Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    DA3->EK1->DC2->

DIY Ignition Control Module (ICM) Replacement. Lots of Pics!

Disclaimer: The following are provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself. nor the original writer, nor Ozhonda
    take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

DIY Ignition Control Module (ICM) Replacement
    By specialst

Firstly. this guide is written specifically for the DC2/4 Honda Integra with a B series engine. May also apply to others as well.

This guide will purely focus on how to replace the ICM

If this guide has help you, please acknowldge it by leaving a comment and rep point.

Ignition Control Module 101-
    The ICM is a component inside the distributor.

Has your ICM failed?
    Before concluding that your ICM has failed, it is best that you follow the Honda Service manual for diagnostic tests:

Refer to section “23-95” of the 1994 Honda Integra service manual for instructions to test your Ignition Coil. Note: vehicles with failed ignition coil wont ever start up. A coil is either working or failed unlike the ICM.

Refer to section “23-96” of the 1994 Honda Integra service manual for instructions to test your ICM. Also have a read of EdgeAutos guide which has some nice photos as well. It can be found here: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56224

www.Team-Integra.net also has an awesome article on the “Distributor Anatomy”. It can be found here: http://www.team-integra.net/forum/di...g+Common+Topic

Do not automatically assume your ICM has failed. Other common causes of engine cuts include; the main relay and fuel pump. These will not be discussed here. The search tool is your friend!

These failing parts are becoming a victim of age as well as normal wear and tear. A failed ICM usually occurs when the engine is HOT. It often results in the following symptoms:
    • Engine cut while driving. You will still be rolling with little or no power
    • Engine fails to start after engine cut. But drives fine once engine is let to cool.
    • Tachometer gone crazy and/or unresponsive and/or jumping

Next is a peek at my replacement ICM.

The Replacement ICM
    I am sure that there are other brands out there but for this session I have:

Brand: Tridon
    Part: Ignition Control Module
    Part No: TIM032
    Application: B18B2
    Origin: Australia
    Warranty: Lifetime (The OEM part is made by NEC and OKI which only lasted 15 years =P)

Next is a guide to replacing the ICM.

Replacing Your ICM

What You Will Need:
    Replacement ICM
    8mm, 10mm and 12mm spanner
    Impact Screw Driver with Bits
    Hammer
    Phillips Head Screw Driver
    Solvent & Rags
    Thread Locker
    Probably other stuff I have missed

Getting to the ICM:

1) Disconnect the battery at the negative terminal.

2) Remove Distributor Cap by undoing the three 8mm hex bolts. Do not use a screw driver despite the look! You will end up rounding them off!

3) Remove the rotor. Use an Impact Screw Driver to remove the screw holding it on. You will need an Impact driver because its on damn tight!!
    NB. If you cannot see the rotor screw behind the dizzy - its because the motor + pistons arnt in the "correct position"
    I dunno if its TDC or what but to get around this:
    Replace and screw on the rotor cap and briefly crank the engine by turning the ignition key. This will change the rotors position (BYM's way lol). Repeat until you can see the rotor screw (rotor will be in the identical position as the photo).

4) Squeeze off the dust cover by its sides.

5) Hello ICM!!!!

Removing the ICM

6) It is imperative to note the position of the wires and terminal connections!!! Take many photos if needed. Take the wires off.

7) Remove the two screws that hold the ICM and slide the ICM out.

Preparing the OEM Heat Sink for Re-Use

8) Remove the screws attaching the heat sink attached to the OEM ICM. Put the OEM ICM aside.

9) Clean the heat sink thoroughly with an appropriate solvent and rag! I used Methylated Spirits. Ensure the surface is clean and free of all contaminants.

Preparing the new ICM

10) Clean the ICM thoroughly with an appropriate solvent and cloth! Again I used Methylated Spirits. Ensure the surface is clean and free of all contaminants.

11) Spread a liberal amount of Conductive Grease onto the heatsink. Covering the entire surface.

12) Re-attach the greased Heat Sink and ICM using the same screws. Clean any excess grease away.

Note: You MUST use conductive grease between the Heat Sink and ICM. The same way your PC’s CPU and Heatsink have that conductive paste.

Re-Assembling
    13) Slide the ICM back into the distributor housing same way it came out.

14) Screw the ICM tightly bak into place. Use medium blue Thread Locker to ensure the screws stay nice and tight. You do not want the ICM coming loose whilst your revving it the motor to a heavenly 8200 rpm!!! Did I mention; USE THREAD LOCKER!

15) Attach the correct wires to their terminals (you took photos... right?)

16) Put the dust cover back on firmly into place.

17) Put the Rotor back on the same position it came off.

18) Affix Rotor Screw. Again USE THREAD LOCKER and do it up nice n tight. A dizzy rotor coming loose at 8200 rpm is sure to make you CRY! You ain’t in heaven anymore mate! Welcome back to reality.

19) Bolt the dizzy cap bak on. This one just needs normal tightness. Do Not Over Tighten!

Congratulations! You have changed your Ignition Control Module and also saved yourself from buying a new $700 dizzy from Honda.

PDF: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OVTKKV03
    Last edited by specialst; 22-04-2010 at 05:22 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Good Job!

Member Array
    Car:
    DA3->EK1->DC2->
    thanks mate.

please comment if u like it (and if u dont like it) and feel free to leave comments and questions.

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Door EK GLi
    Great job mate, very detailed DIY, should make it easy for alot of others to do this job too

Member Array
    Car:
    DA3->EK1->DC2->
    Thanks man.
    Much appreciate the positive feedback. I try to do as many write up's as i can.

Member Array
    Car:
    4WD 89 Concerto
    would a car stalling randomly but can be fired back up first go without troubles be a sign of a failing ICM?
    OEM parts whore

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Yes,exactly what happens!

Stupid ICM!!

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    92 Integra LS
    Noob question, does a DA9 have an ICM

Quote Originally Posted by Irinkanji View Post
    Noob question, does a DA9 have an ICM
    It does.
    I have signatures turned off

Member Array
    Car:
    4WD 89 Concerto
    i finally got around to changing my ICM, it wasnt as easy as this one though, i had to remove the whole distributor!!
    OEM parts whore

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Damn,so U had to set the timing yeah?

Member Array
    Car:
    4WD 89 Concerto
    nah i just marked all 3 distrubutor mounting points with a permanent marker, then i took it out for a spin and came back with a big because now my tacho works properly
    OEM parts whore