Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Jazz Vibe VTi

iPhone Integration

My wife and I are iPhone users and we are planning to buy second hand Jazz (circa 2003-2004). I want to have a place for us to hold the phone, to connect it to audio and to charge. I am a bit reluctant with cigarette lighter charge and FM Transmitter/Aux In Jack solution. I'd want a USB to iPhone solution.
    I see two options:
    1) Get new head unit. That means I need to fork out extra 150 bucks (checked on eBay) for double DIN fascia on top of the head unit. Ideal but EXPENSIVE.
    2) Get adaptor to stock audio unit. I saw this solution in US eBay and UK eBay (120 bucks) but none in Oz eBay. Will they work? Anyone tried?

Appreciate your help....

personally i use a bluetooth headunit and i love it since it cuts off the music and plays the received calls through the car speakers.

alternatively what you can do is purchase a cigg lighter usb charger for the iphone (prob $10 from ebay ) then purchase a bluetooth visor speakerphone, these range from $40 - $120, again price reflects quality... basically you only have to charge speakerphone once every few weeks if you dont use it often, and whenever you get a call from your phone it will transfer directly to the speakerphone and you can take it from there, completely legal only downside is that you have to mute your stereo each time you do that

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Jazz Vibe VTi
    Quote Originally Posted by fillit View Post
    alternatively what you can do is purchase a cigg lighter usb charger for the iphone (prob $10 from ebay ) then purchase a bluetooth visor speakerphone, these range from $40 - $120, again price reflects quality... basically you only have to charge speakerphone once every few weeks if you dont use it often, and whenever you get a call from your phone it will transfer directly to the speakerphone and you can take it from there, completely legal only downside is that you have to mute your stereo each time you do that
    Thanks for your feedback - but your alternative option did not given me enough integration to the audio system.

Old Jazz does not have USB or Aux in - which is dissapointing.

I don't think using an aux in would suffice as you would still need to have a source for the microphone, using the iPod earphones there is a microphone inbuilt, however if it is plugged in via aux in theory it should play through car speakers but you would have no voice input.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Jazz Vibe VTi
    You are right on the microphone - forgot about that.

I am not sure if I put in bluetooth handsfree, when call in during music playing, the voice (not music as it'll fade out) will be in audio system as well.

Getting an iPhone compatible head unit that can do all those seems more appealing. Not the Chinese Double DIN ones, though. I guess it's what they say - you get what you pay....

the bluetooth speakerphone is completely seperate from the headunit, it purely works as a device on its own and you just clip it onto the sun visor. It would be the quickest fix.

however if the resources are available i would definitely suggest getting a bluetooth headunit as it is money well spent, however the only downside is wiring the micro through your trim

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Jazz Vibe VTi
    Update:

We finally bought Jazz Vibe VTi so it comes with bluetooth. We did not want to change the head unit at this stage being new and all - and just use Belkin Tunebase to someway makes it integrated.

However the Tunebase swayed often which is annoying...

Quote Originally Posted by cyberlucky View Post
    Update:

We finally bought Jazz Vibe VTi so it comes with bluetooth. We did not want to change the head unit at this stage being new and all - and just use Belkin Tunebase to someway makes it integrated.

However the Tunebase swayed often which is annoying...
    The standard factory BT is good. I use it often.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Jazz Vibe VTi
    Anybody here use iPhone in Jazz? How do you setup the cradle?

personally i dont use a cradle, i just let it sit in the cup holder and use voice recognition when i want to make a call

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    GD3 VTi-S
    Hi cyberlucky,
    As has been already mentioned, I went down the aftermarket Headunit way, with intergrated Bluetooth, extremely handy as the Music/GPS/DVD/Radio all cut out when there is a Phone Call in progress, I picked up the Facia from JDM Yard here in Sydney, then got a loom conversion from eBay, all plugged in perfectly with no need to cut the factory wiring loom etc.
    But since you purchased the New Car, its all there for you.
    If yopu are considering a cradle to hold your iPhone, try a company called Hold My Phone, they have many different holders for different places in the Jazz.