Page 51 of 109 FirstFirst ... 414849505152535461101 ... LastLast
    hey string - know much abt the 'piston throw weight' point? in post #584
    B20VTEC - since 2002

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 Squared
    I'm going to have a troll through some books I have here, it doesn't ring a bell though.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 Squared
    I'm going to take a stab in the dark.

Piston throw weight - to me implies the weight of the piston above the pin which can be "thrown" around as such. At x amount of engine speed, the rotating components way more, alot more infact and at mean piston speed of say 25m/s, the g's on the interals are huge, this would mean that the throw weight of the piston would be alot heavier resulting in a greater force to move this weight, hence the greater force on the upwards motion of the piston. I don't know how the figures, 3x and 2x come about, but that's how I interpret it. Also may have something to do with intertia and resistance to change in direction.

There was a guy on here who pulled out a huge amount of physics related stuff once about rod bolts, what was his username? I think it was string actually.

Thanks for that. I will be using the stock IM / TB initially although I may get the TB bored (or buy a different one depending on price) -- I hear anywhere from 65mm - 70mm being used, with 68mm being most common. The Victor X is meant to produce good results, although the same can be said for a ported ITR IM (with a lot of meat taken out of it).

Are you hinting that even though the head may flow big numbers, I wouldn't have the IM / TB combo to support and that may mean restriction in IM then reduced velocity due to bigger ports etc? (i.e. I understand that

Adrian -- My Stage 1 was to re-use my current bolt-ons as fitted to the DC2R including clutch / flywheel / s300, exhaust / intake etc .. But if there is a 'Necessary' then I have to consider it in stage 1...

Stage 2 would be address bolt ons based on dyno result, restrictions etc ..

Priority is to build the engine -- I can upgrade other parts as I need to.. Just want to get the long block 'right' .. easier to change bolt ons than pistons/rods.. waiting on detailed info about the head as well..

Adrian -- Might give you a call later today if you have 5 mins for me to bounce some thoughts off ..

Quote Originally Posted by ewendc2r View Post
    Priority is to build the engine -- I can upgrade other parts as I need to.. Just want to get the long block 'right' .. easier to change bolt ons than pistons/rods.. waiting on detailed info about the head as well..
    this mentality is counter-productive.

the longblock will be 'right' ONLY if it is matched to other components.

it is the C word again...
    B20VTEC - since 2002

Ok so lets talk about the difference between using ported IM/68mmTB/BigTubeHeaders-70mm exhaust on the setup vs stock ITR IM/63?mmTB/

a little off topic ... But a restrictive header or intake would act as a restrictor i.e. limit hp but not torque?? so, theoretically (and maybe this is where i am going all wrong) by using my current bolt ons I would limit peak output to max flow capability of current boltons. so Torque may taper off instead of building at high rpm?

i.e. Can we discuss, what effect on torque curve will restrictive bolt ons create?

TB -- I've sent you a pm.

Quote Originally Posted by ewendc2r View Post
    Ok so lets talk about the difference between using ported IM/68mmTB/BigTubeHeaders-70mm exhaust on the setup
    what setup??????

as far as i can see there is no setup!!!
    B20VTEC - since 2002

Man ...

Damn work getting in the way of my forum trolling lol ..

I'll get back to you shortly.

Member Array
    Car:
    Gutted EF8
    Piston throw weight is important at very high rpm
    With a high comp b20 vtec piston to head clearence is very small

This is all explained in one of the articles at theoldone.com
    Basically they made a fully build b20 rev to 10000 rpm with all the best components rods etc
    They found that due to the small clearence that at that speed the rods where actually stretching due to the piston throw weight and the piston smashed into head and rooted the engine on there engine dyno
    So if you think about it a small relatively small mass of a piston to have so much force to stretch a high tensile rod

Quote Originally Posted by cotties View Post
    Piston throw weight is important at very high rpm
    With a high comp b20 vtec piston to head clearence is very small
    so 'piston throw weight' is just about 'rod stretch' is it?
    B20VTEC - since 2002

Member Array
    Car:
    Gutted EF8
    As far as I know someone else may correct me though

Thats more of a clearance issue though isn't it? I mean, they decked the block in that build with a very fine p2h clearance (or was it p2v?) -- A few more thou and he thinks he would've been ok ... i.e. lesson was to build that stretch into the tolerance..