Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1989 CRX

DC5 gearbox problems?

Been looking to buy a DC5 Type S but have read a lot of stuff on the net about chronic problems with the 6 speed gearbox. Does this apply to Australian delivered models? All the info I have been reading is in regards to the Acura RSX.

Sorry if this has been discussed before, did a search and couldn't find anything.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    Acura RSX-S (2005+) is exactly the same as an AUDM DC5S.
    And yes, the Type S has a 3rd gear problem.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...t=dc5s+gearbox

Changing the transmission fluid kind of helps but probably just masks the problem.

The FN2R Civic's and (8th gen Civic Si in the US) also have this 3rd gear problem.

Personally I only have this problem once in a blue moon. Usually when shifting above 5k.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1989 CRX
    Thanks for the info Raven. This issue has really got me reconsidering my purchase. Can any DC5 owners let me know if this issue significantly effects their experience with the car?

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EG5 VTI
    Another issue is the common 2nd gear grind/notch which occurs on my 05 type-S. I have been lucky and never had any 3rd gear problems however. Its worst when the car is cold, fine when its warmed up, but never completley smooth. Its done it since I got the car at 40k, now at 68k and seems no worse. New gbox oil helps, I tried Honda oem and redline MTL. Prefer the honda stuff.

As Raven said, anything you read on the RSX applies, except for the service bulletin to try and fix it, we diddnt get that here.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    Quote Originally Posted by Nighthawk_S View Post
    Another issue is the common 2nd gear grind/notch which occurs on my 05 type-S. I have been lucky and never had any 3rd gear problems however. Its worst when the car is cold, fine when its warmed up, but never completley smooth. Its done it since I got the car at 40k, now at 68k and seems no worse. New gbox oil helps, I tried Honda oem and redline MTL. Prefer the honda stuff.

As Raven said, anything you read on the RSX applies, except for the service bulletin to try and fix it, we diddnt get that here.
    AFAIK The 2nd gear grind is only 'common' in the DC5R (or Prefacelift DC5). That issue was fixed in the Facelift DC5's (hence DC5S) but we're left with the 3rd gear problem.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EG5 VTI
    Well after trolling through alot of threads in the past on clubRSX.com, its pretty clear that the 2nd gear problem can still affect all year models, and my car is proof of it, maybe less common on the 05-06's cos the cars are newer?

Member Array
    Car:
    TYPE-S
    some aftermarket mounts will fix this problem, ive never had a problem since i got innovative mounts put in, makes a world of difference.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1989 CRX
    Finally got around to test driving a Type S on Saturday and it popped out of third twice in 10 minutes. That was enough to put me off the car as I really don't want to spend time fixing it, so I'll stick with the old CRX for a little while longer.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5 Integra Type R
    Changing the oil regularly will help but in coincidence only, I changed the gear knob to a buddy club type b and the 2nd gear crunch disappeared for me.
    Maybe think about changing the knob to a lighter one might do the trick.