Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array

buyer pulls out of car sale do you keep deposit ?

just question if your sold your car private to someone they pull out can you keep there deposit?

thanks

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5
    yes u can

Member Array
    Car:
    CB7> EM1>MPS3
    personal preference

if you feel he wasted your time, wen you genuinely could have sold it, if you hadnt taken the deposit,, then keep it..

Just depends on you... i mean, does the dude look like he will cause trouble? if he inspected your car at your place. and knows where u live etc etc.. and u dont give the deposit backk.. he maybe get back at you.
    I MISS VTEC.... BOOST is OVERATED lol

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    MV Agusta F4
    Depends on what the agreement was between you to. But generally 'yes' you do keep it.
    Deano.

Member Array
    thats the general point of a deposit. - to hold something.

having said that, obviously there is discretion and general agreements that may of been made prior.

Member Array
    Car:
    integra ls
    as above, depends very much on the agreement.

If it was me, in the absence of any specific arrangement, I'd refund it if I thought the buyer had a genuine reason and hadn't just been stupid/lazy/stuffed me around.

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    U know what's fair and what's not.

It comes down to the deal,how it was etc.

Like if he gave U a $500 deposit,U wouldn't keep it BUT if he gave U a $500 deposit and kept U waiting for 6 months,take the $500 by all means!!

So,it depends on the deal.U know what's fair.

I gave someone $100 deposit,I stuffed him around because after a week I cancelled on him.What was fair was for me to offer/give him $50 of that and he refund the other $50.That is what would have been fair in that circumstance.

But he decided to keep it all which I thought wasn't very nice.

Member Array
    Car:
    E92 M3
    ill give it back cause i'm a nice guy and if that happened to me i would hope they give back my deposit

Member Array
    Quote Originally Posted by beeza View Post
    U know what's fair and what's not.

It comes down to the deal,how it was etc.

Like if he gave U a $500 deposit,U wouldn't keep it BUT if he gave U a $500 deposit and kept U waiting for 6 months,take the $500 by all means!!

So,it depends on the deal.U know what's fair.

I gave someone $100 deposit,I stuffed him around because after a week I cancelled on him.What was fair was for me to offer/give him $50 of that and he refund the other $50.That is what would have been fair in that circumstance.

But he decided to keep it all which I thought wasn't very nice.
    as much as i agree it ' wasnt very nice ' i think that was fair.
    simply because thats what a deposit is for. Obviously in your situation beeza, it would of been great if he was kind to give u the lot back, or even $50 - but, thats a deposit!

keeping the deposit or returning it/some of it comes down to ones agreements and how much of a 'nice ' guy you are.

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    EXACTLY!!

'keeping the deposit or returning it/some of it comes down to ones agreements and how much of a 'nice ' guy you are.'

THAT is exactly my point.

I was nothing but honest.That's why I got pissed off,cause obviously all that nice guy stuff did not matter with this guy,the money ruled.That's cool,lesson learnt!

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Personally whenever I am selling a car I write out a receipt that says something along the lines of:

"I, Andrew *******, have received a non-refundable deposit of $100 from ****** ****** for the purchase one Honda blahblahblah, with an outstanding sum of $**** to be paid upon acquisition of a RWC.

Signed

Signed

This basically means that they've agreed to buy the car once I get a RWC, so I take a non-refundable deposit of $100 and use it to pay for a RWC check, then deduct that $100 from the principal when I deliver the car in exchange for the remainder of the money.

If they pull out, then I haven't wasted $100 getting a RWC which will expire in 30 days and be useless if somebody doesn't buy it within that time.
    If I haven't paid for the RWC check yet and I believe that the person is pulling out of the deal for a reason that arouses my compassion then I'll return it.
    But I think if they've wasted my time or are just messing me about, or even if I've had to take a day off work going down maybe $200 to meet them and show them the car...then screw it - it was agreed as non-refundable.

So take that into consideration, but it's up to you.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG+CL9
    ^^^^^^ +1

whenever i am doing private deals with large items i do the same ... cant be too careful these days!
    ----------------------------
    D15b Turbo EG Sedan Build + CL9 Lux N/A Build
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127680