Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2007 Honda CRV Luxury

Thumbs up Honda CRV 2007-2009 DVD/CD/GPS/Bluetooth Etc

Hi Guys,

Just bought my first second hand Honda, and I'm loving it. (2007 Honda CRV Luxury)

What I would like to know is, I have been looking around at all in one Navigation Head Units and wanted to know if anyone has used anything like this before.

The only ones I can find custom fit for a Honda CRV are at this website http://www.autodvdgps.com/ however I am not sure how reliable/dodgy thse are.

Anyone got experience with gear like this?

In my previous car (shitbox Hyundai Excel lol) I had installed a Laptop and ran linux with some carputer software on there, however this time I would like something a little more streamlined integrated into the dash.

Any opinions of what to do/get?

Polar Bear Array
    Car:
    09 RB1 Lux
    You can use Kenwood GPS system, it's a 7" screen connected to a processor box. My friend installed this on his Land Rover Discovery for about $3500 with reverse camera. But i don't like the display of the GPS. Or you can use a double din head unit with GPS capabilities like Pioneer, Alpine, JVC, etc.
    Team Agentz

Options Motorsports

My Accord Euro: [ENDUT]

My Odyssey: [BRUANG]

MY GARAGE SALE

Why did you buy a second hand since the new one is so cheap?
    I got a list of Honda CRV 2007 in dash car GPS
    http://www.chinacargps.com/honda-gps...ion-c-100.html
    I have bought the second one of this list. The latest version of firmware.
    Very amazing!
    But to be honest, i like the 7th, it's very expensive, even they gave me a coupon of 20USD. It's till 860USD!

Polar Bear Array
    Car:
    09 RB1 Lux
    I think what he meant second hand is the car not the GPS.
    Team Agentz

Options Motorsports

My Accord Euro: [ENDUT]

My Odyssey: [BRUANG]

MY GARAGE SALE

lol
    Look as if i have problem understanding English...

Quote Originally Posted by halihuya View Post
    Why did you buy a second hand since the new one is so cheap?
    I got a list of Honda CRV 2007 in dash car GPS
    http://www.chinacargps.com/honda-gps...ion-c-100.html
    I have bought the second one of this list. The latest version of firmware.
    Very amazing!
    But to be honest, i like the 7th, it's very expensive, even they gave me a coupon of 20USD. It's till 860USD!
    I prefer to order for autodvdgps.com. I checked both site, though there is price difference, personally I think Qualir is more reliable.
    I like to share my opinions as follows:
    1. I looked through 2 sites, and found that autodvdgps.com has long history, and they are confident to show their company' sign with its name. It seems chinacargps.com copied qualir's sites and made a little change. Of course I like lower price, but I care more about the company strength especially when they are not local brands.
    I emailed chinacargps.com for more real pictures taken from product model "FA-HONDACRV78", but they said they did not have currently....
    2. Qualir has more products available, and description is more accurate. Chinacargps.com says the unit is 800*480,but in the specification, it is 1440*234...
    These are just my opinions, just for your guys reference,

There are plenty of them on ebay with great price.

Interesting discussion.

GPS is not high price any more!

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1998 CRV
    If i buy a unit from http://www.autodvdgps.com/, does the radio and GPS work in Australia?

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2007 CRV
    Afternoon All,
    I too am looking at the idea of an aftermarket GPS in dash unit for my 2007 CRV,
    I do have a few questions some have been answered that I hope some one on here can answer from their experience.
    any photos of your install too would be helpful.

1- What model or at least a link to the model that you bought.
    2- Did the unit come with all Australian maps loaded ?
    3- Duty or customs issues ?
    4- Installation issues , was the steering controls retained, and the back lighting is still blue like factory?
    5- I have read on all of these units that they do not charge the iphone/ipod.? is this true?
    6- Boot up time are they relatively quick?

i was going to get a quote from Honda but I would imagine that they are quite pricey.

Thanks in advance,

Mark.

Member Array
    Car:
    Gen 1 CRV, Gen 3 CRV
    I just got one of these head units installed in my 09 CRV about a week ago now.

1) http://cgi.ebay.com.au/7-HD-DVD-DVB-...-/260629708204
    I specifically picked this model because it has a 533MHz processor and 128MB RAM. Most units on the market are 400MHz and 64MB RAM, which apparently struggles with TTS.

2) Yes, NZ as well. Not hard to find more maps if you want to. It comes with iGo8 on the SD card. The unit runs Win CE 5, so you should be able to run any other compatible navigation software you want.

3) No, the seller is in Queensland

4) From my couple of weeks of researching, that depends on the unit. The one I got does have steering controls. Its configurable in software, so basically you tell the software you're about to press a button, then press it, and it'll tie that button press with that particular function in the future. It looked like each button had a difference resistance on it and the unit just detects that. My unit is mostly white light, which pretty much the same as the backlight you get on the original buttons.

5) My unit charges and plays my iPhone/iPod fine (3GS and 5th gen Nano). The iPhone gives me a warning saying that the accessory may cause interference and asks whether I want to go into airplane mode. I never do and haven't had a problem.

6) Pretty quick. About <10 seconds for the shell software to show up, and maybe another 5 seconds to start iGo. But its not like your regular GPS units that sleep when you hit the power button (so they come back straight into navigating when you turn it back on). The unit completely powers down when you turn your car off so you have to wait for it to boot each time.

I was under the impression Honda doesn't have any GPS head units?

Other thoughts of mine:

1) Its not a 100% flush fit, but close enough

2) Its pretty much a drop in replacement. You unplug the original harness from the original head unit. The new unit has its own harness that plugs into the back on one then, and into the original harness on the other end.

3) This unit does NOT wire in the original AUX input (the 3.5mm jack in the centre console), so now its just disconnected. The new unit has its own AUX A/V in (for a reverse camera), but those are RCA inputs. I'd have to wire the original harness to the new unit's RCA plugs to get the 3.5mm jack working again. Not majorly bothered by it, seeing it has the iPhone/iPod line, which is what I used the 3.5mm jack for anyway.

4) I have the genuine Honda bluetooth module. I installed this myself and wanted to keep using it. The BT unit piggybacked onto the original harness - my guess was it redirected the speakers between the head unit and itself when a call came through since it automatically muted the head unit. But this is not the case with the new head unit. Either a) the new head unit doesn't understand a mute signal come from the BT unit, or b) theres some physical wiring missing that makes this happen. I haven't had time to look in the service manual to find out either. But not another major issue: the new unit has a mute button, which is something the original lacked.

5) You can have the GPS voice guidance on at the same time (it plays through the front two speakers) as the radio/iPod/TV, but it automatically turns down the volume of the background temporarily while the voice guidance plays, which I don't like. And theres no way to turn this off.

6) Leading from the above, the shell software isn't very configurable or professional looking.

Its not perfect, but overall I'm pretty happy with it.