Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    ABA-EP3, LA-EP3

Whiny noise in 1st gear.

Whenever I am coasting with my clutched pressed and my shifter in first (such as when I'm slowing down to a stoplight), I hear a whining noise coming from the engine bay. The whine is higher pitched the faster I go, and fades away when I'm fully stopped. Is this a normal sound for manual in general?

Coasting in any other gear doesn't make any sound, just gear 1. I don't normally coast with clutch in but it's something I noticed when I tried.
    Last edited by Poeter; 10-02-2010 at 11:19 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra DA9
    i'm just having a wild guess.. but gearbox oil?

I change gearbox oil and .. my gears dont crunch anymore? and the gb feels brand newww lol.

Give it a try? unless u have a syncho problem.. When u chuck into first.. is it harder than the other gears?

slim your car had TWICE the amount of fluid inside lol and it was dark and murky. No wonder it felt like new !

Yeah , as he said try replacing the gearbox fluid it maybe alittle low or need replacement

Member Array
    Car:
    EJ8, DC2R
    hey guys ive had the same problem just changed my gear box oil and it went away give it a try it worked for me

This is a educated guess, BUT!

1) first is a straight cut gear so it'll whine if you engage it whilst moving

2) you shouldn't be going to first whilst you are rolling, go to second. Only engage first when you are stationary (being a straight cut gear it'll just grind into gear if you are moving forward)

Member Array
    Car:
    Dc2 + EG
    Quote Originally Posted by I heart the SSS View Post
    This is a educated guess, BUT!

1) first is a straight cut gear so it'll whine if you engage it whilst moving

2) you shouldn't be going to first whilst you are rolling, go to second. Only engage first when you are stationary (being a straight cut gear it'll just grind into gear if you are moving forward)
    double clutch

Quote Originally Posted by lil_foy View Post
    double clutch
    yes you can do that too lol.

first gear isn't straight cut?? Just reverse.

Member Array
    Car:
    green whip!
    i'm with jason, iirc first is not straight cut on honda's

my guess is a bearing is slowly going/gone and most evident while in first and not bad enough to be detected in other gears

Quote Originally Posted by JasonGilholme View Post
    first gear isn't straight cut?? Just reverse.

exactly right. 1st gear is sitting just below the reverse/idle gear. Its at a slight angle hence not straight cut.

I will add that any whine in 1st gear is a worn bearing under load , it needs eventual replacement

Member Array
    Car:
    ABA-EP3, LA-EP3
    hmm, for some reason now, the faint whine is now happening in 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

This time not riding the clutch. It will now occur under light load or light deceleration.

Gear selection is fine but the noise is very annoying even though it is faint.

I've changed Honda MTF twice and Honda told me this is normal. It's the noise of the diff. 0.0

Another disturbing fact is that this is a brand new honda gearbox out of my own pocket. I hope Honda will honour warranty if the whine becomes more unbearable. The box is only 5months old and done about 10000km.

I think I might be having issues similar to this thread minus noises on full lock

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...ighlight=whine.

I remember when my very first gearbox fluid was drained, it had some black tiny sediments and fluid looked a bit dark. Not a good sign for a new box
    Last edited by Poeter; 23-02-2010 at 04:38 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK4
    Im having the same problem when taking off slowly in first gear and when i pick up speed it goes away, also slowing down and chucking it fron 3rd to 2nd gear and it also has the whining noise my car is an EK4. Is it that the oil is low? how can i check, i have no idea where its located at the gearbox.

*edit: Its gotten louder since, when it was faint i though it was normal.
    Last edited by hondaEK4; 05-04-2010 at 05:35 PM.
    WTB:
    -facelift rear bar 99-00 ek
    -Genuine Window visors.