Moderator Array
    Car:
    RiceTrolley.

: DC2 Third Brake Light Install

Disclaimer: The following are provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself. nor the original writer, nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Aim: adding a 3rd brake light. DC2

Tools:
    - screws/drivers
    - electrical wires/tapes
    - 3rd brake light

Steps:

1. Remove the boot panel by pulling it down, easier if start from the back towards the front, middle to sides.

* May have to use a flat head screw driver first to open up a gap before pulling the panel/clips down

2. open the cover of the brake light, need to cut off the clip bit that is sticking out at the front, otherwise it will not sit properly on the boot panel

* while at it, plug the light into the connection wire in the boot, to ensure its working properly (in my case it was not had to get one of the bulbs replaced)

3. close the cover and line the light up in the middle of the panel, mark each side with a sharp object

4. the light needs to be secured to the panel, use a drill to put a hole through the light onto the panel, try to use smallest drill you have otherwise later if the screw is too small it will not be tight enough

* drill a 3rd hole next to one of the others, to be used for wire feeding later

5. after holes are drilled, screw the bottom half of the cover onto the panel, ensure its tight enough.

* test fit

6. cut/split the tape open, as long as you need. Leave enough length from the connection head and cut the wire.

7. stripe the wires and add extension from the primary connection to the 3rd brake light (do not connect the wire onto the primary head yet)

* ENSURE TO REMEMBER THE COLOUR OF THE WIRES WHEN ADD EXTENSION -ve to –ev AND +ve to +ve of course

8. after the extension is done, feed the wire through the 3rd hole that was drilled into the light cover

9. once the wires are through connect it to the connection plug, again ensure the correct wires are been taped together, then plug the connection into the light to check if it works

10. all done, now the last step is to put everything back together.
    I found easier by taking the left hand side window panel off then slide the boot panel back on and the window one after

Last edited by m3ntAL_l2; 05-02-2010 at 04:35 PM.
    凸-_-凸

Hi -- question for you. I'm thinking about doing this after I tried doing a few other ways of mounting this (I didn't want to put holes into the plastic) but I think I might just go ahead with this. My question is -- does that light make noise over bumps? Is it butted right up against the glass? Or is there a bit of space above the end (towards the driver).

After looking at it, two screws in that location looks like it would allow it to vibrate lots still.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    RiceTrolley.
    the light is not butted right up against the glass, there is a gap in between, no noises when going over bumps as the light itself is very secured to plastic
    凸-_-凸

Can this method be used with a spoiler as well? As in connection to the brake light