will that improve the sound quality and reduce the loudness of the bass ?
    i ask because i want to try fibreglassing a custom one, but having a port hole seems to complicate the matter.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK
    From my expericence i like sealed boxes i find them having a tighter punch to them, however they and not as loud as a ported box.
    Wakefield Park: 1:14.29
    91 Kws Ftw!

Member Array
    Car:
    accord euro
    it will sound fine as long as you build it to spec, it wont be as efficent as the ported box so expect some drop in output

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    by spec, u mean just getting the right cubic volume of air in yeah?

Member Array
    Car:
    eg civic
    go to the website and look at the specs of the sub it will tell u the recommended size for the box

Member Array
    Car:
    EVO
    sealed is great cus its a little less strict on the exact amount of air volume needed. it doesnt matter how odd the shape of the enclosure is, even if youre give-or-take a litre off itll sound basically the same.

theres always gonna be a compromise with sealed vs ported.. sound quality wise, you might notice the bass is a little smoother, more refined & not as sloppy. it wont play the lower bass notes as loudly as ported but thats a damn good trade-off if you ask me

ensure the sub can actually operate in a sealed enclosure 1st tho cus some subs only function in one or the other.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    Quote Originally Posted by arverson View Post
    sealed is great cus its a little less strict on the exact amount of air volume needed. it doesnt matter how odd the shape of the enclosure is, even if youre give-or-take a litre off itll sound basically the same.

theres always gonna be a compromise with sealed vs ported.. sound quality wise, you might notice the bass is a little smoother, more refined & not as sloppy. it wont play the lower bass notes as loudly as ported but thats a damn good trade-off if you ask me

ensure the sub can actually operate in a sealed enclosure 1st tho cus some subs only function in one or the other.
    best answer yet! is there a way i can find out if my sub will support both ported and/or sealed? will the guys at jb hifi know?

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    oh nevermind, i just checked out the kicker website, had everything i needed.
    thanks guys!