Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    CL9
    ^ did you do the installation yourself?

If so..
    - how hard was it to take out the original head unit?
    - was there a GPS antenna and where did you install that?
    - how good is the picture when watching tv? where did you mount the antenna?
    - any other cables or antenna's you need to mount on your dash or else where?

Thanks.
    Last edited by traumatized; 14-07-2010 at 11:09 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Gen 1 CRV, Gen 3 CRV
    Quote Originally Posted by traumatized
    did you do the installation yourself? how hard was it to take out the original head unit?
    Yes I did. Its not that difficult to take out the original head unit, but I think like most modern cars now things are held together with plastic clips which might make things hard to take apart. The unit doesn't come with instructions - you need to know how to do it yourself (you can source out service manuals on some CRV forums). It basically involves:
    1) Take out the HVAC controls (the fan/AC controls)
    2) Take out the small panel behind the vents that is above the head unit
    3) Remove the vents
    4) 4 screws and a couple of clips and the head unit is out
    Its easy on paper, but like I said its mostly held in with plastic clips so it can take some forcing to get out. I needed to get the original head unit out to install the Honda bluetooth unit once before, so I already knew what I was doing (<10 mins to get it out)

was there a GPS antenna and where did you install that?
    Yes there was. Its one of those generic GPS antennas with a MMCX connector. I placed it under the panel above the vents. I just cable tied it to the plastic mounting that was under the panel. No reception problems whatsoever. The first GPS fix took a while, but after that its been perfect.

how good is the picture when watching tv? where did you mount the antenna?
    Its pretty good, but I can only receive SBS where I am (metro Sydney). I suspect its the antenna because its absolutely tiny, but the reception is good when it has any. At least I could watch the world cup in my car though I put the antenna in the same place as the GPS antenna. I wasn't particularly fussed about the TV - I just got it because I could. Also, it doesn't do HD channels either (not suprisingly)

any other cables or antenna's you need to mount on your dash or else where?
    No, I deliberately mounted the GPS and TV antenna out of sight underneath that panel - I didn't want anything mounted on the dash or the body. If you're confused about which panel, imagine looking at your head unit, above the head unit are the two air vents and the hazard lights switch, keep going up along the plastic and theres a small panel before you reach the windscreen. Underneath that panel its hollow. The US version of the CRV which has factory sat nav mounts the GPS antenna in there as well.

It does have a second harness which gives out RCA outputs for the speakers and AV in for the reverse camera, which I haven't done yet. The camera that comes with it is a cylindrical one thats probably supposed to sit in a hole in your bumper, and seeing I just installed the front/rear lower trims I'd rather not drill a hole in two bumpers!! I'm going to look for a different kind of camera that I can mount above the license plate before I do the wiring for that (and probably wire up the 3.5mm jack at the same time)

Sorry I don't have pics with me atm! Hope that helps!
    Last edited by sunnyl; 14-07-2010 at 11:56 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    CL9
    Thanks for the quick response, much appriecated. My parents just got a 2010 Sport and I wanted to get this unit for them as a gift so I want it to be decent enough to be a gift and not be dodgy.

So anymore information you can give me would be great. Also when you stated it does not sit flash how far form flash is it?

Member Array
    Car:
    Gen 1 CRV, Gen 3 CRV
    Quote Originally Posted by traumatized View Post
    Also when you stated it does not sit flash how far form flash is it?
    I'll get some photos up tonight.

Member Array
    Car:
    CL9
    that would be great. thanks in advance.

oh you mentioned it does not do HD, however in the pictures on ebay it shows HD channels. or did you mean it doesn't display in HD?
    Last edited by traumatized; 14-07-2010 at 01:28 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Gen 1 CRV, Gen 3 CRV
    Quote Originally Posted by traumatized View Post
    that would be great. thanks in advance.

oh you mentioned it does not do HD, however in the pictures on ebay it shows HD channels. or did you mean it doesn't display in HD?
    The channels are listed, but when you try and view that channel is says the signal is bad or encrypted (or something like that).

Member Array
    Car:
    CL9
    fair enough. please do take pictures if you can for me tonight.

cheers

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2007 CRV
    Thanks Sunny, this info is quite helpful ,
    Was a coincidence i was looking at the same ebay listing also,
    and did note the 128mb of ram on this unit which i imagine speeds things
    up quite a bit also.
    You mentioned that the software isn't very configurable ? in what way?
    And the fact that its not very professional looking ?
    I was going to ask you if this unit has the facility for caller ID on the head unit ? but you have the factory BT installed so
    that answered that question

im looking forward to some pics of it too when you get a chance ,this will probably answer alot of questions.

Cheers ,

Mark.

Member Array
    Car:
    Gen 1 CRV, Gen 3 CRV
    Mark, its just the software itself, eg, you can't change the colour scheme or skin of the software. Maybe I'm just being a bit critical of it (I'm a software developer by day). For example, in the top right of the screen, it scrolls between showing you the time, day of the week, and date. Whats the point of having the day of the week and date when you're driving?? Theres no way to change this to show just the time.

Other quirks:
    1) When you have your driving lights on, your instruments light up as well, and everything lights up according to the brightness set on the instrument panel. The head unit doesn't obey that setting. Its just constantly at one brightness.
    2) Although you can adjust the brightness of the screen in software, the shell software doesn't automatically adjust for ambient lighting or time of the day. iGo automatically changes to a "night" colour scheme past a certain time
    3) You can turn off the LCD with the button on the top right, however, using the steering controls (like turning the volume up/down) turns the screen back on.

I may sound a bit critical of this unit, but I'm just pointing out all the little imperfections - its still a great device - I'm nit picking here!

I've uploaded the photos to: http://www.sunny.id.au/crv/gps/

I've tested the BT, and yep it shows the incoming number of the screen (after a couple of rings though, see pic). In one of the photos I've adjusted the brightness to show the HVAC controls, there you can see the contours don't match up exactly anymore because of the head unit. Theres also some gaps where lighting from the unit shows through.
    Last edited by sunnyl; 15-07-2010 at 08:42 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    CL9
    thanks for the pictures sunny, thanks for also taking the time to be detailed also.

how are the gps maps? and spoken directions? is the interface any to use? (parents and technology dont get along really)

Member Array
    Car:
    Gen 1 CRV, Gen 3 CRV
    The maps are great. The seller sends iGo 8.3.4 and Sensis R17 maps (Feb 2010), which you can always update yourself - I've already updated to a newer version of iGo. The maps are the newest available.

He also includes the gurjon skin (http://www.gurjon.com/gj_scr/), which I found a little overwhelming to use and had some errors. I'm using the dimka skin (http://www.igo8mods.com/dimka.htm) instead. If they don't get well with technology then maybe using iGO without any skins would be better as its much more straight forward to use without any skins. Having those skins makes things more accessible, but makes the interface way way more complicated.

The voices are fine too. For TTS iGo only has UK and US voices, which I'm not particularly fond of. I don't think any AU TTS voices exist yet for iGo. I'm just using the regular directions which sound really good, or I mute the GPS because it messes with the music thats playing.

Member Array
    Car:
    CL9
    thanks again, seems like a decent enough unit from what you have described. now just gotta bid for one and hope to get one for a good price. if I have anymore questions i'll let you know